Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' position outlook: Defensive line

Legend

User Info Menu

By Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Good morning,

Some stuff from Saturday night’s game:

--- Cam Thomas played well early as the base left defensive end and it would be no surprise if he and not rookie Stephon Tuitt starts there in the regular season. Tuitt comes in for the nickel and dime defenses as a tackle and that may be enough right now.

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/08/17/We-ve-Seen-Enough-of-Ben/stories/201408170003[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

McCullers was the lowest rated Steeler defender (-3.1) against the Bills according to Pro Football Focus as he failed to register a tackle or pressure and was credited with a missed tackle...

[URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-chris-hubbard-shamarko-thomas-receive-top-marks-pro-football-focus/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    McCullers was the lowest rated Steeler defender (-3.1) against the Bills according to Pro Football Focus as he failed to register a tackle or pressure and was credited with a missed tackle...

[URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-chris-hubbard-shamarko-thomas-receive-top-marks-pro-football-focus/[/URL]
    I would expect games like that from him until as every commentator has mentioned he learns technique and pad level. He has done some good things and, hopefully, makes the team to continue the learning process.

I imagine pad level for him is going to be a real thorn simply because of his height, he's a tall NT and getting his pad level down will be a work in progress for him, IMO.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hate PFF.

Mccullers was taking 2 guys on every play, sometimes 3, and they were running away from him.

I am so pleasantly surprised with him, its hard to hate a 6th round pick but i hated when they picked him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I hate PFF.

Mccullers was taking 2 guys on every play, sometimes 3, and they were running away from him.

I am so pleasantly surprised with him, its hard to hate a 6th round pick but i hated when they picked him
    Do you still not like the pick?

Pappy

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Do you still not like the pick?

Pappy
    Ive come around....he has been a big surprise to me. He was not good at tennessee and he was down right horrible at the senior bowl but its looks like hes come to play as a steeler

Hoping he makes the roster, but not holding my breath either. They tend to practice squad players like him. Good potential but raw.

I believe Taamu got practice sqauded, maybe woods too

Legend

User Info Menu

I hate PFF.

I completely agree. Watching the game, McCullers was one of the most disruptive defensive linemen out there. He was continually pushing the pocket and absorbing multiple blockers. IMO he is a real keeper who can become very, very good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Ive come around....he has been a big surprise to me. He was not good at tennessee and he was down right horrible at the senior bowl but its looks like hes come to play as a steeler

Hoping he makes the roster, but not holding my breath either. They tend to practice squad players like him. Good potential but raw.

I would be very concerned about keeping McCullers if we tried to put him on the practice squad. There is some good film on him in the preseason and enough teams are looking for a NT that we could lose him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

6th round, two down NT, can't beat it with a stick IMO, hopefully, he doesn't fizzle, but I can't see him not making the team. If they PS him, he'll get snapped up based on what he has put on film this preseason, IMHO.

Pappy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would be very concerned about keeping McCullers if we tried to put him on the practice squad. There is some good film on him in the preseason and enough teams are looking for a NT that we could lose him.
    I'm with you. He goes to the PS and I think that's the same as him being gone. Some team will want him even if it's just for spot relief a handful of plays a game. Come in and eat up 2 o-line to give your starter a break.