Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 356

Thread: Martavis Bryant could start for Steelers as a rookie

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I'm not seeing it. I think Bryant is a situational player this season.
    I think that is probably correct, but he could end up being a nice weapon as a situational player. Think Mike Wallace as a rookie, or Nate Washington late in his first and throughout his second season. Let this kid get some experience with limited responsibilities as a deep threat and red zone target and then work him into the lineup from there.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    294
    My two pennies on Bryant is this.....do NOT sit on your Laurels young man. No, I do not feel Bryant will start. But I can...with some hard work be a factor for us in speciality situations. But EFFORT...effort will tell the tale as to whether Bryant becomes MAYBE the next....AJ Green ?...or if he does not work hard...becomes the next " Jon Baldwin " And the Pittsburgh area fans remember him right ? I mean Baldwin was in a lot of ways is simular to Bryant. I mean Baldwin was a little bigger, and not quite as fast, but their measureables were close. And Baldwin was a 1st rounder just in 2011...and now after 3 seasons, most likely he will be Cut from the 49ers.


    That's how easy one can go from the Penthouse to the.....well you know where. So yes I am very optimistic on the talents and pedigree of Martavis Bryant. But if I were a Pittsburgh Coach, I might show him the tape and History of Jon Baldwin...someone who ALSO was dubbed with Immaturity Issues....and look where it got him. Only difference between Bryant and Baldwin is.....Baldwin at least got that bigger 1st round signing bonus.


    So All I will say is.....WORK young man....work hard and learn from those who know!!

  3. #23
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,451
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    My two pennies on Bryant is this.....do NOT sit on your Laurels young man. No, I do not feel Bryant will start. But I can...with some hard work be a factor for us in speciality situations. But EFFORT...effort will tell the tale as to whether Bryant becomes MAYBE the next....AJ Green ?...or if he does not work hard...becomes the next " Jon Baldwin " And the Pittsburgh area fans remember him right ? I mean Baldwin was in a lot of ways is simular to Bryant. I mean Baldwin was a little bigger, and not quite as fast, but their measureables were close. And Baldwin was a 1st rounder just in 2011...and now after 3 seasons, most likely he will be Cut from the 49ers.


    That's how easy one can go from the Penthouse to the.....well you know where. So yes I am very optimistic on the talents and pedigree of Martavis Bryant. But if I were a Pittsburgh Coach, I might show him the tape and History of Jon Baldwin...someone who ALSO was dubbed with Immaturity Issues....and look where it got him. Only difference between Bryant and Baldwin is.....Baldwin at least got that bigger 1st round signing bonus.


    So All I will say is.....WORK young man....work hard and learn from those who know!!
    If Martavis Bryant attaches himself to Antonio Brown's hip and works like Brown works, there is no ceiling for what he could be capable of.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If Martavis Bryant attaches himself to Antonio Brown's hip and works like Brown works, there is no ceiling for what he could be capable of.
    I would also love to see Richardson staple himself to Ike...

    Heyward worked with Ta'amu...it didn't work out here for him, but he may be good for McCullers...or even Tuitt...

  5. #25
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yeah, I'm not seeing it. I think Bryant is a situational player this season.
    At most. No way will he be a starter. Sounds like he needs to grow up first. Super!

  6. #26
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,181
    Martavis Bryant's potential excites Steelers



    PITTSBURGH -- ESPN analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay don’t always agree when evaluating draft-eligible players. But their thinking falls along the same lines when it comes to Steelers fourth-round draft pick Martavis Bryant.

    Kiper listed the former Clemson wide receiver as one five offensive players drafted in the later rounds who could make an immediate impact in the NFL. McShay also said that Bryant has a chance to contribute early for the Steelers.

    “He does a really nice job of getting off the line and he’s a vertical route runner,” McShay said. “You’ve got a big, strong-armed quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and you want a guy that can stretch the field vertically. There’s some boom or bust there, but when you get him in the fourth round you’re not worried so much about the risk factor. If he focuses and does all the right things he could wind up being a real steal from this class.”

    The 6-foot-4, 212-pound Bryant gives the Steelers the tall wide receiver that the offense has lacked. His 40-yard dash time (4.42 seconds) at the NFL scouting combine as well as his career yards per catch (22.2) at Clemson validate his potential as a big-time deep threat.

    And he started only one season at Clemson where first-round picks DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins overshadowed Bryant, meaning he is far from a finished product -- something that should excite the Steelers’ coaches as well as challenge them.

    “He’s what I have been hunting,” Steelers wide receivers coach Richard Mann said. “Probably had he played more [at Clemson], stayed for another year, he would have been a first-rounder for sure. I think all that he needs to learn we will teach it to him.”

    Bryant slipped to the fourth round of the draft because of concerns about his maturity as well as his inconsistency as a pass-catcher. The Steelers hosted Bryant for a pre-draft visit and were comfortable enough after what they heard from him to think that he will be fine in the right environment.

    As for the drops he had in college, Mann said that is something that can be easily corrected and can probably be traced to Bryant’s hand placement or his trying to run before securing a catch.

    “He does a really good job of tracking the ball and catching it over the top,” Mann said. “A lot of times guys can’t do it and it’s very hard to teach.”

    McShay agreed that Bryant’s ball skills are undeniable.

    “He was inconsistent catching the ball but he also makes tough catches,” McShay said, “and he can adjust to the ball below his waist, over his head, behind his body.”

    It is way too premature to get overly excited about Bryant, who takes part in the Steelers' three-day rookie minicamp that starts on Friday.

    Fred Gibson, the last physically gifted wide receiver that the Steelers drafted in the fourth round (2005), didn’t even make it out of training camp. And for all of the buzz created by the second-round selection of Limas Sweed in 2008, the former Texas standout caught just seven career passes for the Steelers.

    Chronic drops were one of the reasons why the Steelers released Sweed in 2011.

    One thing that Mann won’t do is speculate on how big of a role Bryant will have in the Steelers’ offense as a rookie. But he also won’t rule out Bryant challenging for the starting job opposite Pro Bowler Antonio Brown.

    “You have to come in and work because we have other guys in the room,” Mann said. “Potentially he will be a starter, you just never know. You play the best. That’s how you win.”

    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...cites-steelers

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    If Bryant starts as a rookie, it will mean that Wheaton turned out to be a bust (or that one of the starters got injured). More likely it will play out as it says in the last sentence of the article. I'm looking forward to seeing Bryant in on Red-zone situations.
    Not really, wheaton may be better suited for the slot as I think sanders was, it was a mistake putting sanders on the outside.

  8. #28
    Would not surprise me if Bryant starts, we have a spot on the outside open and we have wheaton, Bryant, moore and dhb, Its not that unlikely he starts. Also I think Bryant is going to be a star and one of the steals of the draft.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Not really, wheaton may be better suited for the slot as I think sanders was, it was a mistake putting sanders on the outside.
    I thought the Steelers signed Lance Moore to play in the slot?

    Again, I think it's not likely that Bryant starts this season, unless there's an injury or Wheaton disappoints. Doesn't mean he can't be an effective situational player. I was not writing to put down Bryant, just to counter the original article's premise.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 05-17-2014 at 03:07 AM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I thought the Steelers signed Lance Moore to play in the slot?

    Again, I think it's not likely that Bryant starts this season, unless there's an injury or Wheaton disappoints. Doesn't mean he can't be an effective situational player. I was not writing to put down Bryant, just to counter the original article's premise.
    They did, but moore is no spring chicken. I really don't think the steelers are waiting to see if wheaton can play on the outside, I think they pretty much know and that's why they took Bryant. We need someone who can draw some coverage away from Antonio Brown and Bryant with his size is that type of guy.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 05-17-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •