Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: There's Still A Leadership Void

Legend

User Info Menu

I find this discussion somewhat humorous especially the stereotypes some have about what a leader is. I taught leadership for over three years and one thing that you will find out is the "loudmouth" shouting person is rarely a good leader and that style is rarely sustainable over the long term and it usaually only works when the individual has total institutional control over the people below him. But even then in most cases it is followers who are less than willing versus willing. Most successful leaders are lead by example type people who earn respect, not demand it.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 06-05-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I find this discussion somewhat humorous especially the stereotypes some have about what a leader is. I taught leadership for over three years and one thing that you will find out is the "loudmouth" shouting person is rarely a good leader and that style is rarely sustainable over the long term and it usaually only works when the individual has total institutional control over the people below him. But even then in most cases it is followers who are less than willing versus willing. Most successful leaders are lead by example type people who earn respect, not demand it.
    I didn't read many posts that seemed to express that leaders have to be loud mouths, but they do need to express themselves beyond just playing well. Ray Lewis had things to say, and he was not only the leader of his team, but if there was one guy that most all NFL players respected and saw as a leader, it was Ray. Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Lake, Bettis, Hines Ward, Joey Porter were all leaders and they all had something to say fairly consistently. Lamar Woodley was a productive player for a span, but was never a leader. And now, more than ever, he doesn't appear to be leadership material whatsoever.

News just came out today, that A. Brown is indeed taking over the leadership role with the WRs. That is good to hear. He has proven himself as a player (Pro Bowl) and now he can rightfully take over leading the wide outs. I am pleased to hear that.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Lead my example, I agree with.

Leading by example (outside of sports) is rarely the case especially when it comes to executives/high level managers and especially our government.

Legend

User Info Menu

ehhh.... maybe in the real world but on a football field I think leadership can come in the form of a loudmouth.

That football whisperer stuff sounds great on a message board but you need guys who can cut through the noise and get everyone to stfu when you open your mouth.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ehhh.... maybe in the real world but on a football field I think leadership can come in the form of a loudmouth.

That football whisperer stuff sounds great on a message board but you need guys who can cut through the noise and get everyone to stfu when you open your mouth.
    I know you are dead on felt. Here is what Moats said about Joey Porter

"He kicked that dirt up on you," Moats, 26, said with a laugh. "A couple of times I was watching him on TV and he was so fired up about to fight people. That's what we need. I feel like getting that type of mindset definitely helps us out."
    There are a lot of people, many athletes in particular, who do get fired up by people running their mouth or doing a celebration dance. If you think Steeler linemen didn't respond to Bettis gaining some tough yards and get up and do his little shuffle shaking his head I don't know what to say. Emotional leadership plays a huge part in sports. Why are teams home records usually better than their away records? The home crowd fires them up ... we all know that. That's the same thing that good vocal leaders do.

Sure, in practice and the weight room you have the leaders by example whom you follow but once you get out on that field you need to get a little extra. Hampton holding the line of scrimmage and tackling the runner for no gain is great. People loved the way he did his job but it didn't add anything extra. Hampton busting through the line and sacking the QB in the SB, then bouncing up and down and yelling drove the defensive players into a frenzy.

I also believe that emotions and leaders who can tap into players emotions play a big part in what is known as "momentum". Why is it that a teams running game can get stuffed for 3 quarters and then all of a sudden things change? Your RB breaks a tackle rips off a 5 yard gain. Then the linemen pick up their pace and start opening up holes. Then the play action pass opens up and pretty soon you score. Face it, its an emotional game with an ebb and flow. A leader who can connect with and fire up the players emotions can be the difference between winning some games and losing them. It causes you to win 1 or 2 more games a year it can mean the difference between sitting at home or playing in the SB. I still say Ray Lewis ended up being the difference between the Raven sitting home for the post season in 2012 and winning the SB. He had that type of ability to light a fire under the whole team.

I don't know of anyone on the Steelers who can do this. That's not to say that one can't develop. Ben has something but I think it is more a confidence that the players believe Ben will come through for them but not that he inspires them. Maybe Heyward can be the guy.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Troy plays awe-inspiring ball. But the players response is, "No big deal, that is just Troy being Troy." And yet, do you think you will find Troy telling another player to get their crap together and fly straight? Not likely. For that reason, I don't think he is really a leader. Hines Ward WOULD tell other players to step it up. Do you think Mike Wallace would ever be a leader? I don't, no matter how well he produced. He is the opposite of a leader. Ray Lewis lead a team to a Super Bowl win, when they weren't even that good of a team, as we saw how fast the fell in the season after he left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Lead my example, I agree with.

Leading by example (outside of sports) is rarely the case especially when it comes to executives/high level managers and especially our government.
    The government has leaders?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The government has leaders?

Pappy
    None that I am aware of.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Ray Lewis lead a team to a Super Bowl win, when they weren't even that good of a team, as we saw how fast the fell in the season after he left.
    Baltimore also lost a ton of talent...in addition to Ray Lewis, they also said goodbye to Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin, Dannell Ellerbe, Paul Kruger, Cary Williams, and Bernard Pollard. Plus numerous lingering injuries to multiple members of the OL and offensive backfield.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

James C Wexell @jimwexell :

But the fact that Roethlisberger has risen to a new level of leadership is the best news to come out of #Steelers land. And it's very true.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]