Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Martavis Bryant could start for Steelers as a rookie

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The way Abberderis runs and sells his routes is one of the best I have seen come out of college in recent years. He isn't as "savvy" of course as that calls for NFL experience. But, his natural ability to run a crisp route, to sell a fake is truly awesome to watch.
    Bradley Roby agrees with you, Abberderis double-moved him to death...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Bradley Roby agrees with you, Abberderis double-moved him to death...
    Roby is considered a top college DB and he got abused. All that speed meant nothing. Honestly, he made Roby look like a pee wee leaguer. He would have had 300 yards receiving that game if the QB could have gotten him the ball on a couple of those plays.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Abberderis was drafted with the last pick of the 5th round. Something tells me that if he was viewed by people in the NFL as a better route runner than established vets like Lance Moore or Jerricho Cotchery, he'd have been picked a tad earlier.

Shawn i I know you like the guy, but c'mon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post

His highlights are not overly impressive. He isn't going to be so wide open, ever, in the NFL. And now the reports from OTAs that he is dogging it......I'm not going to hold my breath on this guy making it.
    i wonder if you understand football. With one exception (play action play), Bryant was well covered or simply outran the coverage. He shows exceptional deep speed for his size and great body control. If he doesn't beat his man with speed he out-adjusts, out-leaps, or posts up the coverage. The highlights are impressive.

Now, not on the highlights, the kid is not a great route runner yet, has some drops, and a history of maturity issues. He s not a sure thing. But, he has as much raw talent as just about any other WR to come out in the last three years.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Abberderis was drafted with the last pick of the 5th round. Something tells me that if he was viewed by people in the NFL as a better route runner than established vets like Lance Moore or Jerricho Cotchery, he'd have been picked a tad earlier.

Shawn i I know you like the guy, but c'mon.
    I won't convince anyone, but his play will. All I will say it is this...watch and see.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    i wonder if you understand football. With one exception (play action play), Bryant was well covered or simply outran the coverage. He shows exceptional deep speed for his size and great body control. If he doesn't beat his man with speed he out-adjusts, out-leaps, or posts up the coverage. The highlights are impressive.

Now, not on the highlights, the kid is not a great route runner yet, has some drops, and a history of maturity issues. He s not a sure thing. But, he has as much raw talent as just about any other WR to come out in the last three years.
    Yeah, I'm not quite seeing what you are seeing here. I would have less issue if the guy was a converted basketball player in his senior year of HS. But, this guy has been playing WR for a minute and still is "raw". He does have speed and size, I do like his body control and that is where it ends. It will take MUCH growth to convince me this wasn't a throw away pick. Someone said, because Abberderis lasted to the late 5th that means he must be terrible (look at AB in the 6th). With that logic, how often do 6 foot 4 WRs that run a 4.4 last to the 4th round? Not often. The guy has serious deficits in his game. I don't think he will get separation at the next level because he lacks the technique to do so. I don't think he is agile enough to run a route that will fool anyone. So, he is at best a role player. He may learn to mask his deficits with shielding defenders. I suspect he could be a force in vertical routes and may have some nice grabs in that aspect. But, a #2 down to down kind of guy? I just don't see it. I will be VERY glad to eat crow if this guy turns out to be the next AJ Green but he has much convincing to do.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The whole concept of tall WR's is highly overrated. A team can be just as successful in the passing game with a pair of 5'11 guys in the starting lineup and an even shorter guy playing in the slot. Ben just needs to STFU about his his decade-long mancrush on tall wideouts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    The whole concept of tall WR's is highly overrated. A team can be just as successful in the passing game with a pair of 5'11 guys in the starting lineup and an even shorter guy playing in the slot. Ben just needs to STFU about his his decade-long mancrush on tall wideouts.
    I agree and disagree. When you can find a tall WR that has agility enough to run a good route and has ability to separate at the next level they can be a little extra special. Bigger target means throws don't have to be as accurate. But, big WRs take longer to develop, and IMO have a higher bust rate. I think there is a reason for that. IMO, outside of Watkins and Evans the two best WRs in this draft are Jarvis Landry and Abberderis. When I say best, I mean guys who I believe have the skills to get on the field right now and contribute in a big way. I think both Landry and Abberderis have something special that translates to the next level. I'm a huge fan of guys who play with passion, run really good routes and have solid hands. That is what you have with those guys. Both of those guys remind me of Hines Ward.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm not quite seeing what you are seeing here. I would have less issue if the guy was a converted basketball player in his senior year of HS. But, this guy has been playing WR for a minute and still is "raw". He does have speed and size, I do like his body control and that is where it ends. It will take MUCH growth to convince me this wasn't a throw away pick. Someone said, because Abberderis lasted to the late 5th that means he must be terrible (look at AB in the 6th). With that logic, how often do 6 foot 4 WRs that run a 4.4 last to the 4th round? Not often. The guy has serious deficits in his game. I don't think he will get separation at the next level because he lacks the technique to do so. I don't think he is agile enough to run a route that will fool anyone. So, he is at best a role player. He may learn to mask his deficits with shielding defenders. I suspect he could be a force in vertical routes and may have some nice grabs in that aspect. But, a #2 down to down kind of guy? I just don't see it. I will be VERY glad to eat crow if this guy turns out to be the next AJ Green but he has much convincing to do.
    Why does Bryant need to become a star in order for it to be a good pick?

AB in the 6th round isn't a good comparison. Part of the reason AB wasn't activate his first year is because he didn't know the route tree that well. He was a raw talent. No one said a guy lasting until 5th rounder is terrible, they said it means he probably isn't a better route runner than Moore and Cotch at this point in his career.

All you had to do was say the guy is a good route runner... no need to be sensational about it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Reading comprehension time. I NEVER said Abberderis was terrible!!! I said that he was the last pick in the 5th round, and I highly doubt he'd have lasted that long if he was a better route runner than established NFL vets like Lance Moore and Jerricho Cotchery.

Stop twisting my words.

Sure there are guys who get drafted late and become stars, but they are the exceptions to the rule. There's no harm in rooting for a guy because you like him, but the fact that you like him doesn't mean he's destined for greatness.