Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what is the plan with CB position?

Backup

User Info Menu

So what is the plan with CB position?

I liked the draft...Like always it is wait and see.
    However 1 CB. I was like ok we will sign 3-4 UDFA CB's....None

We have 6 or 7 on the roster and only 3-4 worth anything. Ike who is an old man in CB age...
    Cortez Allen and William Gay. Along with our 5th round pick. After this we have a bunch
    of old scrap metal.

So again, I ask what is the plan?

We get some money in a few weeks from Woodley's cut. 8 Million or so.

Do we wait and see who gets cut?

Trade for one?

Thoughts?

Legend

User Info Menu

Good question. Maybe they are planning to make a move for a veteran.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I can't believe they didn't bring in at least a couple UDFAs. It's very bizarre.

Personally, I think the team plans to play Shamarko Thomas in sub packages as another DB. Let's not forget about Thomas. Remember, the coaching staff including Carnell Lake praised Thomas for his ability to match up 1-on-1 with receivers such as Marquis Lee. Thomas has upper 4.3 speed. He can hold his own on WRs.

We could also use Shazier as another DB/S and have Timmons be the only other ILB on the field or add Spence as the second ILB depending on the defense (assuming he is the player we hope he is). Or we let Troy stay in coverage and use Shazier in a Troy-like role

Because of Shazier, Thomas, and possibly Spence, that could present some interesting sub packages.

However, I can't sugarcoat our base defense CBs. Allen is still a bit unproven and Ike looked horrific last year. That's not good. If Allen struggles, there is always William Gay but I don't want to see that as a long term solution. One injury and we are in serious trouble. 2 injuries and Shaq may be thrown into the starting lineup. We are that thin at CB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

However, I can't sugarcoat our base defense CBs. Allen is still a bit unproven, William Gay is decent, and Ike looked horrific last year. That's not good.
    Add to that the fact that Allen is in his contract year, and that Ike is likely in his last year, and you can see that the Steelers have put some pressure on themselves for next year, as well (remember, LeBeau doesn't like to play rookies).

I am surprised that they haven't done more to address the corner situation. Maybe they think they really have something with some of the reserve CB's on the roster.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think that need and value didn't dovetail in this particular draft...I would hate to draft a CB simply for the sake of doing so if we thought that better players at other "need" positions were higher on our draft board...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Terrell Thomas is still available...as is Mitchell's former teammate Drayton Florence.

Backup

User Info Menu

The Steelers are not in a hurry to rush Richardson into a role on defense. As it turned out, cornerback was not as big of a need for the Steelers as many analysts had believed.

Lake agreed with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who said Friday that he liked many of the free-agent cornerbacks on the roster. Lake singled out Antwon Blake, who joined the team in 2013, and Brice McCain, who was signed as a free agent earlier this spring.

"Antwon Blake is one, very fast, quick aggressive corner that I liked coming out last year," Lake said. "We were fortunate to grab him in free agency, and he's turned out to be very productive for us, especially on special teams. We got Brice McCain in the offseason, who I have been working with on the field the last couple of weeks. I'm really impressed with the way he moves.

"I think these guys are just getting started. They have the ability to cover and stay close to receivers. For guys who have been picked up in free agency that may have been overlooked in the past, I'm pretty excited about them. I think we have the ability to plug in and play some of the players we've picked up."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    I liked the draft...Like always it is wait and see.
    However 1 CB. I was like ok we will sign 3-4 UDFA CB's....None

We have 6 or 7 on the roster and only 3-4 worth anything. Ike who is an old man in CB age...
    Cortez Allen and William Gay. Along with our 5th round pick. After this we have a bunch
    of old scrap metal.

So again, I ask what is the plan?

We get some money in a few weeks from Woodley's cut. 8 Million or so.

Do we wait and see who gets cut?

Trade for one?

Thoughts?
    Duh...it is a simple answer. Give a 10 yard cushion and tackle the catch. That isn't going to change as long as Coach LeBeau has a free hand.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

It drives me crazy to know that Marcus Roberson and Loucheiz Purifoy from Florida still are UDFAs and we don't make a move for them.
    Last edited by gabr1el; 05-11-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

It starts to look like the Steelers believe the CB's are only as good as the pass rush before them...

So long as they don't get beat deep, and can tackle what is in front of them, it's entirely possible that 'less talented' CB's can play in this defense.

The fact they have 1, potentially 2 'special' Safeties as well as Mitchell who appears to be a bit of a playmaker, makes me think they value the defense of the middle of the field more than the edges.

How often did Ike & Cortez, even Gay get beaten when there was good pass rush?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR