Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A colossal part of the problem on D (that no one talks about)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This won't be a popular post but you are right on. I have been shouted down for calling out TP's play last season...people saying he had a great year. Sorry I didn't see it. He had his moments but he doesn't look close to the old Troy. My hope? Is that the old, slow D around him caused him to feel like he needed to do everything, try too hard. My hope is that the D overall takes it off his shoulders and lets him play within his range.
    He may have been trying to do too much last year. Troy is clearly not the same player that he was before, but he was one of the few players on defense last year who was capable of creating a turnover or making a big play. With all the focus on the Ds lack of turnovers, I did get a sense that Troy was trying too hard to make something happen.

As far as him guessing, I remember him completely guessing wrong on one play in the blowout against the Pats* but not a whole lot aside from that.

Legend
    Troy definitely guessed wrong a few times last year... it happens. Just like Ben will play cowboy a few times and throw an INT or take a bad sack.

It happens to all the greats who play a little wreckless.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The key will be Jarvis Jones playing better...
    That is this teams biggest concern for 2014. Not really confident based on last year. Maybe he gets stronger, but that won't make him faster.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    As I said in the second post in this thread, they addressed this problem in the draft. They might not have solved it but they addressed it. They are well aware that Troy can't be playing Rover all year, thus the selection of two LBs and two large sides of beef to shore up the front seven.

Really now, "LeBoo" is old but shows no symptoms of senility. If we can see a colossal problem, he sees it too. Probably saw it before we did.
    Bravo post. Exactly what I was gonna say...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    The problem with our defense is that we are trying to run a 3-4 with average to below average and undersized project linebackers and NO stud NT. End of discussion.
    This guy right here said it all. Why do you guys think Troy was playing up so much? With Shazier, another season under McClendon's belt and Mike Mitchell at S we will start to see what we used to see.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That is this teams biggest concern for 2014. Not really confident based on last year. Maybe he gets stronger, but that won't make him faster.
    Actually, taking Joo Joo beans does make you stronger and faster; if it didn't, track runners would not be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I did use present tense, but my point was those areas were weak and were part of the problem. Yes, Clark, Woodley et al are no longer, but their previous presence could be blamed for part of the problem, where as, so was the way TP was being used. I don't need to use others' writings to pass them off as my own. Not even close.
    so, since clark and woodley are gone and replaced by newer, younger guys...... END OF THREAD.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Actually, taking Joo Joo beans does make you stronger and faster; if it didn't, track runners would not be on it.
    Interesting...they seem to have the opposite effect on me. Fatter and slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    While his 40 was slow, his 10 yard split was the same as Aldon Smith and .01 more than LaMarr Woodley...

He has plenty of short area quickness to reach the QB...as long as he built up some strength and is receiving pass rushing instruction from Joey Porter, I have no doubt his game will pick up...

Troy was only an average linebacker last year.