Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Days!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Happy Days!!!

Weak Points--Size, can get over powered at the point at times.

144 tackles, 102 solo tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks for 2013 in 14 games!!

This is impossible. You cannot be weak to the point where your lack of strength causes an at times weakness when you are getting to the ball carrier as many times as Ryan Shazier does. How can most not see this? How does Ryan Shazier do what he does, yet leaves this impression that he has this specific weakness? A weakness that continues to be harped on like a broken record, over and over and over? Is he like some kind of magician who fools the public into seeing something that really isn’t there? Is he a hypnotist who can control the minds of others? What is he?

I think I have the answer. It could only be that Ryan Shazier is a Super Hero. A Super Hero disguised as a mild-mannered, weak, at times liability, who will be over powered at getting to the ball carrier. It has to be! The numbers he is putting up (in regards to getting to the ball carrier), show that he is the one who is over powering the opponents blockers. And it’s kind of embarrassing what he is doing to them. He is doing it without having to over-strength them. How does he do this?

It is becoming obvious to me that he can do this because he has this Super Hero ability to fool everyone into focusing on a weakness, that really isn't weakening him. On the other hand, it seems to be weakening his opponents.

My guess is, this going to happen in the NFL as well. Many teams and professional scouts had him not even as a top 25 talent. And they base this all on this weakness that they see, yet never seems to show up on the field. And I think the magnitude of this illusion will increase to an even higher level in the NFL, a place where there they have this caveat they use all the time that goes something like, it’s different in the NFL. He won’t be able to do those things there.” And all I can say is, “cool”.

I remember when I was kid growing up in the 70’s the thing to be was “cool”. The number one television show in America was about a guy who was the epitome of cool. A guy who initially was a secondary character on the show, but fast became the shows lead. This character was one Arthur Fonzarelli. Aka the “Fonz”, and the television show was called “Happy Days”. Every kid (young boy/teenager), that I knew wanted to be cool.

Today, I want to be this thing that the so-called experts call as Ryan Shazier’s weakness,, “Over powered at the point at times.” Man how “cool” would that be? Ryan Shazier is a new kind of Super Hero. A Super Hero who is seen as small and weak yet is a dominating force on a football field. One that has no problem at all getting to the ball carrier. And one who does so at a elite level, yet somewhat over-looked and not seen for what he actually is. But every Super Hero has to have a disguise. Love it !!

I may be changing my username here. Something like, “Over powered at the point at times.” Hmmmmm?

Sunday, Monday, Happy Days,
    Tuesday, Wednesday, Happy Days,
    Thursday, Friday, Happy Days,
    The weekend comes, the cycle hums
    Ready to race to you

These days are ours
    Happy and free. (Oh Happy Days)
    These days are ours
    Share them with me.(Oh Happy Days)

Goodbye grey sky, hello blue,
    'cause nothing can hold me when I hold you.
    feels so right it can't be wrong,
    rockin' and rollin' all week long.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

only exception... if he's making a lot of tackles 5 yards downfield... Larry Foote's last year comes to mind. Hoping that's not the case...

Here's to hoping Sean Spence is healthy and we have a OUTSTANDING conpetition for ILB next to Foote... I'm still pleased with the selection, though, we understand at this point, his career will be compared to Mosely's....

Let's hope he's the Jordan, not Sam Bowie...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Beats blockers with speed and quickness. Not a problem we have had MANY linebackers who thrived doing just that. Lloyd got crushed at times when linemen squared up on him many times. Still a GREAT run defender since he was too quick for them. Farrior wasnot exactly blowing linemen up either. I do agree with the premise that ANYBODY can block him because he is weak cannot be the case or he would not have been so successful.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    only exception... if he's making a lot of tackles 5 yards downfield... Larry Foote's last year comes to mind. Hoping that's not the case...

Here's to hoping Sean Spence is healthy and we have a OUTSTANDING conpetition for ILB next to Foote... I'm still pleased with the selection, though, we understand at this point, his career will be compared to Mosely's....

20 plus tackles behind the LOS TWICE. Mosely could not manage 10 last year.

Look at leaders in that category, or any category you can't even find Mosley.

Our guy is among the leaders in EVERY category of tackles.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post

Please see Lemmings response to his tackles for loss. This Cat is not the exception you bring up. Also, 7 sacks coming from inside, 7 yards off the LOS, right in front of the QB, is freakish.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hear ya... Often (not always) guys with speed tend to run around blockers instead of stack and shed.

I didn't watch OSU once this year (not sure how that happened), so I'm trusting the FO (and you guys) on this one. I DID watch Mosely and he's solid and packed enough weight in the rear end to fill holes AT the LOS. Like you say all the experts say Shazier can't. I hope you're right and their wrong!
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Who were the biggest backs RS faced last year, and what happened when they met head on? I have seen lots of vids of him slamming smaller players to the ground, but have yet to see what happened if he met a 235 lb back heading north and south. My guess is Pgh believes in today's game you need LBs who can cover, more than you need pluggers. The days of Kirkland (who could cover early in his career before he got 80 lbs overweight for the position), Earl Holmes and Vince Williams are over.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems like the kid is the linebacker version of Troy in terms of being able to make tackles for loss that your mind tells you that a typical football player should not be able to make. A Polamaluesque "where the [EMAIL="#&@%"]#&@%[/EMAIL] did he come from so fast?" reaction from fans and opponents and teammates and announcers, etc.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    ......but have yet to see what happened if he met a 235 lb back heading north and south.
    In today's NFL how often does that actually happen, where a 235 plus RB goes head up with an ILB?

Not very often.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Beats blockers with speed and quickness. Not a problem we have had MANY linebackers who thrived doing just that. Lloyd got crushed at times when linemen squared up on him many times. Still a GREAT run defender since he was too quick for them. Farrior wasnot exactly blowing linemen up either. I do agree with the premise that ANYBODY can block him because he is weak cannot be the case or he would not have been so successful.
    Basically, Dubs is talking out his azz. He knows best. Shazier doesn't beat people with power, he beats them with speed and slicing through blockers much like Troy. He reminds me alot of Troy. And when Troy played LBr what happened? Shazier in college was Troy without the coverage ability. He will have to get stronger no doubt in my mind. He will have to maintain his weight throughout a long grueling season.

Shazier has the ability to be very special, but he will need work. He has relied too long on being the fastest guy on the field.
    Trolls are people too.