Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey's return buoys Steelers

May, 27, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Most of the practices that Maurkice Pouncey watched after an errant block wrecked his knee -- and his 2013 season -- were with a crutch under each arm pit.

Juxtapose that sight with Pouncey running without the slightest trace of a limp in his first practice since last September and the Pittsburgh Steelers had to be thrilled with what they saw Tuesday during the team's first OTA practice.

Even if Troy Polamalu wasn't there.

That Pouncey appears to have made a full recovery after tearing his right ACL last September is big on several levels.

First and foremost, the Steelers have a decision when it comes to Pouncey.

The only center in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons is entering the final year of his contract. If the Steelers had any lingering doubts about signing Pouncey to a long-term deal -- he is slated to make $5.264 million in 2014, according to ESPN Stats & Information -- they should be gone after Pouncey looked as good as new during the team's first offseason practice.

Pouncey, in fact, could be the first player that the Steelers sign to a long-term extension.

That is how important he is to the Steelers, which bring us to another reason why his return to health is so critical for a team that has gone 8-8 in each of the last two seasons.

The offense really came together in the second half of last season and the Steelers averaged more than 28 points in their final nine games.

Ben Roethlisberger is back to lead an offense that is brimming with speed and talent at the skill positions. He will also benefit from playing behind a line that allowed just seven sacks in the Steelers' final seven games and essentially adds a Pro Bowl center in Pouncey -- he played just eight snaps last season -- as well as arguably the best offensive line coach in the NFL in Mike Munchak.

If the line can stay relatively healthy, something that has rarely happened during coack Mike Tomlin's tenure, there is no telling how good the offense can be.

And that is according to no less an authority than Roethlisberger.

“If the line can play to the potential that we think and know they can then I think we can be as good [offensively] as anybody,” Roethlisberger said.

It all starts with Pouncey up front.

And that is why his teammates were all smiles when asked about his return to the playing field if only for a late-May practice.

“It's an honor to have our captain back to control the ball on every snap,” Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown said. “I am just thankful he is back on the field healthy.”

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6740/pounceys-return-buoys-steelers[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

May, 27, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Most of the practices that Maurkice Pouncey watched after an errant block wrecked his knee -- and his 2013 season -- were with a crutch under each arm pit.

Juxtapose that sight with Pouncey running without the slightest trace of a limp in his first practice since last September and the Pittsburgh Steelers had to be thrilled with what they saw Tuesday during the team's first OTA practice.

Even if Troy Polamalu wasn't there.

That Pouncey appears to have made a full recovery after tearing his right ACL last September is big on several levels.

First and foremost, the Steelers have a decision when it comes to Pouncey.

The only center in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons is entering the final year of his contract. If the Steelers had any lingering doubts about signing Pouncey to a long-term deal -- he is slated to make $5.264 million in 2014, according to ESPN Stats & Information -- they should be gone after Pouncey looked as good as new during the team's first offseason practice.

Pouncey, in fact, could be the first player that the Steelers sign to a long-term extension.

That is how important he is to the Steelers, which bring us to another reason why his return to health is so critical for a team that has gone 8-8 in each of the last two seasons.

The offense really came together in the second half of last season and the Steelers averaged more than 28 points in their final nine games.

Ben Roethlisberger is back to lead an offense that is brimming with speed and talent at the skill positions. He will also benefit from playing behind a line that allowed just seven sacks in the Steelers' final seven games and essentially adds a Pro Bowl center in Pouncey -- he played just eight snaps last season -- as well as arguably the best offensive line coach in the NFL in Mike Munchak.

If the line can stay relatively healthy, something that has rarely happened during coack Mike Tomlin's tenure, there is no telling how good the offense can be.

And that is according to no less an authority than Roethlisberger.

“If the line can play to the potential that we think and know they can then I think we can be as good [offensively] as anybody,” Roethlisberger said.

It all starts with Pouncey up front.

And that is why his teammates were all smiles when asked about his return to the playing field if only for a late-May practice.

“It's an honor to have our captain back to control the ball on every snap,” Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown said. “I am just thankful he is back on the field healthy.”

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6740/pounceys-return-buoys-steelers[/URL]
    I wish the kid well... but... we have done...and will do just fine without him. Not worth what they will have pay next year to keep him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I wish the kid well... but... we have done...and will do just fine without him. Not worth what they will have pay next year to keep him.
    He is overrated, plain and simple. If they pay top $ to serve their egos, it will be a shame.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pouncey got to be captain to easily and too soon. IMO.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Pouncey got to be captain to easily and too soon. IMO.
    I totally agree and it's the team's fault. The Steelers are so fast to want to brag about their stellar drafting that they plugged this kid as awesome before he really was.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I totally agree and it's the team's fault. The Steelers are so fast to want to brag about their stellar drafting that they plugged this kid as awesome before he really was.
    I agree. It is the team's fault...

The team as in "the players who voted him Captain"...how dare they?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I agree. It is the team's fault...

The team as in "the players who voted him Captain"...how dare they?
    Fans have wanted to run Pouncey off since the day he arrived. I remember a "will Pouncey go to Miami" the day after his brother was drafted. I think its a Florida Gator SEC thing. Not sure why he is dogged like he is Mahan. His Pro Bowl selections are considered bogus and a sham on this board.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No center is worth 10 million per, which is what he will be asking for

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    No center is worth 10 million per, which is what he will be asking for
    I agree....and we proved last year that we can win without him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just because someone gets all tatted up and acts the part doesn't mean he's as good as advertised; he isn't. The OL played better with both the 2nd and 3rd stringers in there. I feel like MP already takes things for granted, like he is owed something. Not only do I think paying top $ is too much to keep him, I don't even want him for 2nd tier $. Plus, even if he played at a pro bowl level (which he doesn't) I still don't want him because he's been completely missing for nearly two full seasons.