Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What level of celebrations bother you by Steelers?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I tend to think that people just mention the offensive players that touch the ball. So our choices are be like Heath, Ben, AB, or Bell. Which of these guys is the most mild mannered out of these 4. And that's why people say Heath Miller.
    I really don't think there's more to it than that. But I dunno anything about racism and stuff. I'm generally naive. The only time I even noticed race was a time that my little brother took me to his families church in the south and it was an all black church. And I probably wouldn't have thought anything about it if I didn't have everyone staring at me like WTF is this guy doing here? LOL

Society doesn't seem to care anymore as far as I can tell about race stuff. But Southern churches sure do.
    First off... no one said this was racism. I said race plays a part in the way we view celebrations on this team. Hell, I thought Keisel did the guitar thing but maybe that was another white player?

As far as southern churches go.. if that was your first time noticing race then you are a liar or I missed the joke. Nothing worse than someone in america who is over 30 acting like they didnt grow up seeing color or didnt feel racism until Blacks laid eyes on them. America forces us to see race even if we swear up and down we had the perfect non racial upbringing.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    First off... no one said this was racism. I said race plays a part in the way we view celebrations on this team. Hell, I thought Keisel did the guitar thing but maybe that was another white player?

As far as southern churches go.. if that was your first time noticing race then you are a liar or I missed the joke. Nothing worse than someone in america who is over 30 acting like they didnt grow up seeing color or didnt feel racism until Blacks laid eyes on them. America forces us to see race even if we swear up and down we had the perfect non racial upbringing.
    Race playing a part of this issue would make it racism. The word racism comes from the word race. I have no clue how your trying to slice your words up? You've lost me. Race = racism to me. If you have a different connotation of the word, I don't know what that is.

Sorry that America made your life about race. What reason could make you think I would lie about racism not being an issue in my life? Maybe if I was in the minority I would have noticed people treating me different. But I'm not so it wasn't an issue I've experienced. I never noticed race being an issue to people until I moved to the south. Down here was the first time I ever saw black and white people treat each other differently. And the church comment was half a joke and half serious. Sunday mornings here feel like it's before the civil war. I had no idea that white and black people went to different churches.

The reason it jumped out at me is cause people actually asked me what I was doing there? In all seriousness, the only other place I've noticed that racism might exist besides the churches is the prisons. I've volunteered in prisons for 5-10 yrs teaching classes and I noticed the prisoners (in high security prisons) were something like 10% white, 60-70% black, and 20-30% mexican. Prior to doing that I would have guessed the prisons had the same mix of people as there are on the outside but it's not even close.

All I can do is make comments from my set of life experiences. If I had to guess, I would speculate that the majority of people in the majority race never thought about race at all because it didn't impact them in any way. And the minorities cared cause it did have an impact.

Sucks if bad stuff has an impact on you. But with everything bad that happens to anyone, most people in the world don't notice unless it's something that directly impacts them. I've noticed that as I get older and experience more negative stuff. I end up feeling like a jerk for not caring sooner about different stuff. Whatever. Everyone in the world is a jerk about something.

I think the worst one I ever saw by a Steeler was Bobby Shaw's "Superman" when the Steelers were getting pounded by the Titans.

This thread is being derailed...

That being said, once you reach your teenage years, the only way you can continue to be oblivious to race in the US is to be intentionally obtuse...

(Yes, it's a Shawshank reference...but it was not intentional)

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

That being said, once you reach your teenage years, the only way you can continue to be oblivious to race in the US is to be intentionally obtuse...

Shawshank doesn't see race either. Morgan Freeman's character was originally written to be an Irishman. They used the "maybe because I'm Irish" joke in the movie.

Legend
    Sorry Flippy... but i dont think discussing race = racism

I never said anything about good or bad experiences but in America its impossible to not experience, see, feel, etc when it comes to race. This country forces us to see and address racial issues.

I'm ranting and side tracking so I will wrap it up. I just gwt frustrated when people say they dont see race. Thats a lie and an ignorant statement to make. If a guy Ben's size with the #7 ran into the game and with Ben's last name on his back and was Black we would all notice.

We see race... we see color... and its OK. It doesnt make one a bigot or a racist to see race or address race.

Oh, and if church and prison are the only 2 times you noticed, lol. Good joke
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-28-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

My bad. Sorry for responding and being oblivious. I'll leave you to your discussions

To answer the question, no kinds of celebrations bother me. I wish the NFL allowed them to do more in the way of taunting as well, as long as they don't touch the other player.

Banned
    How did my thread turn into a race thing? That was never part of the subject. Everything turns into race these days. Even my favorite sports shows spend 50% of the time debating race topics. Can we just get over it already?