Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the more intriguing draft picks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One of the more intriguing draft picks.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/daniel-mccullers?id=2543754[/url]

This McCullers fellow.

He is massive, massive, massive.

And he has oak trees for arms.

If there was ever a guy built to clog up the middle, it is this guy. He reminds me of Sam Adams.

The only knock on him is technique. It looks like physically, he should dominate at NT. If it's as simple as just teaching him to keep his pads lower, he might be the steal of our draft this year. It's more than time for us to get lucky with some later picks. We really haven't landed much on day 3 for a long time. A few, but very few. We need this guy, the CB and WR to come through, which I doubt all three will. Maybe the OT too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i guess you missed the thread titled "McCullers"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    i guess you missed the thread titled "McCullers"
    Yes, I did. Are you going to throw a tantrum over it? Sh-t your pants? Let me know the outcome. The next time you post valuable content will be your first.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I won't hold my breath for McCullers.

This is not some guy from a: questionable level of competition or, an injury question mark, or anything else. He played in a competitive conference, he was durable, and--he's 6-6, 340+, and can move pretty well for his size. I'm not saying he can't emerge into a force, but for a guy with that background and have 32 teams with professional talent evaluators pass on him for five rounds, it says something.

For all his physical ability, he must lack testicular fortitude.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

This is not some guy from a: questionable level of competition or, an injury question mark, or anything else. He played in a competitive conference, he was durable, and--he's 6-6, 340+, and can move pretty well for his size. I'm not saying he can't emerge into a force, but for a guy with that background and have 32 teams with professional talent evaluators pass on him for five rounds, it says something.

You may be right, but you never know when a player might have a light turn on in their head. Leon Lett wasn't drafted until the 7th round, and he ended up being a fantastic DT. Gilbert Brown last until the 3rd round. Maybe after this guy is directly playing for his money, he will grind it out more. In college, he wasn't directly playing for $, just possible future $. But I know you are right about one thing: If you lack the testicular fortitude and fire in the belly, you can't succeed at football on the NFL level.

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers have already said that they want McCullers to drop at least 25 more pounds by Camp. They want him at 325 to 330 Max. So they can play and move him all around the Line.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Yes, I did. Are you going to throw a tantrum over it? Sh-t your pants? Let me know the outcome. The next time you post valuable content will be your first.
    Over-react much ?

Legend

User Info Menu

"professional evaluators" miss all the time, and in the lower rounds it gets worse.

walterfootball suggests the 'hit rate' for 2nd rd talent is right at 50% over the last 10 yrs. In otherwords, it's no better than a coinflip. This suggests that later rounds would be even more spotty....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    "professional evaluators" miss all the time, and in the lower rounds it gets worse.

walterfootball suggests the 'hit rate' for 2nd rd talent is right at 50% over the last 10 yrs. In otherwords, it's no better than a coinflip. This suggests that later rounds would be even more spotty....
    follow-up: walterfootball suggests the 'hit rate' in rd. 1 is only slightly better than a coinflip, with 54% making a difference in the NFL.

Starter

User Info Menu

One of the things I heard about McCullers and his draft position is that in today's NFL he is truly only a 2 down guy. Kiper said that if this was 1994 he'd be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

If you're going to pick a potential true NT for a 3/4 defense, a 6th rounder is virtually no risk for a guy this big.