Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bell best draft pick for Pgh in last 5 years? (highlights)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I think you have to put Worilds in the discussion. Even though he isnt the best, he is in the top 5. In a year or two he could be the best, unless someone here can accurately predict the future.
    Interesting idea, and something different other than the same 2 or three topics...best draft picks the last 5 years (2009-2013). he one thing that I found while going over this is how slim the pickings are...but here goes:

1) Brown - 6th round 2010...and it isn't even close for second
    2) Bell - 2nd round 2013...he hasn't actually earned the spot yet after only one year, but the projection is easily there
    3) Decastro - 1st round 2012...I think that this kid just got it at some point last year, and can see pro bowls in the not-too-distant future
    4) Heyward - 1st round 2011...was one of the top performers on an underperforming unit last year, but really showed that he is ready for a starring role
    5) Beachum - 7th round 2012...I don't think that he is the long term answer, but he was a seventh round comp pick.

Others - Wallace (3rd, 2009), Pouncey (1st, 2010), Worilds (2nd, 2010), Lewis (3rd, 2009) missed out because they have shown flashes as well as long periods of silence. All were chosen high enough so that there were expectations (unlike Beachum), and those expectations have not been met or exceeded enough to warrant inclusion on my list. To be clear, this does not mean that I consider Beachum to be better than these players, but that there is not enough of a difference to justify the disparity in draft status.

Legend

User Info Menu

When I think of best draft pick, a first or second round guy has to be 10x better than a day 3 pick before we consider calling him a better draft pick. ie. you have to be Ben or Troy and I still don't see how you could say those 2 were better picks than a 6th round AB.

The other guys in the running would be Beachum (a 7th round LT - that's downright amazing that he's played so well) or Cortez Allen (has a ways to go after a bit of a down year but has the talent to be as good as any CB we've had) or TBD with newer draft picks like Shmarko or other Day 3 draft picks.

But I still don't think there's any way they can surpass AB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I think you have to put Worilds in the discussion. Even though he isnt the best, he is in the top 5. In a year or two he could be the best, unless someone here can accurately predict the future.
    No... Worilds finally played well last year once he switched sides but before that he was pretty much a non factor and injury prone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I wouldn't call pouncey injury prone. He missed three games before Decastro DESTROYED his knee.
    and Dominated? Really? I must have missed that because our offensive line was offensive most of the year.
    I think people exaggerate Velsco's play because we played better as a team once he arrived..... but people ignore getting back Heath, Bell and Beachum replacing Adams.

Velasco was decent but he damn sure didn't dominate.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Heyward would provide stiff competition for that award. I think you could make a case for him being Steelers Defensive Player of the Year.
    Absolutely, I would even go one step further NFL DPOA. Not so sure about Bell. He did flash some skills though. Let's put it this way. I am sure glad they picked up that Blount guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    He was flat out terrible in the preseason. One of five totally terrible players at that time to be sure. The oline was dominant in the last 8 games. Ben stayed upright and Bell ran free.
    And he's been an all pro during every actual season. I guess guys careers are judged only on their preseason play now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think people exaggerate Velsco's play because we played better as a team once he arrived..... but people ignore getting back Heath, Bell and Beachum replacing Adams.

Velasco was decent but he damn sure didn't dominate.
    Yep AND Decastro finally had a chance to gell and become a good player. Took him 8 games to do it, but that's when the switch came on for him.

Starter

User Info Menu

Flippy said: "But I still don't think there's any way they can surpass AB."

Even though I believed AB could become the most dangerous WR in the league as early as his first year I still go with Heyward. His strength and disruption skills are unreal. Frankly, I think I am underating him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    No... Worilds finally played well last year once he switched sides but before that he was pretty much a non factor and injury prone.
    Some people cant play this game to their ability because they cant get out of their own head. Left side, Right side....He finally got to a comfortable position and just started playing. However, a few of his sacks were unblocked. I'm not sold on the guy yet, but HE IS IN THE DISCUSSION! If only because I put him there.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Brown has already set two NFL records and broken team records in his short career...