Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ramon Foster: ‘You can’t just be a talker’

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Thats why I don't understand why they took it away when Pouncey went down 8 plays into the season. I guess because the zone rely's on knowing the guys beside you, tendencies, things like that and they didn't think Velasco had the reps necessary to succeed with others.
    They didn't completely take it away. I saw them run some inside zone and man all season long in every game I watched. No matter who's playing- college, etc. I see zone- it's so easy a caveman could do it.. lol. There is zone and man in every game depending on the play and what the defense is giving you.

I remember zone blocking starting in high school way back when..In college, it was expanded upon- terminology, etc. Sure, I'd imagine its even more so in NFL, but every OL uses/knows it. Just an initial block (could be a double team with another OLman) with a DE or DT and then a slide upfield to the nearest LB is a simple zone. I just think the media blows it out of proportion, maybe by those who never put a helmet on... don't know.

I think DeCastro gets a bad rap for that injury, imo..chyt happens in games.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 05-25-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I disagree.
    I like Decastro, but c'mon... I've been watching football for years; seen many zone blocking schemes probably. I've never seen anything remotely like what Decastro did to Pouncey. I just never seen it.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I disagree.
    I like Decastro, but c'mon... I've been watching football for years; seen many zone blocking schemes probably. I've never seen anything remotely like what Decastro did to Pouncey. I just never seen it.
    nah, happens all the time. Pouncey is just injury prone and over rated that's all
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

PBMining

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    They didn't completely take it away. I saw them run some inside zone and man all season long in every game I watched. No matter who's playing- college, etc. I see zone- it's so easy a caveman could do it.. lol. There is zone and man in every game depending on the play and what the defense is giving you.

I remember zone blocking starting in high school way back when..In college, it was expanded upon- terminology, etc. Sure, I'd imagine its even more so in NFL, but every OL uses/knows it. Just an initial block (could be a double team with another OLman) with a DE or DT and then a slide upfield to the nearest LB is a simple zone. I just think the media blows it out of proportion, maybe by those who never put a helmet on... don't know.

The media made a big deal about us wanting smaller and more athletic linemen to run more zone blocking. Then they made a big deal about throwing out most of the zone blocking once Pouncey went down. I think the tendency is to trust what you're hearing about the trenches because when we're watching the game on tv, the focus is on the ball and it can be hard to watch a lot of the line play except what we see on replays or breakdowns on tape after the fact.

ReD taking out MP, I've watched that play so many times and really can't come up with a logic explanation for it. I know crap happens but there was something else entirely going on there. I don't know how anyone can explain that.

Being an old Olman, I like watching what's going on in the trenches, actually. However, not sure if I really saw the replay on the injury. At least it's been a while.. Where can I get a copy of the play? is it on youtube? I'll have to look for it.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Legend
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-26-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks, I did hunt it down on google. What startles me in this video is seeing both Gilbert #77 and DeCastro both going down low looking like they are going to take out their man at the knees. If this was taught by the old OL coach, no wonder he isn't there anymore. You can see a zone block there- Adams. He misses his zone block. #92 on Tennessee blows him and Foster up, not allowing Adams to continue on to block the LB. That play was doomed to fail from the get go. Ben should have audibled out of it. In my opinion... Wonder if Gilbert accidentally tripped up DD there? Almost looks like their feet touch.. I don't know, just a bizarre play all the way around.... Moving on to 2014...... That was the past.....
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Legend
    All the blame goes to Decastro on that play.

Sheet happens.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    All the blame goes to Decastro on that play.
    I'm not so sure about that. If you look I'm wondering if Pouncey wasn't supposed to bounce out to the next level and take on the linebacker instead of staying with the DT. If Pouncey does that the DT goes free and DeCastro's block would be good. I'm by no means an expert on offensive line play but it makes no sense otherwise. No way does DeCastro just dive at Pouncey's knees.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>