Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is NOT America!!

Backup

User Info Menu

This is NOT America!!

Okay, so somebody has to be the bad guy here, I mean besides " Sick beats " ( Just kidding )....but, this is NOT the America I remember. And it is not the America I put my life on the line for either. I understand that he should have maybe known better, and that he may have been called out publically. But, to be fines and suspended for just conveying ones OPINIONS is...well...NOY AMERICAN!!

[url]https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/dolphins-fine-and-suspend-player-for-tweeting-negative-comment-about-michael-sam-025704270.html[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's worse than that. They can ban a person from playing (i.e.. their livelihood) if they determine a person used substances like marijuana. WTF kind of big brother state is that? Next they'll be demanding we all kneel in cowering homage to their god Lenin during the 7th inning stretch!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    It's worse than that. They can ban a person from playing (i.e.. their livelihood) if they determine a person used substances like marijuana. WTF kind of big brother state is that? Next they'll be demanding we all kneel in cowering homage to their god Lenin during the 7th inning stretch!

The use of a drug that is Illegal in 99 % of the US, and the usage of FREE SPEECH are totally different. I mean it's not like Jones used the F word, or said F shouldn't be in the league. He tweeted the word Horrible as a response to the constant showing of Sam kissing his partner. Hell I to found it to be offensive after the first, 10-12 kisses. And I would have as well if it would have been Johnny Manziel smooching his Girl that many times.

If the Public wants to criticize Jones for what he tweeted with their own tweets or words...Fine. That is OUR Right to do so. But to fine a player and suspend him for exercising their constitutional rights of free expression is NOT American!

Legend

User Info Menu

Here, here Rashard Mende...oh, wait...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    The use of a drug that is Illegal in 99 % of the US, and the usage of FREE SPEECH are totally different. I mean it's not like Jones used the F word, or said F shouldn't be in the league. He tweeted the word Horrible as a response to the constant showing of Sam kissing his partner. Hell I to found it to be offensive after the first, 10-12 kisses. And I would have as well if it would have been Johnny Manziel smooching his Girl that many times.

If the Public wants to criticize Jones for what he tweeted with their own tweets or words...Fine. That is OUR Right to do so. But to fine a player and suspend him for exercising their constitutional rights of free expression is NOT American!
    A company has every right to suspend an employee for conduct, including comments made on social media, that the company feels is unbecoming...

He should have known better...

Legend

User Info Menu

My understanding is that free speech protects you from persecution from the government.

The player used his right of free speech to say what he wanted. He was not arrested for it.

His employer has a right to protect their image. They levied a fine to show that they wanted to foster a culture of inclusion.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    My understanding is that free speech protects you from persecution from the government.

The player used his right of free speech to say what he wanted. He was not arrested for it.

His employer has a right to protect their image. They levied a fine to show that they wanted to foster a culture of inclusion.
    This is accurate. You have the right to say whatever you want. You don't have the right to be treated the same after you have said it. Not saying I agree with the original reason for the statement, just the free speech argument.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You can say whatever you want, just be prepared to accept any consequences. Ruthless math...NFL Player + Twitter = Trainwreck
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly, if I get up on FB and start talking trash about the gay population I too would be suspended and most likely fired.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So what's going to happen to the FL State player who publicly noted that Sam is getting praised for being gay while Tebow was scorned (by all the avant garde) for being Christian? Re-education camp?