Thread: Shazier with First Team in OTAs

Shazier with First Team in OTAs

I'm a bit surprised that Vince Williams didn't line up as the nominal starter, since he was the incumbent. I didn't see anything here about LDE; I'm interested to see whether its Thomas or Tuitt lining up at LDE.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...medium=twitter

Hall of Famer
    I thought I saw on Twitter Cam Thomas lined up at 1st team LDE & Heyward RDE.

I like it. Two things you always hear about Steeler rookies on D. First is that we don't hand out starting jobs, they have to begin OTAs down the list and earn their way. Second is that they have a hard time learning the complex system of Coach Lebeau.

Well, if it is so difficult to learn, and you drafted the kid in the first to be an obvious upgrade, give him as many first team reps as you can to help with the learning curve.

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

Shazier lined up as first team Mack today, with Cam Thomas at LDE and Markus Wheaton opposite Antonio Brown at WR.

Cam Thomas is a grown ass man. He should help Shazier in run game.

Once Tuitt up to speed will be Al Woods-type reserve. Next yr maybe.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell: Shazier lined up as first team Mack today, with Cam Thomas at LDE and Markus Wheaton opposite Antonio Brown at WR. Cam Thomas is a grown ass man. He should help Shazier in run game. Once Tuitt up to speed will be Al Woods-type reserve. Next yr maybe. https://twitter.com/jimwexell
    As they said they would, Steelers are using Thomas at DE. Sounds as though they think McClendon will be alright at NT.

Steelers Insider: Shazier makes rough first impression

PITTSBURGH -- Ryan Shazier made an impact on his first day on the job but maybe not the way he or the organization would like. The 15th pick in this month’s draft threw down C Maurkice Pouncey during a drill.

Immediately realizing his error, Shazier tried to quickly make amends with a handshake, but Pouncey wanted no part of it.

“I didn’t want to break rule No. 10,” said Pouncey, referring to coach Mike Tomlin’s edict which forbids fighting.

Not all was bad for Shazier though as the Steelers, at least for now, ditched any traditions and had the former Ohio State star working with the first team defense.

NOTEWORTHY

-- One of the players battling Shazier for the starting ILB spot is Shaun Spence. Though he’s two years older, Spence has as much playing time in the NFL as Shazier: Zero. Spence is hoping to get on the 53-man roster after his career has been derailed by a knee injury suffered two years ago after being picked in the third-round. “It helped those two years I didn’t get to play,” Spence said. “I learned to play better.” Spence and Shazier also share a background. Both are from south Florida (Spence is from Miami, Shazier hails from Fort Lauderdale). “It’s all a friendly competition,” said Spence, who did not wear a brace nor appear to have any problems with mobility. “He’s here to better himself, I’m here to better myself. If he needs help, I’ll help him.”

-- Ben Roethlisberger can become a free agent in 2016, but the franchise QB isn’t concerned about his contract or when it’s going to be extended. “I tell my agent, if anything important happens let me know,” said Roethlisberger, whose salary will carry a cap hit of nearly $19 million this season. “If it’s not important, I don’t care. I just want to play ball. That’s all that matters to me.”

-- The last player off the field Tuesday also is one of the best receivers in the league. That’s usually a good sign. Antonio Brown might not be “the leader of the wideouts” that Hines Ward was, but the two-time Pro Bowler hopes to be. “There’s nothing more exciting than being the leader of a group, willing guys to win and knowing that guys are counting on you,” said Brown, who was third in the NFL last year averaging 93.7 yards receiving per game.

-- Tomlin was in a particularly jovial mood, chiding K Shaun Suisham to attempt 70-yard FGs. “We hitting some long-ball today,” Tomlin said. Suisham didn’t connect from that range but did from 60 (his career-best is 50).

-- William Gay and Cortez Allen manned the corners with the first-team defense.

-- WR Derek Moye (Rochester) worked with the second-team offense. OL Chris Elkins (Beaver Falls) is participating.

-- Part nine of the 10-part OTAs continue this morning on the South Side and conclude June 12. A mandatory three-day minicamp follows.

BY THE NUMBERS

2: Notable absences from the first day of OTAs on the South Side: SS Troy Polamalu and CB Ike Taylor. The sessions are voluntary.

QUOTEWORTHY

“Smell the ball in the air -- OTAs 2014.”

Mike Tomlin, Steelers coach, in a Tweet posted Tuesday morning

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...a75193932.html

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that Vince Williams didn't line up as the nominal starter, since he was the incumbent. I didn't see anything here about LDE; I'm interested to see whether its Thomas or Tuitt lining up at LDE.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...medium=twitter
    I know what you're saying but Vince Williams was the starter by default last season. Nice to see the coaches aren't fooling themselves and are getting it right from the start.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Antonio Brown might not be “the leader of the wideouts” that Hines Ward was
    Why not? I think it's crystal clear who the leader of the wideouts is. Every other WR with experience in our system is gone.