Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Could Pass Several Hall of Fame QBs in 2014

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Could Pass Several Hall of Fame QBs in 2014

Roethlisberger Could Pass Several Hall of Fame QBs in 2014

by Marc Uhlmann
    May 22, 2014

Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has averaged 21.9 touchdown passes per season over his ten year career. Should he do that again in 2014, the two-time Super Bowl winner could pass some pretty impressive names on the list of all-time touchdown pass leaders.

Big Ben currently stands at 219 career touchdown passes. That number does not reflect postseason numbers.

If he can hit his average this upcoming season he would pass retired QBs Steve Young (232), Donovan McNabb (234), George Blanda (236), Jim Kelly (237) and Len Dawson (239).

Of that group, only McNabb is not in the Hall of Fame.

In terms of career passing yardage, Roethlisberger currently sits at 34,105 yards. For his ten year career, that averages out to just over 3,400 passing yards per season.

Should he hit his average in this category in 2014, he’ll pass more impressive quarterbacks including Jim Hart, Jim Everett and again, Jim Kelly. Should he get to just 35,000 yards in 2014, he’ll be just the 20th quarterback in NFL History to reach that milestone.

Keep in mind that Roethlisberger has seldom been allowed to throw the ball at the rates of a Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and that is often held against him. Just this morning I saw a ranking of the top 10 NFL quarterbacks on the Cover32 website. It listed Roethlisberger behind those I just mentioned as well as Cam Newton, Tony Romo and Colin Kaepernick.

Roethlisberger himself will tell you it’s not about numbers for him. It’s about winning. I’m sure the other nine members of that top ten would say the same thing but only a couple of them have actually proven it.

Should Roethlisberger remain healthy, and that’s never an easy thing to do, he could put up some extremely good numbers for a guy that isn’t known as one of the top stats guys in the NFL.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/roethlisberger_could_pass_several_hall_of_fame_qbs _in_2014/16518202?linksrc=story_team_pittsburgh_steelers_au to_module_head_16518202[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Only some Steeler fans fail to recognize the outstanding career that Ben has had up to this point. Ben in all likelihood is going to exceed his career averages for the next 5 years, so he will be in some rare air statistically when he's done. Even better, would be for him to win at least one more super Bowl, this, however, will be a daunting task, it appears the Steelers are a year or more away from begin good enough to get into the Super Bowl. They need last year's and this year's draft selections to improve quickly.

Ben has made watching Steeler football incredibly exciting over the past 10 years. Failing to see this is unfortunate for those fans, because it's been a crazy ride with Ben.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler fans have always been critical of the QB... but when its all said in done I think most will admit he is one of the best to ever do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Steeler fans have always been critical of the QB... but when its all said in done I think most will admit he is one of the best to ever do it.
    ...in a dingy bar bathroom!!!

Thanks...I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

The only one I care about is most super bowl appearences by a QB.
    Does anyone have that stat...Should be Steve Young, Bradshaw and company.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler fans that do not like Ben and would like to see Ben replaced are unknowningly spoiled by him. I dont even want to imagine a Steelers team without the big guy. The 2004 drafts first round couldnt have unfolded any better for us.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Steeler fans that do not like Ben and would like to see Ben replaced are unknowningly spoiled by him. I dont even want to imagine a Steelers team without the big guy. The 2004 drafts first round couldnt have unfolded any better for us.
    Just about a week ago I saw a post and someone asked whatever happened to so and so. I really did not recognize the name for sure but did think I may have seen it somewhere so I started doing searches of several boards to see if I could find it.

Instead I came across a thread on this board bringing up former posters from the Trib board? the site quite a few here now were on. Anyway, the usual suspects were mentioned SFL MSM the battles between Pierogi Pete and Crash etc etc. [I must admit I rarely posted but sure did dig that site.]

Anyway, the first thing that popped into my head instantly was all the threads and posts mostly by MSM, MisterSmartMonies, who kept track of the numerous accomplishments of Big Ben. Since he plays for the home team it was going unnoticed that he was doing things only accomplished by former legends. I did try to save a lot of those posts as they were loaded with info.

So anyhow, I did think it was coincidental that up pops a thre[URL="file://\\ad"]ad[/URL] reminding fans of some of the things Big Ben has done. Sometimes things just get taken for granted.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    ...in a dingy bar bathroom!!!

Thanks...I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

That was......dare I say........RUTHLESS!!!!!

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am sorry, but there is no way in he!! that Ben is behind Kaepernick and especially Newton, or whatever his name is......wtf, who decides this stuff? And Romo? LOL
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

It's funny when you look at a ten year guy, and then discuss his career averages. The stats are skewed when you factor in things like injuries, and early year mistakes and adjustments, and the teams he played on.

More precisely, when discussing Ben, you have to consider his 2006 season (post motorcycle mishap) with 23 ints, all those years with Bettis when he just handed the ball off all fourth Q in most games, his many injuries, to go with those aches and pains he played through.

If he remains healthy throughout the season, and the rest of the O can stay relatively intact, I would more expect a season more in line with his top 3 - 4,328, 4,261, and 4,077 yards. Somewhere around 30 TDs - career bests: 32, 28, 26, 26.