Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-Steeler Mike Logan says NFL never warned about effects of painkillers

Ex-Steeler Mike Logan says NFL never warned about effects of painkillers

Ex-Steeler Logan says NFL never warned about effects of painkillers

By Mark Kaboly
    Published: Wednesday, May 21, 2014

“Believe me, there was a line wrapping around the locker room before games.”

Former Steelers safety Mike Logan was in that line more times than he would like to admit, waiting for a Toradol shot, never thinking about the consequences of taking an injection that made the pain go away, if only for a couple of hours.

A self-proclaimed “bubble roster guy” near the end of his career, Logan recalled taking a Toradol shot before games and then supplement that with a “cocktail” of pain killers and aspirin at halftime.

“After my first knee surgery, I was willing to do anything to get back on the field,” Logan said. “If it meant taking a shot or getting medication, I was willing to do it.”

Logan said he never was warned of the possible long-term risk of the popular painkillers or asked to sign a waiver by the organization.

“You just don't think of stuff like that,” Logan said.

Logan is not part of an 87-page complaint filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco by eight former players and more than 500 other unnamed ones that claims that the NFL “intentionally, recklessly and negligently created and maintained a culture of drug misuse, substituting players' health for profit,” but plenty of big-time names are.

Jim McMahon, Richard Dent, Jeremy Newberry, Keith Van Horne, Ron Stone, JD Hill and Ron Pritchard are named plaintiffs in the suit. It is unknown if any former Steelers makeup the unnamed players. An email to lead lawyer of the NFL Drug Class Action Lawsuit Steven Silverman was not returned.

“I took a lot of pain medications,” said Logan, who said he had eight football-related knee/ankle surgeries during his career. “My belief was that whatever was prescribed by the team doctors was in my best interest. I never thought about being over-prescribed. I believed in the medical staff.”

James Bradley, who has been the Steelers team doctor for more than two decades, administered the Toradol shots, Logan said.

“They would have people on the list and scratch your name off after you got it,” Logan said. “Dr. Bradley really looked out for you, though. He wasn't going to give you a shot unless you really needed it. I don't blame them for my choices.”

Ralph Cindrich, who played four years in the NFL before spending the past three decades as an agent, said he never heard a bad word about Bradley.

“You go to a guy like James Farrior and ask him what he thinks of (James Bradley), and it's ‘I love the man. He's a great guy and he watches out for you,' ” said Cindrich, who represented former Steelers Dermontti Dawson, Will Wolford and James Farrior. “His job is to get you out on the field, but he is not going to let you do things where you are going to do severe damage to yourself, and that's the difference.”

The flamboyant McMahon, who played for six teams during his 15 years in the NFL, including helping the Bears win Super Bowl XX, has a different story. McMahon contends in the suit that he received “hundreds if not thousands” of shots from doctors plus high volumes of pills from trainers without warnings from the NFL on possible side effects.

Cindrich, who has had knee and hip problems from his playing days, has seen painkiller abuse as a player and agent.

“You took what you had to take to play, and I bought into it,” Cindrich said. “I was lied to by doctors, but that was part of the culture of the NFL. Does that exist out there? Did I see it? Yes. Did I have it personally done on me? Absolutely and unequivocally. I think there is real and legitimate exposure of the NFL with this lawsuit.”

As for his playing career and taking pain medication, Cindrich said he would do it all over again. Logan said he wouldn't.

“Oh. heck yeah. Come on,” Cindrich said. “Your whole life and future as you see it is surrounded by football. It is what you are about. It is a way out.”

Not for Logan.

“No way,” Logan said. “The longer I get away from the game, the worse my body feels. The more I talk to veterans who came before me or played as long as I did and the way they feel, I wouldn't do it.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz32QqJmzzW

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Who is seriously this stupid? Pain is your body screaming at you to knock it off and take it easy. If your hand is on a hot stove, the pain signals are there to tell you to get your hand off the damn stove. Without that pain signal, a heck of a lot more damage could be done. Football is not kind to the human body. Your body is subjected to the equivalent of multiple car crashes each game, and your body's pain signals are screaming at you to stop this madness. Continuing to do it while only masking the pain inevitably results in more body damage, like leaving your stupid hand on that stupid stove. Team doctors looking out for the well-being of players by administering painkilling injections to get them back out there is laughable...those doctors are looking out for the success of the team by getting you back out there as soon as medically possible, not the condition of your knees, ankles, shoulders, back, etc. If football players don't understand that they are treated like pieces of meat out there, then they must only have a piece of meat between their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Who is seriously this stupid? Pain is your body screaming at you to knock it off and take it easy. If your hand is on a hot stove, the pain signals are there to tell you to get your hand off the damn stove. Without that pain signal, a heck of a lot more damage could be done. Football is not kind to the human body. Your body is subjected to the equivalent of multiple car crashes each game, and your body's pain signals are screaming at you to stop this madness. Continuing to do it while only masking the pain inevitably results in more body damage, like leaving your stupid hand on that stupid stove. Team doctors looking out for the well-being of players by administering painkilling injections to get them back out there is laughable...those doctors are looking out for the success of the team by getting you back out there as soon as medically possible, not the condition of your knees, ankles, shoulders, back, etc. If football players don't understand that they are treated like pieces of meat out there, then they must only have a piece of meat between their ears.
    Bravo my friend... These football players are killing me, Jim McMahon being part of this lawsuit is a joke. He was as reckless as they come and now he's going to try and blame the NFL for his health issues. These players are ignorant; I hope the courts throw this case out after the first day. Who could possibly think that running full speed (or close to full speed) into another human being 30 or 40 times a game could be good for your body?

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend
    These guys want to get paid on the way up AND on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    These guys want to get paid on the way up AND on the way down.
    Well, as much as I hate this lawsuit, I have to say that the players are taken advantage of on the way up. Based on attendance figures at college football games, the best players in college could earn a lot more cash than the value placed on a 4 year degree if they were paid. Now, you can argue that getting the degree gives you a way to earn money after football and that in the end if you establish a career using your degree you will earn a good living, but it won't be the same as what these guys could make if they were getting paid to play in college at places like Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, Tennessee, etc

The NCAA needs to be dissolved.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Someone has to be responsible for these guys that made millions and blew it all on women, coke, and cars.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Well, as much as I hate this lawsuit, I have to say that the players are taken advantage of on the way up. Based on attendance figures at college football games, the best players in college could earn a lot more cash than the value placed on a 4 year degree if they were paid. Now, you can argue that getting the degree gives you a way to earn money after football and that in the end if you establish a career using your degree you will earn a good living, but it won't be the same as what these guys could make if they were getting paid to play in college at places like Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, Tennessee, etc

The NCAA needs to be dissolved.

Pappy
    I don't think it needs to be dissolved, but they should do away with the 2 years removed from high school rule.

Pro Bowler
    Let's not assume that the owners were perfectly innocent and not somewhat guilty of ignoring the players' health as an inconvenient truth. The concussion issues prove that they were indeed negligent to some degree. As long as their cash rolled in, they were not interested in the players' future well-being, including not wanting to pay for much any of their future health care. They had to be forced to address health problems of the players from their practices; all the owners cared about - when left to their own desires, was squeezing play out of their players, regardless of the health risks. They wanted no part of paying for health care after players had retired. They had to be forced at the end of a legal gun barrel. So, to believe they shouldn't be asked for some accountability in the culture they created (make players play, regardless of future health risks) is a bit naive.

Almost every player asked will tell you if you can't find a way to get on that field, you won't be in the NFL for long. There is immense pressure to keep playing, or ELSE.

The only reason the owners settled on the concussion issue was they knew they could be sued for much more than they settled on. They do NOTHING from the good of their heart. As long as it's not them, or their family, destroying their future well-being, and they made the huge $ they do, they just don't care beyond that. That entire culture is heavy on the "rub dirt on it and get back in there" mentality. You can't just say, "Well players should know better." That is crap. When the entire culture around you pressures you to play hurt, and you have no other means to make any where near that coin else where, this is what you get.

Legend
    The end of football is nearer by the day.

Im just not buying it, and besides even if the doctors told them pain killers weren't good for them they would still be lined up to take them. They would get on the field at any cost to keep their jobs.