Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A colossal part of the problem on D (that no one talks about)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A colossal part of the problem on D (that no one talks about)

Yes, we need some upgrades in personnel at the D side of the ball. It seems safe to say we need better DL play, with Hood not cutting it, and perhaps McClendon not good enough. Clark seems fairly ineffective, due to age and/or new rules where you can't hit receivers without getting flagged. ILB was a weakness. OLB not cutting it with JJ being too young/weak and Woodley not being what he used to be.

So, granted, we need some new players and we got some (but whether we really filled all holes, we will have to see, not sure myself).

But you know what? We have more problems than just the above; having Troy play all over the place, with seemingly no accountability, killed us. I am not sure what the game plan was. But all I know is, it felt like we were playing 10 men vs. 11 most of the time. TP guessed wrong so often, that a WR was wide open for a huge play. LeBoo is on record for saying that TP is the most instinctual player he has ever seen. Well, maybe the old Troy, but last year was full of TP guessing wrong. Where he once made plays all over, it seemed, more often than not, he was left out in "no man's land" being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And what was with playing him at LB all the time? What was that about? Were they trying to make up for the absence of skill at ILB or something else?

Fact is, our rushing D fell off a cliff, so, whatever that experiment with TP playing ILB should probably end.

To my eyes, it wasn't about TP losing a step so much last year; for the first time in a while, I felt TP has his quickness back. But something must change from last season. TP is simply caught guessing wrong, leaving a WR wide open far too often. That game plan is FAIL. If they don't have a better plan than "Let's let Troy roam where ever he wants" then better personnel around him still won't be the answer. I wonder if this is why our D actually got better in 2011 when they had to deal with life without Troy? Could be, that allowing a player to freelance all over hurts more than it helps. Put him in a little more structure than "Let's hope he guesses right" all the time.

Do that, and the D improves. Do it not, and some better players here and there still won't be the cure.
    Last edited by sick beats; 05-19-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Didn't the draft address this problem? And what's with the notion that this was a secret that nobody was talking about? It was being talked about constantly.

Oh, and who wrote this and when? The first paragraph sounds like it was written during the season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Didn't the draft address this problem?
    Umm, that depends. I don't believe they took an ILB off the field when TP played up there, did they? They could still move TP to ILB like last year, even with a new ILB on the roster, could they not?

And what's with the notion that this was a secret that nobody was talking about? It was being talked about constantly.
    Where? The subject is not just TP playing ILB; it is the fact that he is out of position so much of the time. Who is at fault for that? Is LeBoo allowing for that? Is Tomlin? Playing 10 on 11 is FAIL, period.
    Oh, and who wrote this and when?
    Me, a few minutes ago.

The first paragraph sounds like it was written during the season.
    Not sure what you mean.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Umm, that depends. I don't believe they took an ILB off the field when TP played up there, did they? They could still move TP to ILB like last year, even with a new ILB on the roster, could they not?
    There were packages where Troy was playing as a traditional 3-4 ILB due to the ineffectiveness of Vince Williams and the rest.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    There were packages where Troy was playing as a traditional 3-4 ILB due to the ineffectiveness of Vince Williams and the rest.
    finally, someone who gets it. TP had to support a very young defense while also supporting an ineffective Ryan Clark. In his young days he was superman, but clearly that time has passed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    TP had to support a very young defense while also supporting an ineffective Ryan Clark. In his young days he was superman, but clearly that time has passed.
    that pretty much seems to be the consensus amongst all posters here...

Legend

User Info Menu

This won't be a popular post but you are right on. I have been shouted down for calling out TP's play last season...people saying he had a great year. Sorry I didn't see it. He had his moments but he doesn't look close to the old Troy. My hope? Is that the old, slow D around him caused him to feel like he needed to do everything, try too hard. My hope is that the D overall takes it off his shoulders and lets him play within his range.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This won't be a popular post but you are right on. I have been shouted down for calling out TP's play last season...people saying he had a great year. Sorry I didn't see it. He had his moments but he doesn't look close to the old Troy. My hope? Is that the old, slow D around him caused him to feel like he needed to do everything, try too hard. My hope is that the D overall takes it off his shoulders and lets him play within his range.
    Right on, Shawn. I think the reason some think TP was back, was because he did appear to have most of his quickness back for the first time in a few years. To that, I agree. Where I don't agree is that he had a great season; he did not. For whatever reason - either by design or just letting TP free lance where and when ever he wanted - he just kept guessing wrong, far too often. And I am with you: I hope with upgraded personnel, TP can stop trying to do so much, which ends up causing him to screw up much of the time. If Shazier is what the front office thinks he is, if our new safety is an upgrade over Ryan "all I can do it hit" Clark, if our DL is improved with Tuitt and maybe an upgrade at NT, if Ike isn't too much a liability....maybe TP can just fill his role, not try to be all things to all over the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Not unpopular at all. Who said Troy was "great" last year? He was better than his hobbled self but nobody thinks he was great.Perhaps people defended him as not being "done" based on the unreasonable load he had. But I and I would guess most people completely agree with you.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Not unpopular at all. Who said Troy was "great" last year? He was better than his hobbled self but nobody thinks he was great.Perhaps people defended him as not being "done" based on the unreasonable load he had. But I and I would guess most people completely agree with you.
    I agree that most would agree he wasn't as physically hobbled. He did seem to have his burst back, he just launched it in the wrong direction far too often. Reign him back in. Give him two options each play, not 10.