Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Draft - Good or Bad

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 Draft - Good or Bad

Just curious what you think of this years draft class overall? What do you predict out of the 2014 class?

I think it's gonna be a good class that produces 4-5 quality starters with 2 Pro Bowlers.

The general consensus around here seems to be slightly negative. Is that just a general frustration with the team that's bleeding over into your view of the draft? A general dislike of Tomlin/Colbert? Or do you just not like the guys we picked?

My take is this is supposed to be one of the deepest classes in years, so we should be stocking up with talent out of this draft class.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we have a draft class that is easily our best in 10 years.

1. Ryan Shazier will be very good, but not our best. Tuitt owns that in my book.

2. Dri Archer will be very good also, maybe even 2-3 pro bowls as a return man.

3. Martavis Bryant will be our best WR in 3 years time.

4. Shaq Richardson will be our best CB in 2 years time.

5. Daniel McCullers will be our NT for the next 7-10 years.

Optimism at its best, but I really like our draft overall.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers drafted the correct positions with one exception, I would have liked a CB a little higher than the 5th round. Me, I would have held off on Archer (even though I like his potential to be a game changer) and drafted a CB in round 3 and then an RB in the 5th. How good they will be won't be known for years, I like what they did to try and rebuild the team.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Thought it was a great draft.

With the first four selections they grabbed guys who I believe will contribute at some point this season and then become starters soon after.

Heck, even the final 3 rounds could bare some serious fruit.

There is a ton of potential in this years draft. Very exciting.

Legend

User Info Menu

I see Shazier eventually stepping up to be a very good ILB, but it will take him 2-3 years to get it. Dri Archer was a homerun pick, instant fan favorite. Tuitt solid starter by year 2-3. Bryant out of the league in 3 years. Shaq quality back up nickel back. McCullers, if the light ever comes on this guy could be really special...but that's a big if. Very excited about Wesley Johnson, underrated player. Zumwalt and Blanchflower both wasted picks.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

1- Shazier --takes a few years but becomes solid player for us (Timmons) Pro Bowl 2-3 years
    2-Tuitt--Solid starter for years to come Pro bowl or two
    3-Dri Archer--Fumbles and injuries does his career in early.
    4--M Bryant--Situational player...not bad in role play. Gets in trouble with the law. Steelers don't resign after 4th year.
    5-Shaq Richardson--Best CB we will have in a few years. Solid.
    5--McCullers---Cut in camp, buys his own In and Out Burger Joint.
    6--Zumwalt--Cut in camp
    6--W. Johnson--Moves to guard. Solid backup.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking at our recent draft history, if we get a couple of solid starters and a couple more steady contributors out of this draft, it will be a success.

I'm grading it a B-. Hope in 3 years, I have to rate it an "A".

Legend

User Info Menu

our draft is just as good or just as bad as the other 31 teams in the league.
    blind optimism runs rampant this time of year
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with your premise

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I think we have a draft class that is easily our best in 10 years.

1. Ryan Shazier will be very good, but not our best. Tuitt owns that in my book.

2. Dri Archer will be very good also, maybe even 2-3 pro bowls as a return man.

3. Martavis Bryant will be our best WR in 3 years time.

4. Shaq Richardson will be our best CB in 2 years time.

5. Daniel McCullers will be our NT for the next 7-10 years.

Optimism at its best, but I really like our draft overall.
    Though not necessarily the players. I think Shazier has the potential to instantly change our defense, with his 4-down utility. Tuitt has real potential to be another Richard Seymour. Not like the unrealistic potential of Bryant, who I consider to be another Fred Gibson or Sweed (hope I'm proved wrong. Maybe he'll be a 34-year old Plex, which would at least be better than the aforementioned). McCullers, I see as a nobody, and Shaq Richardson as a poorman's Lee Flowers.

The two wildcards IMO, are Archer and Zumwalt. I think Archer has the ability to single-handedly, change at least 1 game a year (over a short career. ~6 years) That may not seem like a lot, but remember that we missed the playoffs last year by just a game. Zumwalt?

It is romantic to think he becomes "the next Lambert". But I think his real value is in raising the intensity and level of competition in our defense. On draft day, I made the allusion to Jerry Olsavsky, and I stand by it. Olsavsky was a crazy-man, and I think our D used that energy, to change (from a staid D back in the 80's, to a young, active, hungry unit in '92). Zumwalt's career could mirror Jerry O's (i.e. success).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Too early to tell, we haven't even gotten into preseason yet...too hard to tell how they will be.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa