Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 114

Thread: What level of celebrations bother you by Steelers?

  1. #51
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I like to watch the GAME, just not all the extraneous garbage that goes with it these days.

    I guess football wasn't entertaining 40 years ago, before anyone was performing pre-planned sack celebrations and doing first down antics?

    I understand it's a game. And as I said, I'm not against spontaneous displays of emotion. But I could do without the constant showing off.

    Do I expect it to change? Nah. Our whole society is growing more and more "me first." I don't expect football to get better in this regard. But I don't have to like it. Just as you don't have to like all the things the Commissioner or the league decides/does.

    So because I dislike one aspect of what's going on in the NFL, I have to turn it off completely or watch something else? Come on.
    40 years ago Billy White Shoes Johnson did the funky chicken and the six shooter in Houston... it made him popular with fans.



    He was getting ready to do a split. NFL Network has a top 10 TD celebration and they always pay homage to the guys from 40+ years ago. These guys helped build the league and people LOVED those high fives in the endzone and back flips.

    Not saying you have to love it but I think this is one of those "back in my day we had real music" while forgetting how their parents also said the same thing when they saw Elvis dancing onstage.

    I never said you "have" to turn it off. Just letting you know there are other options.

  2. #52
    Yes, there were TD celebrations 40+ years ago...but sack dances and first down celebrations? Not so much.

  3. #53
    feltdizz what's up w/ all this? Your comments are what I would expect an ahole troll to write, no my post was not about race in any way shape or form, what gives you the inside knowledge to say it was? "I don't want to play the race card," you wrote. Oh, really??

    This is a Steeler forum, not a sociology class, right?

    Moderators, please note I didn't say _anyone_ was an ahole, my comments were about the content of a post.


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  4. #54
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Yes, there were TD celebrations 40+ years ago...but sack dances and first down celebrations? Not so much.
    Not 40 years old, but over 30 years ago. MG did have a sack dance, of sorts.


  5. #55
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    feltdizz what's up w/ all this? Your comments are what I would expect an ahole troll to write, no my post was not about race in any way shape or form, what gives you the inside knowledge to say it was? "I don't want to play the race card," you wrote. Oh, really??

    This is a Steeler forum, not a sociology class, right?

    Moderators, please note I didn't say _anyone_ was an ahole, my comments were about the content of a post.
    You just happened to be the one I responded to about Heath. It wasn't directed to YOU and apologies if it came off that way because I quoted you. My response is directed at EVERYBODY who says "be more like Heath" LOL.

    This isn't the first time I've spoken on this and I will continue to do so when it comes up. We don't need AB to be like Heath. AB has a jersey in Canton already. Whatever he is doing he needs to do more of it (unles if it gets a 15 yarder).

    and mods.. I'm not offended by his accusation. I'm an adult and can handle my post being criticized/called a-holish.

  6. #56
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,167
    I must be a loser then because I see no reason to act the fool once you accomplish what you are paid to do. A high five is nice, applauding your teammate is a nice gesture or spiking the ball is okay. All the other stuff is simply, " look at me " .

  7. #57
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I must be a loser then because I see no reason to act the fool once you accomplish what you are paid to do. A high five is nice, applauding your teammate is a nice gesture or spiking the ball is okay. All the other stuff is simply, " look at me " .
    ...and guess what? You look at them.

    They are paid to entertain and a lot of them end up getting paid to endorse things becuase they become popular.

    If they were paid to give handshakes, clap for teammates and not celebrate I could see your point but the market says otherwise.

  8. #58
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ...and guess what? You look at them.

    They are paid to entertain and a lot of them end up getting paid to endorse things becuase they become popular.

    If they were paid to give handshakes, clap for teammates and not celebrate I could see your point but the market says otherwise.
    What does the market really say? The guys I see getting endorsements are people like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. And last I checked, they don't have signature dances or choreographed first down celebrations.

    At the end of the day, football is about football. And the majority of fans watch because we're entertained by the sport. It's a team sport of 53 men. And anything that distracts from the game, detracts from the real entertainment value.

    So yes, the market has spoken. The best football players get to endorse the most stuff. Companies try to take advantage of the 15 seconds of fame of the dancing bears that play in the NFL.

    Another way to look at it, guys like TO and Chad Ochocinco were notorious "fly girls" of the NFL. Dancing away and trying to gain all the spotlight on themselves. Where are those 2 these days? Using the logic that the market supports the people that entertain us the most with their theatrics, Chad and TO should still be raking in the cash and endorsing products all over our tv screens.

    But the last I recall about these 2, 1 was arrested and the other was dealing with all sorts of baby mama drama desperately trying to stay relevant and making himself a circus show to try and pay his child support which he allegedly couldn't.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You just happened to be the one I responded to about Heath. It wasn't directed to YOU and apologies if it came off that way because I quoted you. My response is directed at EVERYBODY who says "be more like Heath" LOL.

    This isn't the first time I've spoken on this and I will continue to do so when it comes up. We don't need AB to be like Heath. AB has a jersey in Canton already. Whatever he is doing he needs to do more of it (unles if it gets a 15 yarder).

    and mods.. I'm not offended by his accusation. I'm an adult and can handle my post being criticized/called a-holish.
    AB already has a jersey in Canton? My kind sir you engage hyperbole.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What does the market really say? The guys I see getting endorsements are people like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. And last I checked, they don't have signature dances or choreographed first down celebrations.

    At the end of the day, football is about football. And the majority of fans watch because we're entertained by the sport. It's a team sport of 53 men. And anything that distracts from the game, detracts from the real entertainment value.

    So yes, the market has spoken. The best football players get to endorse the most stuff. Companies try to take advantage of the 15 seconds of fame of the dancing bears that play in the NFL.

    Another way to look at it, guys like TO and Chad Ochocinco were notorious "fly girls" of the NFL. Dancing away and trying to gain all the spotlight on themselves. Where are those 2 these days? Using the logic that the market supports the people that entertain us the most with their theatrics, Chad and TO should still be raking in the cash and endorsing products all over our tv screens.

    But the last I recall about these 2, 1 was arrested and the other was dealing with all sorts of baby mama drama desperately trying to stay relevant and making himself a circus show to try and pay his child support which he allegedly couldn't.
    Uh....Aaron Rodgers, tiger woods, LeBron james, klay Matthews, Dion sanders, etc etc.... Peyton and brady do not get the most endorsements. The market does not look for humble football players to sell product, they look for guys who people know and will identify with their product. Peyton manning gets endorsements because of his personality and his aww shucks attitude that people can identify with.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •