Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers CB Ike Taylor says Santonio Holmes and James Harrison would like to return

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm just thinking that if somebody needs a breather or there is any kind of injury, I'd rather have JH on the field than Chris Carter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Going by your theory, the steelers obviously thought JH had something left in the tank about a year ago...when they offered him a reduced salary. As has been stated, judging JH by one season in Cincy, where he was getting adjusted in a new system, position, etc doesn't make much sense.

I've been watching some videos of some recent JH workouts, specifically, the one where he was "Pausing" 405 on the bench press for several reps. It takes an absolute monster to pause that kind of weight. Ike Taylor has been working out with JH, and said in a recent interview that JH is in the best shape in his life. I've got to believe that this would translation to some kind of production on the football field...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Going by your theory, the steelers obviously thought JH had something left in the tank about a year ago...when they offered him a reduced salary. As has been stated, judging JH by one season in Cincy, where he was getting adjusted in a new system, position, etc doesn't make much sense.

I've been watching some videos of some recent JH workouts, specifically, the one where he was "Pausing" 405 on the bench press for several reps. It takes an absolute monster to pause that kind of weight. Ike Taylor has been working out with JH, and said in a recent interview that JH is in the best shape in his life. I've got to believe that this would translation to some kind of production on the football field...
    I'm with you 100% that giving JH a roster spot wouldn't be a bad thing, the Steelers have players that they could put on the PS for one year and it would be doubtful that any team would claim them. Remember, if you take a player of the PS he has to be given a roster spot and be paid for three weeks guaranteed. I'd rather have JH prove that he has nothing left in the tank than base it on what went on in Cincy. IMO, sign to a vet minimum, bring him into camp and if he is done, then you can cut him and there's minimal harm to the salary cap, OTOH, if there's gas left in the tank, then you have a guy on your team that knows the defense, and can be used in case of injury and to push those that are on the field (Jones).

The PS players are still learning the defense and getting to practice against NFL talent, I don't see how this isn't a win/win situation for the Steelers.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm with you 100% that giving JH a roster spot wouldn't be a bad thing, the Steelers have players that they could put on the PS for one year and it would be doubtful that any team would claim them. Remember, if you take a player of the PS he has to be given a roster spot and be paid for three weeks guaranteed. I'd rather have JH prove that he has nothing left in the tank than base it on what went on in Cincy. IMO, sign to a vet minimum, bring him into camp and if he is done, then you can cut him and there's minimal harm to the salary cap, OTOH, if there's gas left in the tank, then you have a guy on your team that knows the defense, and can be used in case of injury and to push those that are on the field (Jones).

The PS players are still learning the defense and getting to practice against NFL talent, I don't see how this isn't a win/win situation for the Steelers.

Pappy
    It is absolutely a "Win/Win" Pap. JH is still hungry, and training like a mad man. He feels he has something left to prove...and obviously wants to retire a Steeler. The man has been very dangerous over the course of his career...in proving folks wrong, and playing with a chip on his shoulder. His hard nose attitude and work ethic are the kind that our young guys desperately need. Could you imagine what he and Porter would do for that young LB core this year? Under the right circumstances and price, I would welcome him back to this team. I'd very much like to see JH being given a shot in camp... to determine if he's got something left to contribute on the field.
    Last edited by Ernie; 05-24-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Agreed, Ernie. Harrison is exactly the type who, when told "you can't do it any more", would get fanatical. I think we could get a useful year out of him. At least it's worth the risk. Only question is, will some of the young LBs show enough potential on special teams that there just wouldn't be enough room for Harrison.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Hmm.. I'm following you on our depth at ILB and OLB. Harrison's got something left in the tank though...you can count on that.
    How do you think he has anything left in the tank? Essentially a non factor with the Bumgals last year with 2 sacks and 16 tackles. The concern is the two sacks because he was used mostly in passing situations and couldn't get to the QB. However, I guess 2 sacks does make him twice as good as J Jones
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

From what I can tell, he wasn't used almost exclusively in passing situations...it appears that his snap count isn't skewed that way...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    How do you think he has anything left in the tank? Essentially a non factor with the Bumgals last year with 2 sacks and 16 tackles. The concern is the two sacks because he was used mostly in passing situations and couldn't get to the QB. However, I guess 2 sacks does make him twice as good as J Jones
    I think its ignorant to use his Bengals year as the end all be all. I could see if his last 8 games as a Steeler were pathetic but the D improved big time once he returned from injury.

IMO it would be stupid on our part given the uncertainty at OLB. He is a great LB to have for depth.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    OV, he is a bad fit in the Bengals scheme period. You don't get sacks as an OLBer in that offense. Burfect was as much of a beast as anybody in this league at the position (170 tackles), played as much as anybody and had all of three sacks. JH had 2 as a part time player.

Just watch him. JH looked lost and totally out of his element.

JH best attribute is that he is beast strong. He is the rare OLBer who can power through an OT TO MAKE A PLAY. He is hard to block. Cincy lbers are smaller and quicker. His strengths do not match what a Cincy OLBer does.

Any lost of quickness would impact his ability far more in that scheme. Now Ike is saying HE IS AS STRONG AS EVER? That means much what made him great in our scheme is still there.

He ain't no DMVP but he can be FAR more effective than than anybody riding the pine.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-24-2014 at 04:01 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If James Harrison comes into camp, I bet he ends up astarting this year. The new guys will then be rotated in according to the situation to get them playing experience and putting their best skills to advantage. I bet if he doesn't come back, its because he was told he would not be starting.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.