Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 113

Thread: There's Still A Leadership Void

  1. #71
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Haha. This is just funny.

    You act like Farrior wasn't vocal to his teammates and he was just a relay person between the coaches and teammates.. He was and it wasn't just X's and O's. Farrior could rally the troops. Timmons is not Farrior and never will be. It's not his personality. Timmons is "now ready to be vocal"? lol... after 7 years?

    Like I said Captain of the Obvious, you need to perform as well or the locker room vocal individuals don't carry any weight. If you downplay adrenaline during any physical activity then I can't help you. Even outside of football, adrenaline has caused people to achieve things that doctors, etc can't even explain.



    Really? Last time I checked, the Steelers have never won a SB without a vocal leader. The Steelers still don't have one on defense but I think Heyward might step up into that role.

    Please keep explaining the game of football to all of us dummies out here. We don't get it. Can you send me the "Pee Wee Football" handbook that you are referencing, please?


    Well Keep laughing cause that's all you got. A Biology lesson as reasoning for your argument? Really? Pathetic...You haven't told me anything football that I didn't mention.

    I said Farrior wasn't that "adrenaline pumper" you keep harping about. He didn't run his mouth like Porter. You don't have to be that to be a leader. Neither was Harrison, A Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Clark....They were leaders by example. It is clearly obvious you weren't in the game long...We found Captain Obvious! I never said anything about a bridge of players & coaches. What I said relates to his understanding of the game. That takes a special player. Perhaps you heard of communication with your team mates & coaches. That understanding & communication contributes to a good leader...Same fashion as BB on offense.

    There are players here that "motivate the troops". Do you think they go to the sideline & knit or listen to music? Wow...Blind. You don't have to be an up in your face leader to motivate. Don't be a little Beotch & change your story now. They guy you described wasn't Farrior. He wasn't a vocal leader like Ray Lewis or Joey Porter by any stretch. He had his own way of going about it. There are vocal leaders on this team. Being vocal doesn't mean the audio picks them up on the broadcast chewing out players or pumping them up. Vocal means on the practice field...In the film room....In the locker room....On the sideline...In the game. Timmons didn't have to be that guy with Farrior, Smith, Keisel, Harrison, etc. Around the locker room....Wake up...They aren't here now. Read the article about AB. That isn't my words...That's coming from a football player ready to assume the leadership role. Sound familiar?

    What I said about production & locker room leader holds allot of weight. That's where leaders take stage. Not just the 60 minutes on Sunday. You don't get that & never will...That's why you will be inferior. There is adrenaline pumping when you run down the tunnel. Your infatuation with adrenalin is humorous. This isn't a movie where the need a rush to come out just to make a big play. Honestly, the stuff you are saying is like you never stepped on the field. "You need someone to pump them up on the sideline & get the adrenaline going so they play better!"....Ummm...No. These are football players...Professional football players....They better be there. It's a violent game & your adrenaline is pumping all the time. You wouldn't know that being a towel boy so I will give you a pass.

    Porter was the last guy that fits your description. They won 1 & also lost one to GB. Farrior, Harrison, Ward, Clark, Smith, Diesel....They were all leaders. Those have been the type of Steeler leaders since & that's what will rise now that there is a changing of the guard. There may be one on the horizon that may be a real in your face leader but be dam sure his production on the field & work ethic is what will get them to listen & follow...Not his mouth! I don't have time to explain football to you dummy because your version in your mind exist on an Xbox or what you see in the movies. Keep looking for that adrenaline rush that you think changes everything. The Pee Wee Football handbook is in your nightstand. Unless you played after College Spanky...You didn't go further than me.



  2. #72
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    22,014
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This message board definitely needs some leadership... smh.
    I should start moderating with ALL CAPS, so you fools will all fall in line behind a loudmouth vocal leader.

  3. #73
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I should start moderating with ALL CAPS, so you fools will all fall in line behind a loudmouth vocal leader.
    No need...You got my respect...I got your back!



  4. #74
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,648
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    No need...You got my respect...I got your back!
    You don't have mine. Seriously though.. your typically a good poster but you should seriously ask yourself if you want to continue posting on this board because insulting the owner isn't very intelligent. I could care less if you end up like Crash (banned), move to a different board, or post again. Your wrong about me personally but I won't delete the post. I still disagree with you that our defense has a vocal leader but thats all good. In fact, I disagree with pretty much your entire argument. I'll be a man and just leave it at that and you have a decision to make.

    Oh and by the way, you should watch the recent Ike interview if you have any question about Peezy being a great teammate. Ike wouldn't know a damn thing about the Steelers locker room dynamics, would he? He must be reading the same Pee Wee Football handbook that I'm reading.

    Here is the video. Maybe you should get yourself the Pee Wee Football handbook that Ike and I have.

    http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...c-614fb8525b7d

  5. #75
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You don't have mine. Seriously though.. your typically a good poster but you should seriously ask yourself if you want to continue posting on this board because insulting the owner isn't very intelligent. I could care less if you end up like Crash (banned), move to a different board, or post again. Your wrong about me personally but I won't delete the post. I still disagree with you that our defense has a vocal leader but thats all good. In fact, I disagree with pretty much your entire argument. I'll be a man and just leave it at that and you have a decision to make.

    Oh and by the way, you should watch the recent Ike interview if you have any question about Peezy being a great teammate. Ike wouldn't know a damn thing about the Steelers locker room dynamics, would he? He must be reading the same Pee Wee Football handbook that I'm reading.

    Here is the video. Maybe you should get yourself the Pee Wee Football handbook that Ike and I have.

    http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...c-614fb8525b7d
    I don't know you are the owner. I thought you were an administrator. You took jabs at me that I took as insults & I jabbed back. I have been the same person here since day 1 so you know I don't back off. You don't have to respect me. I get in debate with people & walk away still respecting them. In the heat of this argument I insulted you back but Im man enough to say it was because of that. I respect your post over time but I don't lose respect for someone because we share different opinions.


    So I am wrong about you...We don't know each other. But you are wrong about me. We feel differently on the subject. If your theory is right the Steelers will suffer through non playoff seasons. We will leave that debate to that.

    By the way...Never said Porter was a bad team mate. Porter is actually one of my favs over the years along with Lloyd hence my name. I just said they are different animals than the leaders since them & the ones in place.

    You have a great website but I'm not going to agree with you on this because You own it. We will agree to disagree & move on.



  6. #76
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,648
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't know you are the owner. I thought you were an administrator. You took jabs at me that I took as insults & I jabbed back. I have been the same person here since day 1 so you know I don't back off. You don't have to respect me. I get in debate with people & walk away still respecting them. In the heat of this argument I insulted you back but Im man enough to say it was because of that. I respect your post over time but I don't lose respect for someone because we share different opinions.


    So I am wrong about you...We don't know each other. But you are wrong about me. We feel differently on the subject. If your theory is right the Steelers will suffer through non playoff seasons. We will leave that debate to that.

    By the way...Never said Porter was a bad team mate. Porter is actually one of my favs over the years along with Lloyd hence my name. I just said they are different animals than the leaders since them & the ones in place.

    You have a great website but I'm not going to agree with you on this because You own it. We will agree to disagree & move on.
    I never said that the Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs. I said they have never won a SB without a defensive vocal leader. I included Peezy in that conversation as I did Farrior when talking about 2 defensive vocal leaders from our past SBs. Two different leaders. I questioned that we are missing a defensive vocal leader is on this team and that I think Heyward has the potential.

    So when Ike says that Peezy is probably the best teammate you can have and that how well he communicates with everyone on the team, offense, defense etc... listening to Ike talk, he sure sounds like he would have considered Peezy a leader to me.

  7. #77
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I never said that the Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs. I said they have never won a SB without a defensive vocal leader. I included Peezy in that conversation as I did Farrior when talking about 2 defensive vocal leaders from our past SBs. Two different leaders. I questioned that we are missing a defensive vocal leader is on this team and that I think Heyward has the potential.

    So when Ike says that Peezy is probably the best teammate you can have and that how well he communicates with everyone on the team, offense, defense etc... listening to Ike talk, he sure sounds like he would have considered Peezy a leader to me.



    I don't know where we started disagreeing but I agree with what you are saying. I never said Porter wasn't a leader or good team mate. I said Porter was more of the leader you were describing you wanted & he was the last one we had. He is a "Ra-Ra" leader. In my opinion, On Defense..The Farriors, Smith's, Keisels, Harrisons, & even Clark's & Troy are different types of leaders. They were vocal but I think our definition of "vocal" doesn't compare. We won a SB & lost one with those types. They weren't those Ra-Ra guys who walked up & down the sideline shouting & challenging their team mates. That's where we disagree I believe.

    I mentioned making the playoffs because you feel we don't have that guy to lead & if that is the case we should continue to decline. Perhaps I interpreted that wrong. I feel the defense has leaders in place & they will step up now that the core vet presence has almost been completely removed. I also feel another True Leader of Any team also stems from the QB at this level & I also believe we have that in BB. That's my stance. I feel there has been a terrific injection of youth, talent, & promising leadership ability over the last two years. I like where this team could be over the next year or two. Whatever opinion we don't share is understandable.

    I also feel obligated to publicly tell you I will delete any post you would like me to remove. Respectfully for you as the owner of this site, they don't have to be viewable.



  8. #78
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,648
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post


    I don't know where we started disagreeing but I agree with what you are saying. I never said Porter wasn't a leader or good team mate. I said Porter was more of the leader you were describing you wanted & he was the last one we had. He is a "Ra-Ra" leader. In my opinion, On Defense..The Farriors, Smith's, Keisels, Harrisons, & even Clark's & Troy are different types of leaders. They were vocal but I think our definition of "vocal" doesn't compare. We won a SB & lost one with those types. They weren't those Ra-Ra guys who walked up & down the sideline shouting & challenging their team mates. That's where we disagree I believe.

    I mentioned making the playoffs because you feel we don't have that guy to lead & if that is the case we should continue to decline. Perhaps I interpreted that wrong. I feel the defense has leaders in place & they will step up now that the core vet presence has almost been completely removed. I also feel another True Leader of Any team also stems from the QB at this level & I also believe we have that in BB. That's my stance. I feel there has been a terrific injection of youth, talent, & promising leadership ability over the last two years. I like where this team could be over the next year or two. Whatever opinion we don't share is understandable.

    I also feel obligated to publicly tell you I will delete any post you would like me to remove. Respectfully for you as the owner of this site, they don't have to be viewable.
    It's all good. I think we agree on many points... we always have. You don't need to delete that post. That is up to you as the poster.

    One person that I completely forgot about was Sean Spence. That is a guy that has always been considered to have great leadership qualities. If he comes back and plays, that guy deserves and likely will be a leader. How can anyone not have respect for him considering what he's been thru.

    I've been trying to find a video of Keith Butler that hinted of lack of locker room leadership. Granted, he didn't say lack of leadership directly but definitely hinted at it. I finally found the video:

    http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...e-ac3dfaff90c3

    Skip to 1:15.... Butler says above Spence:

    "He will provide intangibles in our locker room that we desperately need"

    That doesn't sound good to me. Don't you think that hints at lack of leadership? What else could it be?

  9. #79
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Yes...Absolutely. Leadership abilities & his understanding of the game was one of his assets coming out. He was an MVP & Team captain at UM & the coaches raved about his understanding of the game. The Steelers envisioned him as playing Buck & being the "defensive QB" on the field. He was a surprise in camp at how fast he grasped everything & he was on track to possibly unseat Foote at Buck before his injury as a rookie. Like I said..."He will provide intangibles in our locker room that we desperately need"...That's a big part of being a Leader. The things that happen off field that we don't get to see are really a large part of Leadership IMO. This was all happening with Farrior & A Smith not returning & because of Father time...Butler knew Foote, Harrison, Hampton, Clark, Taylor, & Troy were soon to follow. You are talking about 8 of the 11 core defensive players...I don't think the word "Desperate" was a strong enough word given the situation & what the near future held.

    The Steelers drafted Heyward & C Allen in '11 with some of those intangibles to hopefully fill that void as the vets departed. They also believe '12-'13 Spence, JJ, & Thomas have those same qualities. Since Heyward's production boom last year...It appears he will be the first one to step up. I think things are in place. I also think one of the reasons Mike Mitchell was there big FA target was what he did in Carolina last year. He was a locker room guy especially in pre game & halftime that got the guys right. His brand of football was contagious & that's what the Steelers are hoping follows him.


    http://pit.scout.com/2/1201233.html
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 06-05-2014 at 12:53 PM.



  10. #80
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Hearing things like this is encouraging.


    Aditi KinkhabwalaVerified account@AKinkhabwala 42m Steelers' 2013 1st rd LB Jarvis Jones' advice to '14 1st rd LB Ryan Shazier: "Follow Lawrence Timmons everywhere."

    Aditi KinkhabwalaVerified account@AKinkhabwala 52m Ben Roethlisberger awfully instructive at OTA today. Explaining what he wants from WRs, demonstrating how he'd like routes run.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •