Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Answer This....

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,131

    Answer This....

    How is it that a guy that was a standout in college at his position comes into the NFL and plays the same position, but can't figure out where to line up?
    This Jones kid had better pick it up significantly this season or there will be a growing chorus of "bust" heard around SN.


    Steelers wants Jarvis Jones to be a 'barn boss'

    By Jeff.Hartman  @BnGBlitz on May 21 2014, 9:17a 21

    Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sport

    In 2013, Jarvis Jones didn't look like the playmaker that many people predicted he would be in his rookie season. How he can learn from now Assistant Defensive Coach, Joey Porter.
    ring Joey Porter's time with the Pittsburgh Steelers he had many memorable moments. Some that stick out would be getting ejected in a game at Cleveland for getting into a physical altercation before the game (which then instituted the "Joey Porter Rule" for pre game interaction between teams). There was the myriad of verbal assaults he unleashed, most memorbaly against Jeremy Stevens of the Seattle Seahawks before Super Bowl 40. My favorite? When "J. Peezy" tried to go onto the Baltimore Ravens' team bus and pull Ray Lewisoff to settle things like men.
    Turns out, Steelers' linebackers coach, Keith Butler, would like to see Jarvis Jonesget a little bit of that attitude that Porter displayed as a player. Butler told Steelers.com, "Jarvis is a little bit different than Joey but not much. Joey’s always had that kind of ‘barn boss’ attitude when he’s played, and we need some of that. I’ve already told them all the story about him going out to the bus and trying to pull Ray (Lewis) off the bus. I want somebody like that. I want that type of attitude in that room and he brings it."
    This would be one of the many ways that Joey Porter helping coach the defensive players will benefit the current team. Porter might not be the schematic coach compared to others, but when it comes to a young player like Jarvis Jones, his knowledge will be invaluable.
    Butler admits that Jones had a sub par year his rookie campaign, but at the same time recognizes that his second season should be significantly better, "He pretty much didn’t know where to line up last year. He had trouble with that. And then trying to catch up with what we were trying to do, and if somebody wasn’t there to help him, tell him what he was doing he was just about a half-second slow. In the second year everything slows down, and if it slows down mentally then it’ll be a lot easier for him."
    The Steelers need Jones to be the difference maker that lead him to be drafted in the first round, and Joey Porter could be the perfect coach to teach him how to bring the nasty back to the Steelers' defense.

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...vis-jones-2014





  2. #2
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,158
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    How is it that a guy that was a standout in college at his position comes into the NFL and plays the same position, but can't figure out where to line up?
    This Jones kid had better pick it up significantly this season or there will be a growing chorus of "bust" heard around SN.



    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...vis-jones-2014




    I wish I had an answer for that (looks down, shakes head with eyes closed), but I don't

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,991
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    How is it that a guy that was a standout in college at his position comes into the NFL and plays the same position, but can't figure out where to line up?
    This Jones kid had better pick it up significantly this season or there will be a growing chorus of "bust" heard around SN.



    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...vis-jones-2014




    You already know the answer but you don't want to admit it.

    DL's 3-4 is different than in college. Obviously things are different and I wish fans would ADMIT our D is freaking complex.

    EVERYONE says it who has played in it but you guys swear up and down a guy should be able to jump in and excel even though we've NEVER seen a player do it in DL's system as a rookie.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You already know the answer but you don't want to admit it.

    DL's 3-4 is different than in college. Obviously things are different and I wish fans would ADMIT our D is freaking complex.

    EVERYONE says it who has played in it but you guys swear up and down a guy should be able to jump in and excel even though we've NEVER seen a player do it in DL's system as a rookie.
    Actually, Kendrell Bell had a hell of a rookie season. 82 tackles, 9 sacks. Even LeBoo himself said the days of having draft picks sit and learn are over in Pgh. I have a feeling Rooney put his wing tip shoe up his butt to make him say it, but still, at least LeBoo gets it now: We can't afford to have rookies sit anymore. Those days are over, even if it freaks LeBoo out.

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,991
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Actually, Kendrell Bell had a hell of a rookie season. 82 tackles, 9 sacks. Even LeBoo himself said the days of having draft picks sit and learn are over in Pgh. I have a feeling Rooney put his wing tip shoe up his butt to make him say it, but still, at least LeBoo gets it now: We can't afford to have rookies sit anymore. Those days are over, even if it freaks LeBoo out.
    Awesome.. we have to go back 20 years to find a player and Lebeau wasnt our DC when Bell AND Casey hampton started as rookies.

    So... again, please name a rookie who played great under Lebeau.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Actually, Kendrell Bell had a hell of a rookie season. 82 tackles, 9 sacks. Even LeBoo himself said the days of having draft picks sit and learn are over in Pgh. I have a feeling Rooney put his wing tip shoe up his butt to make him say it, but still, at least LeBoo gets it now: We can't afford to have rookies sit anymore. Those days are over, even if it freaks LeBoo out.
    Well, Bell did have a good rookie season...

    And, that was it...a physical marvel who couldn't master the mental part of the game and was eventually beaten out by smaller, weaker Larry Foote...

    All because Foote knew where to line up...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Well, Bell did have a good rookie season...

    And, that was it...a physical marvel who couldn't master the mental part of the game and was eventually beaten out by smaller, weaker Larry Foote...

    All because Foote knew where to line up...
    I thought it was primarily injury issues that put Kendrell Bell on the sideline...IIRC, Bell suffered a bad injury in 2004 which he never fully recovered from. The Steelers released him (2005), and he went on to play for the Chiefs, but he was never the same player as he was in 2001 and 2003. I don't think it's accurate to say he was "beaten out" by Larry Foote because he "couldn't master the mental part of the game."
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 05-21-2014 at 05:53 PM.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Awesome.. we have to go back 20 years to find a player and Lebeau wasnt our DC when Bell AND Casey hampton started as rookies.
    2013 - 2001 = ?????? 20? Hmmm, where did you learn math?

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I thought it was primarily injury issues that put Kendrell Bell on the sideline...IIRC, Bell suffered a bad injury in 2004 which he never fully recovered from. The Steelers released him (2005), and he went on to play for the Chiefs, but he was never the same player as he was in 2001 and 2003. I don't think it's accurate to say he was "beaten out" by Larry Foote because he "couldn't master the mental part of the game."
    You are correct BHD. And, the way he kept getting injured seemed to suggest PEDs might have been in play.

  10. #10
    I seem to remember that there was some frustration on the part of the Steelers because Bell didn't want to take their recovery plan, opting to pursue a slower, more natural rehab. I could be mistaken, however.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •