Thread: Steelers believe Shazier fills a need

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers believe Shazier fills a need

Steelers believe Shazier fills a need

Posted May 8, 2014
    Bob Labriola
    Steelers.com

No. 1 pick Ryan Shazier, an ILB, has run a 4.38 in the 40-yard dash.

As the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft worked its way through the top 10 picks, there weren’t any real surprises, any uh-oh moments. There had been one quarterback picked – Blake Bortles by Jacksonville third overall – and the rest of the names coming off the board at the top of the round largely were the names expected to come off the board at the top of the round.

Yes, maybe Anthony Barr going ninth overall to the Vikings was a little sooner than expected, but it made a lot more sense when viewed through the prism of Minnesota’s new coach being Mike Zimmer, who used athletes similar to Barr with great success when he was the defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals.

When the evening began, most Steelers fans were hoping for the team to pick one of the top prospects at cornerback at No. 15, and after the St. Louis Rams selected defensive tackle Aaron Donald at No. 13, it seemed as though they would get their wish. At least, that’s what Jerry Jones and the rest of the Dallas Cowboys brain trust figured.

After Donald was picked, there were two of the top three cornerbacks still available – Kyle Fuller and Darqueze Dennard – and even if the Chicago Bears decided on a cornerback that still would leave the Steelers with the one they didn’t pick.

The Bears in fact selected Fuller at No. 14, and that’s when the Cowboys, picking after the Steelers at No. 16, had their representatives in Radio City Music Hall write a name on an index card and prepare to turn it in to the Commissioner.

The name on that card was Ryan Shazier, and the Cowboys began congratulating themselves on their good fortune. Their joy would turn to stunned silence moments later when Roger Goodell walked to the podium and announced the Steelers’ pick. The name on that card was Ryan Shazier, as well.

“We’re very excited to be able to announce another No. 1 draft pick, Ryan Shazier, inside linebacker, Ohio State,” said General Manager Kevin Colbert. “If you look over Ryan’s career, three years at Ohio State, each and every year his production increased. His biggest asset, aside from his youth, is his speed. This guy can flat out run. The thing that really attracts you to him from a defensive standpoint against today’s offenses is the offenses continue to spread out, and you need speed. You need speed at linebacker, in your secondary. You need speed everywhere.”

Shazier will provide speed, and in a dynamic fashion for an inside linebacker. At 6-foot-1, 237 pounds, Shazier has run a 4.38 in the 40-yard dash, and for comparison’s sake understand that Sammy Watkins, the consensus No. 1 wide receiver in this draft, ran a 4.43. The Steelers’ time on Shazier was 4.40.

Throughout the process, Colbert talked about picking the best player available as opposed to drafting to fill a need, and that’s precisely what the Steelers believe they did with Shazier. Coach Mike Tomlin, though, believes Shazier also fills a need.

“What we needed was a defensive playmaker,” said Tomlin, “and he fits the bill in that regard. Not only in terms of his skill-set but in terms of what he did there on the field. Highly productive football player, over 100 tackles the last two years. He gets after the quarterback, he’s rushed the passer, and he makes plays in coverage as well. That’s what he is, he’s a defensive playmaker. Bigger than position needs, what we needed was a defensive playmaker.”

There can be little argument about that, especially based on the 2013 season. Last season, the Steelers had 20 takeaways to rank tied-for-28th in the NFL; their 10 interceptions was tied-for-29th; and their 34 sacks was tied-for-25th.

“Obviously, we’re always very comfortable looking at Ohio State defensive tape, and they asked him to do a lot of similar things that we could envision asking him to do,” said Tomlin. “In their base defense, he played inside and in sub-package football, he got after the quarterback quite a bit. He’s a guy who will be on his feet, making sideline-to-sideline tackles associated with today’s football.”

One of the goals of this offseason was for the Steelers to get younger and faster on defense, and also to add people who are playmakers, whether those plays are made attacking the backfield or after the ball is thrown. To explain how Shazier might be used, figure on him lining up as the weakside inside linebacker, sort of the position James Farrior played.

“When you watch (Shazier) he’s an easy evaluation,” said Colbert. “Just that burst, it’s unique. He’s going to grow, he has to get stronger, he’s going to have to get bigger. There are some big guys who will get on him on occasion, but usually he figures it out and he’ll go make another play. You have to put the blinders on to the need word, and in this case as (Tomlin) said, we need defensive playmakers. He’s a defensive playmaker."

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-believe-Shazier-fills-a-need/b2645266-bf8b-4524-87a6-f668b0338690[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Fair pre-draft analysis??:

Strong Points – Excellent athlete with speed, instinctive, physical, productive, defense run, pass drop and coverage, tackle, very competitive

Weak Points – Size, can get over powered at the point at times

2013 Stats - 143 total tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss, six sacks, four forced fumbles

Summation- Shazier is a third-year junior who is entering the Draft. He has been a starter at Ohio State since the latter part of his freshman season in 2011. He has been very productive, but I don’t see the same tackle production on tape that the Ohio State shows in its stats. I charted four games, and there are plays he gets credit for when he is the third guy in on a tackle.

Shazier does not have a typical linebacker's frame. He looks more the part of a big strong safety. He is lean with very long arms. While he has good overall strength, he is more explosive than strong. This will show, at times, when he has to take on big offensive linemen at the point of attack. He is better at slipping blocks than taking on and shedding, but he still has quick hands and does a good overall job.

Shazier has very good instincts and a nose for the ball. He anticipates very well and is a quick reactor. With his speed, athleticism, and competitiveness, he finds a way to get to the ball. He gets his high number of tackles for loss because he can shoot a gap before a blocker can get on him. While he is good versus the inside run, he is excellent versus the outside run. He takes very good pursuit angles and has great speed for a linebacker.

Despite not having top size, Shazier is a very good blitzer. He has a knack for finding an opening and does an excellent job timing his blitzes. He has an excellent burst coming off a block to close and is very aggressive.

Ryan is also very good in coverage. With his speed and athleticism, he matches up well versus backs and tight ends. He has the suddenness to play man and is alert in zone. His ball skills are good.

Overall, Shazier best fits a 4-3 team as a Will linebacker. In a Tampa-2 type scheme, he can be a future All Pro. He needs to gain some bulk and learn how to shed lineman a little better. At this time, I don’t see him as a good fit to play in a 3-4. He just doesn’t have the bulk that most 3-4 teams are looking for. He is a probable first round pick.

Grade A 6.7

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds fair...and highlights some reasons for concern.

At this point, I could bring up the possibility of switching to the 4-3...but nothing else the Steelers have done seems to be pointing in that direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

The point about him having a faster 40 time than Sammy Watkins was interesting...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I saw on NFL Network they were saying that safety and LB coaches were fighting over who should get RS....that tells me he is as small as I have been saying. Why would a safety coach want a ILB? This dude will get washed out at ILB. Think of good ILBs in the NFL....are they as small as this guy?

[URL="http://theozone.net/football/2012/FallCamp/shazier.jpg"]http://theozone.net/football/2012/FallCamp/shazier.jpg[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I saw on NFL Network they were saying that safety and LB coaches were fighting over who should get RS....that tells me he is as small as I have been saying. Why would a safety coach want a ILB? This dude will get washed out at ILB. Think of good ILBs in the NFL....are they as small as this guy?

[URL]http://theozone.net/football/2012/FallCamp/shazier.jpg[/URL]
    Brian Urlacher played safety in college and transitioned to LB in the NFL.

Carnell Lake played LB in college and transitioned to safety in the NFL.

Both were drafted with premium selections (Urlacher 9th overall, Lake 34th overall) and went on to have successful NFL careers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://theozone.net/football/2012/FallCamp/shazier.jpg[/URL]
    I think he looked plenty big and plenty fast to me at his Pro Day. Michael Irvin was practically drooling all over himself when he watched him run the 40 shirtless. He gained weight prior to the combine, bringing him up to 237 there, but it does not appear that a single ounce of that extra weight is fat.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Brian Urlacher played safety in college and transitioned to LB in the NFL.

Carnell Lake played LB in college and transitioned to safety in the NFL.

Both were drafted with premium selections (Urlacher 9th overall, Lake 34th overall) and went on to have successful NFL careers.
    Urlacher was a freak - huge and fast. He wasn't playing college ball at 210 lbs. Lake couldn't be a more prototypical NFL safety. I don't see how either are examples of how RS is big enough to play ILB in the NFL.

[URL="http://theozone.net/football/2013/MSU/shazier.jpg"]http://theozone.net/football/2013/MSU/shazier.jpg[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Urlacher was a freak - huge and fast. He wasn't playing college ball at 210 lbs. Lake couldn't be a more prototypical NFL safety. I don't see how either are examples of how RS is big enough to play ILB in the NFL.
    James Farrior - 6' 2"- 243 lbs
    Lawrence Timmons - 6' 1" - 234 lbs
    Larry Foote - 6' 1" - 239 lbs

Ryan Shazier - 6' 1" - 237 lbs

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    James Farrior - 6' 2"- 243 lbs
    Lawrence Timmons - 6' 1" - 234 lbs
    Larry Foote - 6' 1" - 239 lbs

Ryan Shazier - 6' 1" - 237 lbs

Add in " Hardy Nickerson "...6ft 2 - 230Lbs