Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Le'Veon Bell a True Feature Back?

sick beats: Why do you single out Tomlin as the retarded moron? In the first five seasons Bettis played here, he carried 1,665 times, an average of 333 carries for the five years. I guess Cowher was even more retarded?

Walter Payton exceeded 300 carries in 10 different seasons. Eddie George exceeded 300 carries each of his first eight years in the league, over 400 carries in the year 2000. I look at the numbers in the OP and wonder how so many morons got to be head coaches in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    sick beats: Why do you single out Tomlin as the retarded moron? In the first five seasons Bettis played here, he carried 1,665 times, an average of 333 carries for the five years. I guess Cowher was even more retarded?

Walter Payton exceeded 300 carries in 10 different seasons. Eddie George exceeded 300 carries each of his first eight years in the league, over 400 carries in the year 2000. I look at the numbers in the OP and wonder how so many morons got to be head coaches in the NFL.
    lol this made me laugh. I don't know the answers, all I know is that I AM excited for this run game next year.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    And I think that is the Steelers intention. Blount will get 5-10 carries per game, Archer will get 3-5, Bell will get 15ish. Archer and Bell will also get their touches in the passing game.
    That sounds like a recipe for success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    That sounds like a recipe for success!
    I'm hoping for the higher end of those numbers, because then the Steeler offense is balanced, if an offense is getting between 65 and 70 snaps per game, I'd like to see 30-33 of them be running plays of some type, that means the offense is balanced, if they are only getting 23-25 running plays per game that's a 60/40 in favor of the passing game and while other teams may be successful with that, I don't think the Steelers want that ratio.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Benchwarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm hoping for the higher end of those numbers, because then the Steeler offense is balanced, if an offense is getting between 65 and 70 snaps per game, I'd like to see 30-33 of them be running plays of some type, that means the offense is balanced, if they are only getting 23-25 running plays per game that's a 60/40 in favor of the passing game and while other teams may be successful with that, I don't think the Steelers want that ratio.

Pappy
    I don't think a balanced offense really works anymore, the passing game is so effective and a lot of offenses in the nfl are built around trying to get playmakers in space. The short passing game is an extension of the running game and its much more effective than just slamming the ball up in there 30-35 times a game. PLayers today are so big fast and strong that running backs no longer wear down defenses by pounding them, instead you just end up killing your running back.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    I would like to see a 60/40 through the first 3 1/2 qtrs... then a steady dose of Blount at the end to grind out the clock..which will get us closer to 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I would prefer 225 to 250 on the ground and the rest in the passing game...

We have other options so there is no reason to run the wheels off of him.
    Exactly. Blount can pound the ball just fine and keep Bell fresh.
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I would like to see a 60/40 through the first 3 1/2 qtrs... then a steady dose of Blount at the end to grind out the clock..which will get us closer to 50/50.
    Hey, its not how you get there, but the fact that you get there. If its 60/40 at the end of a game, then the Steelers were probably losing, on average, 60% of the offensive snaps would mean somewhere between 36 and 40 passes, IMO, even in today's game that's too many. Like Ernie says, 60/40 early, build the lead, then shorten the game by running it late.

I just don't believe that the 60/40 ratio works as a strategy.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Let's let Bell play his way through his Sophmore season before we crown or drown him. You would assume Munchak will get the OL at the top of its game so the rest will fall on Bell at that point. This is coming from a guy who didn't like him as a 2nd round pick. He's a Steeler & when that happens...I'm wrong & they are right.
    Hey! That is probably the view of a lot of fans.[me too]

Bell did show a lot his first year. If he shows even a 5% improvement in his all round play then Shawn is probably right. I would expect he will will run with more authority or confidence this year. No comment necessary on his skills as a pass receiver. Also his ball security skill is superb.

Legend
    I think Bell's gonna be a work horse and get a ton of touches personally. The league ebbs and flows and I think as Ds are built more and more to defend the pass, there will be more opportunities to run the ball.

And with Bell being such a good open field runner, I just don't see Tomlin/Haley taking him off the field that much.