Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 113

Thread: There's Still A Leadership Void

  1. #61
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,225
    [QUOTE=Slapstick;604704]
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    The Patriots are a prime example. They don't have the most talent in the league. The past few years their defense has been bad, their receivers average at best, and even their offensive line wasn't that talented. So how do they consistently win double digit games every year and are a force in the AFC? /QUOTE]

    They play in a perennially weak-@$$ division?
    That's been said about the Steelers and the division they play in through the 90s and 2000s. The Patriots have gone to the SB 5 times in the last 12 years. How does a weak-@$$ division explain that?
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  2. #62
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post


    You just went off the road right into the woods! You can't go through every roster & pick out that loud mouth badass you want. The Steelers have leaders here. They also haven't had that badass loud mouth you THINK they need in the last 2 SB appearances. BB is a leader...Plain & simple. The type of idiot you are looking for would be Phillip Rivers. What has that got him? That's the difference.

    I played the game for a long time. You are looking for a punk on the field that does nothing but run his mouth. Sometimes you get that to go with a hall of famer...Ray Lewis. Sometimes you get the punk that runs his mouth & is average...Bart Scott. I'll take every talented player that flat out plays & does his job. Because you put talent at every position & they can execute...They will be winners. Those players become leaders because team mates respect what they do & they follow. They want to play for each other. They want to go into battle with their brothers. Who wants the little ass trash talker. You want a badass....Well badass doesn't equal football player & players don't follow someone just cause he acts like a badass. AB has grown into a leader & is one of the most humble players that takes the field. You don't have to be a D!ck to be a great football player & leader...You just have to be great!


    You know...Stupid argument & we are wasting each others time. We will see how we do this year with what we got. We don't have the guy you like so if they miss the playoffs...Bump the tread!
    I don't care if you played pee wee football like most of the people on this board. Don't play that game with me because I guarantee I know just as much about the game as you do. Either way, lets steer clear of all that mess.

    Apparently, in your infinite playing career, you never had a teammate that could get other players hyped up for a game and get the adrenaline flowing in people even moreso than regular. Those guys are good teammates and they have a tendency to bring out more of others than what they thought was possibly... whether it be due to an adrenaline rush or more confidence or whatever. They don't need to run their mouth to the opposing team and that is what you think I'm promoting... which is inaccurate. I'm sure you'd be happy with all the soft Jonathan Martins to fill our roster.

    By the way... did I mention AB, Heath or Ben aren't leaders? I didn't. Also, I referring to defense in this argument, not offense.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Joey was such a loose cannon and spectacle, I credit him for taking all the pressure off Ben in XL by stealing the media focus and pointing it all on himself.
    Wow Ben has NEVER looked so nervous as he was in that game. If THAT is your example WE DONT NEED leadership.

  4. #64
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,263
    [QUOTE=ikestops85;604772]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

    That's been said about the Steelers and the division they play in through the 90s and 2000s. The Patriots have gone to the SB 5 times in the last 12 years. How does a weak-@$$ division explain that?
    Well... I think we all know what the OTHER reasons were for the first 3 SB appearances.

    But as far as the Steelers are concerned it definitely helps when the Clowns and Bungals suck. It makes it easier to get to the postseason.

  5. #65
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Wow Ben has NEVER looked so nervous as he was in that game. If THAT is your example WE DONT NEED leadership.
    I was thinking the same thing. Has Ben had a worse game? As good as he was in the run up to the SB, he was just off kilter in the game itself.

  6. #66
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't care if you played pee wee football like most of the people on this board. Don't play that game with me because I guarantee I know just as much about the game as you do. Either way, lets steer clear of all that mess.

    Apparently, in your infinite playing career, you never had a teammate that could get other players hyped up for a game and get the adrenaline flowing in people even moreso than regular. Those guys are good teammates and they have a tendency to bring out more of others than what they thought was possibly... whether it be due to an adrenaline rush or more confidence or whatever. They don't need to run their mouth to the opposing team and that is what you think I'm promoting... which is inaccurate. I'm sure you'd be happy with all the soft Jonathan Martins to fill our roster.

    By the way... did I mention AB, Heath or Ben aren't leaders? I didn't. Also, I referring to defense in this argument, not offense.



    I read your posts...Your guarantee is paper. Smoke is Smoke. So you want to be condescending & take some jabs because you are an administrator...I'll play along.

    You are talking garbage. Adrenaline kicks in when you cross the lines. Are you serious? You want a cheerleader to get your adrenaline going? Apparently you couldn't get yourself in that state of mind to play. What were you a kicker? These are professionals. You are talking like you never played the game & only watch it on TV. You are a hype guy that doesn't understand the game is mental. If they need someone else to motivate them they don't belong in the game...Fact. I don't care about your "pump up guy". That exist on this team right now. There are players & coaches here who talk on the sideline to get each other up. That happens on every team. Leaders exist because of what they do on the field. Your idiotic comment about Jonathan Martin tells me all I need to know about you. I'll take a Timmons or Polamalu every time over your trash. I'll take the guys who are productive & lead by example. If this team needs a vocal leader to succeed like you suggest...Then get rid of those players that need that. They haven't had it since Porter left & they did just fine.

    So now we are cutting the argument to defense...Figures that is where you go. You mentioned Farrior in your post. Farrior was a great leader on defense. He doesn't help your argument...he hurts it. Farrior was well respected because of his production. Farrior was looked up to by young & old because he was the defensive Captain...The QB of the defense getting everyone right. He wasn't a "cheerleader" or "adrenaline pumper". He was a true professional of the game that gained the respect by his production & work ethic. When they huddled on the sideline after a series...He relayed the info to Butler & DL. He was a large part of the in-game adjustments because he saw everything. He wasn't no Porter...He was no Lambert or LLoyd...But he was a GREAT leader by example.

    The pure fact that you didn't even mention the weeks before every game reveals your deficiencies. That's where leaders make there presence felt. You didn't mention that at all. You are worried about game day hype guys & that's not what makes Leaders great...End of story. The defense has their leaders. Leaders get old & teams move on. You did say "I don't think Timmons is outspoken enough to be a leader just like Polamalu". Timmons is ready to assume the focal point. Polamalu has always been a silent leader...But you don't know that. Mitchell seemed to have some leadership abilities with Carolina. Heyward WILL be a flavor of the presence you like. When JJ hits his stride...He will become more vocal. That right there will be everything in a nutshell of what I said. I'm saying "when" because he is a Steeler....When his production on the field meets what he does off the field....He will become vocal on defense. There is allot more young guys to fill those roles but they have to be productive on the field to set the example. If you have been a Steeler fan for ANY amount of time...You know all the leaders mentioned had to come in & earn it. ALL OF THEM. That's the Steelers way...Any last time I looked...It's what works.

    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 06-04-2014 at 08:57 AM.



  7. #67
    Ben has admitted that he was extremely nervous before that Super Bowl game. I suggest two reasons: (1) He was at that time one of the youngest QBs ever to start in a SB. (2) The two-week break between the AFCC game and the SB was a big momentum-killer. If the Steelers could have played a week after the AFCC game they'd have been much better off. A two-week break amidst all the hoopla of "The Bus Comes Home" and "This will be like a home game" gave them all time to get nervous. As I recall, Hines Ward said he had never thrown up before a game...until that one.

    As for leadership, I'm still not worried about it. It can come from unexpected sources. For example, I have read a great deal about D-Day. In the first hours of the landing there was complete chaos and most of the officers had been killed. It was sergeants and corporals who formed up little squads and figured out ways to move forward.
    Last edited by RobinCole; 06-04-2014 at 09:10 AM.

  8. #68
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post



    I read your posts...Your guarantee is paper. Smoke is Smoke. So you want to be condescending & take some jabs because you are an administrator...I'll play along.

    You are talking garbage. Adrenaline kicks in when you cross the lines. Are you serious? You want a cheerleader to get your adrenaline going? Apparently you couldn't get yourself in that state of mind to play. What were you a kicker? These are professionals. You are talking like you never played the game & only watch it on TV. You are a hype guy that doesn't understand the game is mental. If they need someone else to motivate them they don't belong in the game...Fact. I don't care about your "pump up guy". That exist on this team right now. There are players & coaches here who talk on the sideline to get each other up. That happens on every team. Leaders exist because of what they do on the field. Your idiotic comment about Jonathan Martin tells me all I need to know about you. I'll take a Timmons or Polamalu every time over your trash. I'll take the guys who are productive & lead by example. If this team needs a vocal leader to succeed like you suggest...Then get rid of those players that need that. They haven't had it since Porter left & they did just fine.

    So now we are cutting the argument to defense...Figures that is where you go. You mentioned Farrior in your post. Farrior was a great leader on defense. He doesn't help your argument...he hurts it. Farrior was well respected because of his production. Farrior was looked up to by young & old because he was the defensive Captain...The QB of the defense getting everyone right. He wasn't a "cheerleader" or "adrenaline pumper". He was a true professional of the game that gained the respect by his production & work ethic. When they huddled on the sideline after a series...He relayed the info to Butler & DL. He was a large part of the in-game adjustments because he saw everything. He wasn't no Porter...He was no Lambert or LLoyd...But he was a GREAT leader by example.

    The pure fact that you didn't even mention the weeks before every game reveals your deficiencies. That's where leaders make there presence felt. You didn't mention that at all. You are worried about game day hype guys & that's not what makes Leaders great...End of story. The defense has their leaders. Leaders get old & teams move on. You did say "I don't think Timmons is outspoken enough to be a leader just like Polamalu". Timmons is ready to assume the focal point. Polamalu has always been a silent leader...But you don't know that. Mitchell seemed to have some leadership abilities with Carolina. Heyward WILL be a flavor of the presence you like. When JJ hits his stride...He will become more vocal. That right there will be everything in a nutshell of what I said. I'm saying "when" because he is a Steeler....When his production on the field meets what he does off the field....He will become vocal on defense. There is allot more young guys to fill those roles but they have to be productive on the field to set the example. If you have been a Steeler fan for ANY amount of time...You know all the leaders mentioned had to come in & earn it. ALL OF THEM. That's the Steelers way...Any last time I looked...It's what works.

    Haha. This is just funny.

    You act like Farrior wasn't vocal to his teammates and he was just a relay person between the coaches and teammates.. He was and it wasn't just X's and O's. Farrior could rally the troops. Timmons is not Farrior and never will be. It's not his personality. Timmons is "now ready to be vocal"? lol... after 7 years?

    Obviously, you comprehend what I wrote...In order to be a vocal leader, you need to perform as well or the vocal leadership doesn't much weight.. If you downplay adrenaline during any physical activity then I can't help you. Even outside of football, adrenaline has caused people to achieve things that doctors, etc can't even explain.

    It's what works.
    Really? Last time I checked, the Steelers have never won a SB without a vocal leader. The Steelers still don't have one on defense but I think Heyward might step up into that role.

    Please keep explaining the game of football to all of us dummies out here. We don't get it. Can you send me the "Pee Wee Football" handbook that you are referencing, please?

  9. #69
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,263
    This message board definitely needs some leadership... smh.

  10. #70
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,470
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This message board definitely needs some leadership... smh.
    Your right. Since you don't like the way this forum is operated, let me lead you in the right direction:

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Steelers+Forums

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •