Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Martavis Bryant could start for Steelers as a rookie

Pro Bowler
    Was not a fan of Abberderis.

Landry was a good player, i think they only were really interesed in Beckham though...Landry was basically a clone of Cotchery

Height is very overrated for a WR, until it isnt...they are few and far in between but the best WRs tend to be the taller ones, but the vast majority of tall WRs suck complete ass

I cant complain because of my massive man crush on Tuitt, after round 2 the WRs i thought were ready to contribute were gone...because after Lee and Jordan Matthews it was Robinson, Moncrief, Landry, Devante Adams and maybe Latimer...but all went between Tuitt and Archer.

Bryant was probably the best pick if they were hell bent on taking a WR...I would have been between Bryant, Shembo, Aaron Lynch and Webster....a WR and 3 OLBs (since we took Tuitt i wouldnt go after Brent Urban)

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Was not a fan of Abberderis.

Landry was a good player, i think they only were really interesed in Beckham though...Landry was basically a clone of Cotchery

Height is very overrated for a WR, until it isnt...they are few and far in between but the best WRs tend to be the taller ones, but the vast majority of tall WRs suck complete ass
    The concept of drafting tall WR's kind of reminds me of how NBA teams used to drool over getting a 7 foot center. Every so often a team might get lucky and draft a perennial all-star like a Shaq or a Patrick Ewing but most of the time they ended up with a Benoit Benjamin or a Greg Ostertag.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Who is whining? Really? To say he isn't going to be starter material this season...as stated in the title is now whining in your book. Dude you need to relax.
    Umm.. I think YOU need to relax. One word shouldn't get your panties in a bunch...

My comment isn't directed at those who said he wouldn't start, it's directed at those who said he was undraftable or said he sucks.

..and for the record the title said he "could" start, it didn't say he WOULD start. God forbid Steeler fans have high hopes for a 4th round draft pick.

How dare we..lol.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 08-12-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Legend
    Obviously it's merely my opinion after seeing both play...and film on both. Abberderis was a complete WR...Bryant is a fast basketball player. Abberderis with near perfect hands and route running. Bryant...is fast and tall. Doesn't mean that Bryant doesn't have a huge ceiling but he isn't close to ready. Jarvis Landry MUCH better than Bryant. I just don't like the whole we need to draft a tall WR mentality. If we needed a WR, I think you go with the most complete product.
    Why did dude last til the 5th if he was a "complete WR?"

Again, we drafted Bryant in the 4th, if we needed a tall WR we would have picked up Kelvin Benjamin in the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Again, we drafted Bryant in the 4th, if we needed a tall WR we would have picked up Kelvin Benjamin in the 1st.
    Do you consider Antonio Brown a complete WR? Lets see if I can understand your logic...if they are drafted in later rounds they can't be good players...and if they are drafted earlier they can be good players. I watched Abberderis...and was fully aware of his skill set long before draft scouts put out their reports. He does everything well. He was the best route runner in the draft...not just verified by me but by many scouts. He has terrific hands. He is tough and willing to go over the middle. The best thing? He was productive at the college level and had his best game against a guy at one point to be the best DB in college football. Why he lasted until the 5th is anyones guess but the scouts agreed...he was a solid talent. The issue was likely revolving around the guy not having a tremendously high ceiling. He didn't run a 4.4...he isn't 6 foot 4. He is a technician who moves chains...lunch pail get you big first downs but isn't a clear number 1 due to a lack of overwhelming physical skills. He would have made the GB team as the 5th WR and groomed. GB has a knack for picking those WR gems.

Pro Bowler
    Do you consider Antonio Brown a complete WR? Lets see if I can understand your logic...if they are drafted in later rounds they can't be good players...and if they are drafted earlier they can be good players. I watched Abberderis...and was fully aware of his skill set long before draft scouts put out their reports. He does everything well. He was the best route runner in the draft...not just verified by me but by many scouts. He has terrific hands. He is tough and willing to go over the middle. The best thing? He was productive at the college level and had his best game against a guy at one point to be the best DB in college football. Why he lasted until the 5th is anyones guess but the scouts agreed...he was a solid talent. The issue was likely revolving around the guy not having a tremendously high ceiling. He didn't run a 4.4...he isn't 6 foot 4. He is a technician who moves chains...lunch pail get you big first downs but isn't a clear number 1 due to a lack of overwhelming physical skills. He would have made the GB team as the 5th WR and groomed. GB has a knack for picking those WR gems.
    Hes ok...he did school roby all day but hes an ok player

The thing about the packers is not the knack for picking up WRs...well to some extent it is, they do develop these guys but many of them are products of aaron rodgers and the passing system as a whole.

The keep drafting the Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelsons, Randal CObbs, Devante Adams, Jared Abberderis's of the world so when the Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelsons, Randal Cobbs, Devante Adams, Jared Abberderis's want $10 million a year they can tell them to go **** themselves.

Steelers arent much different, Antonio Brown is good, Wallace was good, Holmes was good....but they leave the franchise QB that made them great and they become painfully average (Brown MAY be an exception considering his work ethic is off the charts).

Soooooo I guess what I am saying is Abberderis may be the type of guy thats good in certain situations, but not all. Bryant was more of a swing for the fences guy rather than going steady and average. Bryant will never be average, he will be great or he will completely suck

Pro Bowler
    Umm.. I think YOU need to relax. One word shouldn't get your panties in a bunch...

My comment isn't directed at those who said he wouldn't start, it's directed at those who said he was undraftable or said he sucks.

..and for the record the title said he "could" start, it didn't say he WOULD start. God forbid Steeler fans have high hopes for a 4th round draft pick.

How dare we..lol.
    I think even asserting he _could_ start is pretty loco. He is beyond raw, and even highly regarded (and he's not) rookie WRs rarely deserve to start. Mostly, only 1st rounders are even _considered_ as possible starters.

Pro Bowler

BTW, Benji already looks good; made a super TD catch last week.

Legend
    I didn't consider Brown a complete WR when we drafted him.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    BTW, Benji already looks good; made a super TD catch last week.
    I live in Charlotte, its about to get real interesting in the NFC South.