Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching games from 2013, this stands out....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Watching games from 2013, this stands out....

...Yea, I still have game from last year on my DVR. It's a sickness.

Any how, watching the games from last year (I only watch the wins) something pops out that may be a concern.

We like to think we can "take out the old, bring in the new" with our receivers for Ben. But is it really that simple? We know they need lots of reps to get used to each other, but even with said reps, can they really get up to speed of the familiarity of the past WRs?

If you watch the wins from last year, one thing really sticks out: Sanders and Cotchery had their share of big games. Brown was obviously the MAN. But the other two had some big games, that led directly to us winning. Do you think a 2nd year man, Wheaton, and a vet from another team, Moore, can adequately fill in for the former two other Ben favs? I am not saying it will be a train wreck, but I am saying it's gonna take some time to get everyone comfortable with each other, and it won't be week 1. Hopefully we can offset the drop off in production from the new #2 and #3 WRs by giving some more touches to Bell, keep Miller busy and even Dri and Blount more in the mix.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think there is a clear drop from Sanders and Cotch to Moore and Wheaton...at least initially. I do think there will be some growing pains. I do think there will be offset with a revamped running game. I also think the X-factor is Archer. He may come in the league and light it up. I actually have a feeling he will have some really big plays for us this year.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think there is a clear drop from Sanders and Cotch to Moore and Wheaton...at least initially. I do think there will be some growing pains. I do think there will be offset with a revamped running game. I also think the X-factor is Archer. He may come in the league and light it up. I actually have a feeling he will have some really big plays for us this year.
    Watching those games where Sanders and Cotchery were a big part of the offense, I have to think we will have a drop off at #2 and #3. Ben was comfy with those guys. I think Dri is in the perfect offense with Haley; he loves making plays for little, fast guys. Between that, power rushing with LB and LB, Bell catching balls out of the backfield, Miller - and Brown remaining a stud - we could be OK.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Since Ben's playing style is looking at many options it's going to come to do protection.
    But lets not forget HEATH will be 100% this year and BELL is another option.

HOWEVER for this team to win, WHEATON is going to have to be the real deal (as in replacing SANDERS numbers this year). It's crap shoot.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    ...Yea, I still have game from last year on my DVR. It's a sickness.

Any how, watching the games from last year (I only watch the wins) something pops out that may be a concern.

We like to think we can "take out the old, bring in the new" with our receivers for Ben. But is it really that simple? We know they need lots of reps to get used to each other, but even with said reps, can they really get up to speed of the familiarity of the past WRs?

If you watch the wins from last year, one thing really sticks out: Sanders and Cotchery had their share of big games. Brown was obviously the MAN. But the other two had some big games, that led directly to us winning. Do you think a 2nd year man, Wheaton, and a vet from another team, Moore, can adequately fill in for the former two other Ben favs? I am not saying it will be a train wreck, but I am saying it's gonna take some time to get everyone comfortable with each other, and it won't be week 1. Hopefully we can offset the drop off in production from the new #2 and #3 WRs by giving some more touches to Bell, keep Miller busy and even Dri and Blount more in the mix.
    Good post, man.

Legend

User Info Menu

As long ad we have Ben and some decent OL protection we will be fine...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    But lets not forget HEATH will be 100% this year and BELL is another option.
    A big part of our 0-4 start was Heath missing the first 2 games and Bell missing the first 3 games (and even when they came back, they weren't exactly 100% right away coming off injury). I expect heavy volume of passes going to Miller and Bell (along with Brown, of course) early on this season while Ben adjusts to Wheaton, Moore, and the rest.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

L Bell play from last year improved as the year went on. He was on fire by the end of the season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    L Bell play from last year improved as the year went on. He was on fire by the end of the season.
    He was. He really makes pass catching look effortless too. Like that one 3rd and long where he caught the ball on his hip for a first down on the right sideline. LB is going to have a monster, pro bowl type year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    He was. He really makes pass catching look effortless too. Like that one 3rd and long where he caught the ball on his hip for a first down on the right sideline. LB is going to have a monster, pro bowl type year.
    When we drafted Bell, I made the comparison to Eddie George, physically. It will be interesting to see Bell running behind a Mike Munchak line, after so many years of Eddie George running behind a Mike Munchak line.

After seeing his success catching the ball last year, though, I think Bell has to the potential to be a Steven Jackson type of dual threat in the run game and pass game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.