Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Steelers fans think about the NFL International games in London?

Rookie

User Info Menu

What do Steelers fans think about the NFL International games in London?

Greetings all,

I am an Englishman, trying valiantly to learn and appreciate football, as you guys call it

My primary sport is soccer; my team is Southampton FC (the 'Saints') so I would like to get a general feeling for how die-hard football fans view the NFL's drive to promote the sport overseas, particularly in London.

Do you guys approve of the idea to hold a game from the regular season overseas? Or not?

If the English Premier League decided to hold a Saints game in Pittsburgh I got to tell you, I would be in two minds. Sure, there is the revenue aspect, but then there is just the huge cringe factor of seeing so-called 'fans' supporting a team from a city - indeed a country - that they have no connection to whatsoever.

For what it is worth, I will be cheering on the Steelers when you play the Vikings in London in a few days. If for no other reason that I have actually been to Pittsburgh but I couldn't even find Minnesota on a map!

Be interested to hear your thoughts on these international games.

cheers fellas,
    Hugh

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers are a worldwide phenomenon. As long as we don't lose a home game (Vikings lost one for this), I don't care where they play since I watch on TV anyway. I was in London two weeks ago and would have loved if the game was then.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

i just feel bad you are getting 2 0-3 teams playing there. i think its great. london is an awesome city. but i do think that the locals might enjoy an NFL game about as much as we'd be interested in a soccer match in the US. curious, is there much interest in the NFL over there? i've never talked american football with any of my british friends.

Legend

User Info Menu

In the NFL each team gets a "bye" week on their schedule, which means they don't play a game, it's a chance to get injuries healed, relax with family, etc before you get back to the grind of the season. As long as the teams that play in London have their "bye" week following the game, I'm fine with playing London, Munich, Barcelona, or wherever. This gives the teams a chance to recover from the game and the travel and be fresh for their next game.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    i just feel bad you are getting 2 0-3 teams playing there. i think its great. london is an awesome city. but i do think that the locals might enjoy an NFL game about as much as we'd be interested in a soccer match in the US. curious, is there much interest in the NFL over there? i've never talked american football with any of my british friends.

Flip--some of us Americans love soccer and would go to matches here in the US. Not as much as football (US) but if you just let yourself learn the game and understand it you would be amazed how entertaining it is to watch.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    There is huge interest in the NFL. The Steelers v Vikings game at Wembley sold out (90,000 tickets) in 4 hours. Most of those attending will almost certainly not know the rules of the game completely like you guys, but anything glitzy and American tends to sell well in London!

Also, the BBC have the rights to screen the Super Bowls live and baring in mind that the coverage starts at 11pm British time and ends at about 4am on what is then a Monday morning would you be amazed to learn that over 4 million people watched at least up to half time?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Flip--some of us Americans love soccer and would go to matches here in the US. Not as much as football (US) but if you just let yourself learn the game and understand it you would be amazed how entertaining it is to watch.
    On Sunday evening I watched the following games live from my sitting room here in England:

Manchester City v Manchester United
    AC Milan v Napoli
    PSG (Paris) v Monaco
    and then to cap it off...
    NY Red Bulls v Dallas something-or-otherems

It is exciting to be able to watch live sport where ever it happens in the world. A lot of American soccer players play in the English leagues.

We get a good and growing NFL live games too. Just wish the broadcasters would spend 30 minutes focussing on the British audience who don't know much about the game rules. That is always going to be the critical-mass-point, everyone will watch something once especially if it is a glitzy spectacle but to get them hooked they need to be spoon-fed the rules and history of the game.

Rookie

User Info Menu

What is a 0-3 team? Why is it bad that both teams playing in London are 0-3 teams?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I like soccer and have been to a few matches. But the ones I've gone to in the US, the fans seemed about as into the game as a minor league baseball game. For some reason, it just doesn't seem to be a sport that Americans (the masses) are into. I'd go to an EPL match if one came to my town for sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

First of all - are the Saints going to take care of business against Crystal Palace this weekend, a team that just moved up to the Premier League.

0-3 is the wins and losses record. So both the Steelers and Vikings have 0 wins and 3 losses.

And Flippy - the Premier League is on all the time here in the US. Starting 2 years ago I would be up with my newborn (now 2.5) at an unholy hour on Saturday mornings and always appreciated there being a game on. Used to start as early as 7:30 am. I still watch Saturday mornings. And NBC Sports and Fox Soccer Network also both routinely play the Premiere games in HD. If you can get past the diving and low scoring, it really rather amazing the level of athlete and the insane skill they posses.