Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A potential concern: Haley has new toy to increase dink plays

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A potential concern: Haley has new toy to increase dink plays

I am liking the Dri pick more as time goes on. But I do have a concern: Now that Haley has his little speed toy, will we see too much an increase in the dink and dunk plays, which limit the amount of plays Ben can "make things happen" which is pretty much most of our productive plays?

When things are called by Haley the last two years, so many plays are wasted. It seemed to handcuff Ben way too much. Really, the only time we have gotten scoring production is when Ben goes no huddle and calls his own plays to some degree. With Haley calling plays, and with his new toy, I fear we will go back to way too much of runs up the middle that don't work and gadget, dink and dunk plays. It is a legit fear. Come to think of it: How productive was Haley's offense when he was calling the shots in KC? Haley's offenses feel like pulling teeth. Let's not forget: The Steelers didn't come to life under Haley's typical offense; we didn't get anything going until they switched to Ben going no huddle, which has far less dinking and dunking and wasting of downs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I am liking the Dri pick more as time goes on. But I do have a concern: Now that Haley has his little speed toy, will we see too much an increase in the dink and dunk plays, which limit the amount of plays Ben can "make things happen" which is pretty much most of our productive plays?

When things are called by Haley the last two years, so many plays are wasted. It seemed to handcuff Ben way too much. Really, the only time we have gotten scoring production is when Ben goes no huddle and calls his own plays to some degree. With Haley calling plays, and with his new toy, I fear we will go back to way too much of runs up the middle that don't work and gadget, dink and dunk plays. It is a legit fear. Come to think of it: How productive was Haley's offense when he was calling the shots in KC? Haley's offenses feel like pulling teeth. Let's not forget: The Steelers didn't come to life under Haley's typical offense; we didn't get anything going until they switched to Ben going no huddle, which has far less dinking and dunking and wasting of downs.
    Start a blog and leave the board. The dink plays kept Ben clean and that's most important. He can dink all he wants to archer if archer is going to pick up 10 yards every time he does. You need a hobby, maybe fox news is hiring a sports analyst.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not concerned that having Dri Archer on the team is going to lead to too much "dink and dunk." While I disagree with sick beats on that point, I'm not about to tell him he has no place here because of his opinion (however misguided it may be). If you don't like another poster's opinion, you can refute it or just ignore it, but the last thing we need here, IMO, is to start telling other fans to leave on that basis.

Legend

User Info Menu

oh... that was an N... nevermind... nothing to see here
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Start a blog and leave the board..
    How about "make me." I am allowed to express my opinions; I don't need approval from you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I'm not concerned that having Dri Archer on the team is going to lead to too much "dink and dunk." While I disagree with sick beats on that point, I'm not about to tell him he has no place here because of his opinion (however misguided it may be). If you don't like another poster's opinion, you can refute it or just ignore it, but the last thing we need here, IMO, is to start telling other fans to leave on that basis.
    A lot of people post their opinions. Its what you do on a message board. However a select few flood this board with endless amounts of bullsh#t. Sick beats is one of those people. Why not post his rant on this horrible new toy in the already existing DRI archer thread. He needed his grandstand. Boards like this get quickly ruined by those that endless rant and rave in mindless fashion. Beats you just need to tone it down. Otherwise as I said start a damn blog.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Thank you BHD. I have no problem with you not agreeing with me on my concerns. And I won't tell you to "leave the board" if you express opinions that I do not agree with. It's all good. Differences of opinions is what makes the world go round. But back to the point, I just know Haley is going to call way more dink plays with Dri and that would be OK unless it leaves Ben in only obvious passing downs to complete passes. The offense has sucked when they have done that the last 2 years. If you don't allow Ben to open up, you are taking away his biggest strength. If every time Ben drops back, it's an obvious passing play, it just handcuffs him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    A lot of people post their opinions. Its what you do on a message board. However a select few flood this board with endless amounts of bullsh#t. Sick beats is one of those people. Why not post his rant on this horrible new toy in the already existing DRI archer thread. He needed his grandstand. Boards like this get quickly ruined by those that endless rant and rave in mindless fashion. Beats you just need to tone it down. Otherwise as I said start a damn blog.
    This was definitely a separate subject of Dri in itself. This had to do with, specifically, how his presence will effect how Haley play calls. That is a totally separate subject than Dri as a player and draft pick. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I just know Haley is going to call way more dink plays with Dri and that would be OK unless it leaves Ben in only obvious passing downs to complete passes. The offense has sucked when they have done that the last 2 years. If you don't allow Ben to open up, you are taking away his biggest strength. If every time Ben drops back, it's an obvious passing play, it just handcuffs him.
    perhaps the threat of Dri Archer out of the backfield running underneath routes will force defenders not to drop so deep into coverage and thus open deeper passing lanes for Ben...

Legend

User Info Menu

i love the dink and dunk stuff. high percentage, keeps the chains moving, keeps ben healthy, makes up for our sh!tty line and nothing pisses me off more than when we allow a rb to slip out of the backfield for a little swing pass with only a slow lb trying to cover them. i want us to do that to other teams
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown