Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: There's Still A Leadership Void

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    The Patriots are a prime example. They don't have the most talent in the league. The past few years their defense has been bad, their receivers average at best, and even their offensive line wasn't that talented. So how do they consistently win double digit games every year and are a force in the AFC?
    They play in a perennially weak-@$$ division?
    basically.... lol.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't think Timmons is outspoken enough to be a leader just like Polamalu. Both are good players but I want a Joey Porter / Greg Lloyd / Jack Lambert type player on this defense. Someone with a bit more fire and intensity. Someone that will "gather the troops" and tell everyone to step it up a notch if they are playing slack.... 2 games that immediately come to mind last year was the Minnesota Vikings and the Miami Dolphins.

At home, in the snow and the Dolphins are marching up and down the field like New Orleans at home against the worst defense in the league. Someone like Porter or Lloyd that would let everyone know that their performance is not how the Steelers play defense and that its not acceptable.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    The Patriots are a prime example. They don't have the most talent in the league. The past few years their defense has been bad, their receivers average at best, and even their offensive line wasn't that talented. So how do they consistently win double digit games every year and are a force in the AFC?
    Because Belichick plays chess and most other teams head coaches player checkers. That's the analogy I'll use to answer your question. I hate the Pats and I don't like Belichick but he is an extremely good strategic head coach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't think Timmons is outspoken enough to be a leader just like Polamalu. Both are good players but I want a Joey Porter / Greg Lloyd / Jack Lambert type player on this defense. Someone with a bit more fire and intensity. Someone that will "gather the troops" and tell everyone to step it up a notch if they are playing slack.... 2 games that immediately come to mind last year was the Minnesota Vikings and the Miami Dolphins.

At home, in the snow and the Dolphins are marching up and down the field like New Orleans at home against the worst defense in the league. Someone like Porter or Lloyd that would let everyone know that their performance is not how the Steelers play defense and that its not acceptable.
    are these leaders or bullies/loudmouths?

I never viewed Porter or Lambert as leaders.. just badass players.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    are these leaders or bullies/loudmouths?

I never viewed Porter or Lambert as leaders.. just badass players.
    Yes.. I want NFL bullies and badasses. Give me more of those please especially on defense. Seriously? A grown man & NFL player getting bullied? What the hell is society coming to... a bunch of freakin' wimps.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Give me as many talented players possible on the team. Talent wins football games. These guys are professionals. They have a job to do & the coaches are the ones who who should be up there A$$ if they aren't doing it. Teams are a reflection of their coach..That's on Tomlins plate & its full with the youth! You get production boom from the talent & players start looking up to them. That's when leaders are born.

Porter was here 8 years & the Steelers won 1 SB. It wasn't Porter who made the difference at the end of his career when they won. Lloyd was here 10 & we got zero. Flowers was one of the most vocal guys on the field he netted jack. The two most recent Leaders in the SB run weren't outspoken on the field or up in your face motivators. It was pure respect that gave them that hat. That came from their production on the field & their work ethic. That was Farrior & Harrison. Two extremely talented Steelers who were the heart & soul of the D for many years...And 2 SBs! That's the players you want to lead. Those types are here. They will step up & the rest to follow.

So a "leader" would have made a difference in the Dolphins & Vikings game? What about the other 6 losses? A leader wouldn't have change any outcome. Old...Slow...Lack of talent...That's the story of 2013 that FINALLY came to a head. The front office recognized it & are moving forward.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Farrior was plenty vocal. Maybe not a trash talker like Porter but he wasn't quiet. We don't have a Farrior on this defense right now from a vocal leader perspective.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Give me as many talented players possible on the team. Talent wins football games. These guys are professionals. They have a job to do & the coaches are the ones who who should be up there A$$ if they aren't doing it. Teams are a reflection of their coach..That's on Tomlins plate & its full with the youth! You get production boom from the talent & players start looking up to them. That's when leaders are born.

Porter was here 8 years & the Steelers won 1 SB. It wasn't Porter who made the difference at the end of his career when they won. Lloyd was here 10 & we got zero. Flowers was one of the most vocal guys on the field he netted jack. The two most recent Leaders in the SB run weren't outspoken on the field or up in your face motivators. It was pure respect that gave them that hat. That came from their production on the field & their work ethic. That was Farrior & Harrison. Two extremely talented Steelers who were the heart & soul of the D for many years...And 2 SBs! That's the players you want to lead. Those types are here. They will step up & the rest to follow.

So a "leader" would have made a difference in the Dolphins & Vikings game? What about the other 6 losses? A leader wouldn't have change any outcome. Old...Slow...Lack of talent...That's the story of 2013 that FINALLY came to a head. The front office recognized it & are moving forward.
    Yea.. I do think that 1 person on defense could have made the different. Playing defense with a bit of fire and attitude is what I want....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yea.. I do think that 1 person on defense could have made the different. Playing defense with a bit of fire and attitude is what I want....
    .................................................. ...Who?

Playing with a bit more fire & attitude if you are old & slow doesn't net more wins. If the body can't...Running your mouth or being Pi$$ed off doesn't all of the sudden make you young again. Just plug in that "Firey Leader" you want...Does it change the other 10?
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 06-03-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

And personally, I think Porter and his loudmouth had an enormous impact on the Steelers Super Bowl XL run during the playoffs.