Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Steelers CB Ike Taylor says Santonio Holmes and James Harrison would like to return

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't see a problem with signing JH to a contract to get him in camp. Holmes can pound sand. He's CFL material at best. Still talented, but a cancer, IMO.

I would love to see Keisel and JH in camp because I think that they can bring chemistry and leadership, and may be very good back ups.

Not sold on Chris Carter yet. I hope he proves me wrong.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

That comment of "Worilds isn't the most durable guy" was a whole other conversation. But Worilds did play in the most games out of JH & Woodley the last two years they were all here together. Even if you take the last 4 years overall...Worilds played in 57 games...JH 55...Woodley 50. Only injury will keep Worilds or JJ from starting the season. Production could change that as the season goes but as a Steeler fan...Nobody should be routing for that scenario. I understand the dislike for Carter...But he is only 25 & came into the league at 22. He is in his make or break camp imo. As a backup, the 2012 JH did look better than the current version of Carter. However, I would have to see the 2014 JH at OLB against Carter & Moats before I say he is my choice. The biggest thing JH has working against him besides his age & decline is as the #3 or #4 OLB...You are going to have to play all STs. Carter & Moats can.
    I know that Worilds isn't as injury prone as his reputation, but he missed a game last year if I recall, and a significant portion of another. Even if you average out his games played (accounting for the fact that he was never a full time starter), we can expect him to miss at least two games.

I don't want Harrison as a starter. I envision him and Jones as Foote/Timmons, with Harrison playing a bit on early downs, but Jones taking the majority of the snaps.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    No one is suggesting signing him to be a starter over Jones or Worilds. He'd be a veteran backup behind an inexperienced 2nd year player and an injury-prone who will be counted on to be a full-time starter for a full season for the first time in his career. You can get by with a veteran #3 OLB who doesn't play special teams (if he was the #5 OLB who didn't play special teams, that might be another story). There are plenty of other young LB's, DB's, WR's, RB's, etc. who can contribute on special teams. A guy who knows our system, who could be a positive influence on the young starters, and provide us with an insurance policy in case of injury? Sign me up. I'm not expecting the DMVP version of Deebo here. Just a guy who could offer more than the likes of Carter or Moats in our regular defense if needed in case of injury.

If you read through...There are people suggesting JH starts. Like I said, Worilds played in more games in the last 4 years than JH & Woodley...That label is what you want it to be. It is very difficult not to put a reserve on a ST come gameday especially with more DBs going active. Have you seen any active LBs in reserve not playing STs? Which is why if JJ & Worilds are healthy...JH might not even get a helmet. He would only be active if JJ or Worilds missed a game.

Give me a guy who can play 1st. The '13 version of JH was even a lesser version of the '12 version. Like I said, JH knows the system. I get that. If they need that guy...He will be on the streets. No need to burn a roster spot on the 53 who may be in street clothes on gamedays. There is no disputing the intangibles JH can bring...But the Steelers need people that can contribute across the board. I get the love of the Wards, Keisels, & JH...But the Steelers come first in my book. Time to move on & Thank them for what they have done. A Smith said it best..."When the Steelers say I can't play anymore....I am done." It happens..It is inevitable! Joey Porter is one year older than JH & he has been out of the league since 2011. Everyone wants to being back one of the oldest player in the league. Would he make the Steelers better between the White lines on Sundays? Not in my book. That's my opinion.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I don't see a problem with signing JH to a contract to get him in camp. Holmes can pound sand. He's CFL material at best. Still talented, but a cancer, IMO.

I would love to see Keisel and JH in camp because I think that they can bring chemistry and leadership, and may be very good back ups.

Not sold on Chris Carter yet. I hope he proves me wrong.
    Let's be clear...I'm not sold on Carter as anything. I would let everyone else on this roster sort it out before I pick up the phone.

Before the draft...I was ok with Harrison & Keisel possibly coming back on a 1 year. Post draft...I'm ready to roll with what they got. Shazier & Tuit changed it. We will see after June 1st what the Steelers feel.

Legend

User Info Menu

For football players, especially guys asked to play as physical as Steeler defenders do, 36 years old is OLD. However, Harrison and Keisel are young-ish 36 year olds, because neither of them were regular contributors for their first 4 NFL seasons. While Keisel is officially entering his 13th season, he only has 8 years as a starter under his belt. While Harrison is officially entering his 11th season, he only has 7 years as starter under his belt (and one of those years was last year in Cincy). Both guys are too old to ask them to be starters anymore, but both could potentially contribute, especially since they know the defense, they want to be here, they can mentor the young starters, and can offer some of the attitude that our D has been known for in the past.

I'm glad that we no longer have an old starting D (aside from Ike and Troy), but it doesn't hurt to have veteran backups, especially ones that know the system inside and out already. Other teams routinely bring in veteran depth from outside the organization, which can bring questionable results, but I don't see any negatives to bringing back veteran depth who are already "tenured" members of the organization. If we can get Keisel and Harrison back for near veteran minimum deals (especially since we will have plenty left over from the Woodley money we get back next week to sign our draft class and still add a couple of vets), then we should do just that. If either of them ultimately are not given a helmet on gameday in lieu of younger special teamers, so be it. But you'll be glad that you have them should anything happen to your starters.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 05-27-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For football players, especially guys asked to play as physical as Steeler defenders do, 36 years old is OLD. However, Harrison and Keisel are young-ish 36 year olds, because neither of them were regular contributors for their first 4 NFL seasons. While Keisel is officially entering his 13th season, he only has 8 years as a starter under his belt. While Harrison is officially entering his 11th season, he only has 7 years as starter under his belt (and one of those years was last year in Cincy). Both guys are too old to ask them to be starters anymore, but both could potentially contribute, especially since they know the defense, they want to be here, they can mentor the young starters, and can offer some of the attitude that our D has been known for in the past.

I'm glad that we no longer have an old starting D (aside from Ike and Troy), but it doesn't hurt to have veteran backups, especially ones that know the system inside and out already. Other teams routinely bring in veteran depth from outside the organization, which can bring questionable results, but I don't see any negatives to bringing back veteran depth who are already "tenured" members of the organization. If we can get Keisel and Harrison back for near veteran minimum deals (especially since we will have plenty left over from the Woodley money we get back next week to sign our draft class and still add a couple of vets), then we should do just that. If either of them ultimately are not given a helmet on gameday in lieu of younger special teamers, so be it. But you'll be glad that you have them should anything happen to your starters.

"Football years" adjust...Maybe you can buy the argument loosing a year. But They all grind day 1. Playing for winners...Players accrue playoff games which you should take into account the same then. I think since 2000...They Steelers have played an additional 18 games so there is another season of high level football. Some don't have as much game experience...But sitting on the sideline doesn't stop the clock. So 36 is 36 unless you are a QB. There's a reason those "elite athletes" lol play until they are 40.

If the Steelers "Need" someone on the DL or OLB because of injury OR through camp & preseason...They feel the young players need more time...They would be my 2 guys. JH & Keisel will be in shape & one the street if needed. That's my feelings on the matter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Like I said twice...They offered him the pay cut because they thought he could help them out in 2013. If he excepted..JJ would still have been drafted. JJ would have sat behing JH last year unless he could unseat him. My judging of him with the Bengals has nothing to do with system, position etc. If you watched him play...It is based on a 36 year old 11 year vet 3-4 OLB who doesn't have enough game speed to be a starter. Sorry..That's what it is based on.

I was benching over 400 at 36 & in the best shape of my life. That didn't mean I could go out & still play ball like I was in college. Things catch up to you. His knees & back combined with his age & stiffness has put him in severe decline. It is a young mans game...And he is no longer a young man. That doesn't mean "36".
    I would agree with you 95% of the time (except in the case of JH)... and yea, I've hit 400+ on the bench press a few times myself..

My opinion is, he's got something left to contribute if the Steelers signed him this year... you say he doesn't. We'll just leave it at that. Nice debate really. Valid points on both ends I believe. Have a good one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I would agree with you 95% of the time (except in the case of JH)... and yea, I've hit 400+ on the bench press a few times myself..

My opinion is, he's got something left to contribute if the Steelers signed him this year... you say he doesn't. We'll just leave it at that. Nice debate really. Valid points on both ends I believe. Have a good one.

Of course I wouldn't be mad if they brought JH in for camp...Same with Kiesel. Two great Steelers! I just welcome the youth & don't want them to slide a kid down the depth chart IF he makes the team better. The Steelers know more about them & the personnel on the roster...Hard to predict. Its easy to sit here & say what I "think" is best but of course when the Steelers go the different direction...I just trust in them & support. I would say if they are concerned about experienced depth or quality behind the starters...We will see movement on them as soon as June 1st hits.

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course I wouldn't be mad if they brought JH in for camp...Same with Kiesel. Two great Steelers! I just welcome the youth & don't want them to slide a kid down the depth chart IF he makes the team better. The Steelers know more about them & the personnel on the roster...Hard to predict. Its easy to sit here & say what I "think" is best but of course when the Steelers go the different direction...I just trust in them & support. I would say if they are concerned about experienced depth or quality behind the starters...We will see movement on them as soon as June 1st hits.
    agreed...and that is how many on this board feel about how they addressed the perceived need for CB in the draft. Carnell Lake and DL must be seeing something pretty special out of the young guys on the depth chart... not to be drafting CB before round 5.

Legend

User Info Menu

Taylor: 'I call myself a Steeler'

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Cornerback Ike Taylor always will remain in black and gold.

Ike Taylor might not haven taken part in the Steelers’ OTAs yet, but rest assured, he is hard at work. Taylor spends the majority of his offseason working out in Florida with performance Coach Tom Shaw, getting his body and mind ready for the football season.

While he isn’t with his teammates right now, he can’t wait to be back in Pittsburgh, back with the team that he loves so much that he reportedly agreed to a pay cut to play out the last year of his contract with the Steelers.

Why is it so important to you to remain with the Steelers for your entire career?
    I always want to be a Steeler. I don’t want to ever put on another jersey. I want to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler. That is what it boils down. I call myself a Rooney, I call myself a (Dick) LeBeau, and I call myself a Steeler. That is how I feel.

Have you talked to other players who left, got a feel from them what it’s like?
    Talking to Joey Porter I was like it’s my 12th year, I know things are going to come about and him telling me the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Learning from past experiences from teammates who have left and some who came back, and hearing what it was like in other places. I soaked all of that in.

You have one year left on your contact. Do you have a good year of football still in you?
    I feel good. I have been banged up. I have had bruises, injuries, and a lot of stuff. I have just been working through it. I feel like this year I am finally healthy and it’s going to be a good year for me and the organization.

Regardless of what my contract says, I am going to stretch it out as much as possible. This is what I like to do. I like OTAs training camp minicamp training camp, I like going through it with the guys, I like going through the process. I am not going anywhere. I am lifer. When it comes to Pittsburgh, I am a lifer.

There are a lot of new faces in the locker room. Is that a good thing?
    Change is good, regardless of whether you want to face it or not. There are a lot of new guys here. It’s Troy (Polamalu) and I, Ben (Roethlisberger) and Heath (Miller) from the last two Super Bowls.

The defense has added some speed this offseason. Was that needed?
    Speed and attitude go hand in hand. We have the speed on paper and we have to translate that on the field. We need that attitude, be aggressive and have everyone respect us on the field.

We have a lot of young guys that got some playing experience last year and they are ready now. A lot of those guys got experience and are ahead of the game. That helps a lot. The draft picks help.

You are a workout warrior in the offseason. Are you doing your normal workouts with Coach Tom Shaw this year?
    There isn’t anything normal this year. I feel like the last two years have been mediocre. I have been doing a whole lot more than what I used to do.

How have the workouts changed this offseason?
    I am working more on explosiveness. Coach Shaw has gone back to the old school New Orleans workouts, you have to pass out before you come and talk to him. We drink the water, but we are going all the way in. I have been at my best when we had that mindset in the offseason. I said coach put me to the breaking point.

Have you been close to that breaking point?
    A few times, but I felt better afterwards.

Are you exhausted afterwards?
    I am more mentally tired than anything. We train outside in the heat. Football fields, track, mile trail in the woods. We do a lot of stuff. He is back to the old Coach Shaw and it’s going to help everybody that is down there.

What drives you to work that hard?
    That is just me. It burns inside me. I have a lot of pride. We as a team have a lot of pride. We just have to get back to the old Pittsburgh Steelers way, running and hitting, and I think we are in that direction.

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Taylor-I-call-myself-a-Steeler/c03e2342-a4a0-460f-a9ea-9df1c56c7f03#start[/URL]