Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what is the plan with CB position?

There is not much young talent available at all which makes it even more surprising that we didn't at least bring in a couple UDFAs.

I can't blame the Steelers for drafting BPA if they really did "stick to their board" as they claim. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't bring in at least 1-2 UDFA CBs.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Unsigned free agent corners still on the open market who we may be able to sign post June 1 once some of the Woodley dead money comes back onto this year's cap (with age in parentheses).

Asante Samuel (33)
    Jabari Greer (32)
    Terrell Thomas (29, but likely has the knees of a much older man due to multiple surgeries)
    Drayton Florence (33)
    Aaron Ross (31)
    Dunta Robinson (32)
    Eric Wright (29)
    Quentin Jammer (35)
    Dominique Franks (26)
    Jerome Murphy (27)
    Aaron Berry (26)
    Get one of those guys for a vet minimum after June 1
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Get one of those guys for a vet minimum after June 1
    That might just be the plan. Also there maybe more on the market after first cuts even.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    We did already sign Brice McCain earlier in free agency, so the front office may have come to the conclusion that McCain has more left in the tank that some of the bigger named vets on the downside of their careers (after all we've been doing to change old & slow to young & fast, do you think adding another old corner really helps?) We may just go with Ike, Cortez, Gay, McCain, Blake, and Shaq as our 6 corners (with Sharknado also able to play some nickel corner here and there). We'll also likely be keeping Troy, Mitchell, Will Allen, Shark, and Golden at safety, so we may only actually keep 5 CB's instead of 6 (10 DB's overall), in which case have McCain, Blake, and Shaq battle it out for the 2 backup CB slots behind Ike, Tez, and Gay.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We did already sign Brice McCain earlier in free agency, so the front office may have come to the conclusion that McCain has more left in the tank that some of the bigger named vets on the downside of their careers (after all we've been doing to change old & slow to young & fast, do you think adding another old corner really helps?) We may just go with Ike, Cortez, Gay, McCain, Blake, and Shaq as our 6 corners (with Sharknado also able to play some nickel corner here and there). We'll also likely be keeping Troy, Mitchell, Will Allen, Shark, and Golden at safety, so we may only actually keep 5 CB's instead of 6 (10 DB's overall), in which case have McCain, Blake, and Shaq battle it out for the 2 backup CB slots behind Ike, Tez, and Gay.
    Forgot all about McCain
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Analyzing Steelers decision to pass on cornerback until Day 3

By Neal Coolong on May 11 2014

More than 150 players were drafted before the Steelers scooped up Arizona's Shaquille Richardson in the fifth round. What gives? Steelers secondary coach Carnell Lake suggests free agent additions may already have taken care of the issue.

Darqueze Dennard was there for the taking at 15. The Steelers said no.

They had Phillip Gaines on the board in the second round. Nope.

Pierre Desir was there in the third and then again in the fourth. Uh uh. Both times.

So what gives? Why tempt Terry Hawthornian fate and take another lanky corner in the fifth round? Wasn't it a position of need? BTSC's Dale Grdnic quoted Steelers secondary coach Carnell Lake saying the team had addressed the cornerback position before the draft.

"We've been fortunate in that we've picked up some players as free agents -- Antwon Blake is one -- really fast and aggressive corner that I liked coming out last year,'' Lake said. "We were fortunate to grab him in free agency, and he's been productive for us last year. (And) Brice McCain, who I've had a chance to see on the field the past couple weeks.

Whether McCain - Pro Football Focus's worst cornerback in football last season - can contribute this season will be determined through the offseason program and training camp, but there is something to be said about leaning on veteran players adapting to the system quickly as opposed to a highly drafted rookie who is starting essentially from scratch.

This exact scenario is why it's difficult to focus on drafting a position as opposed to a player. There is little doubt Ryan Shazier is a better athlete than Dennard. The fact Dennard didn't end up being taken until the 24th overall pick is at least somewhat of a reason to justify he, in fact, would have been the reach pick, not Shazier - whose agent was reportedly on the phone with the Cowboys when the Steelers took him. The Cowboys were on the clock immediately after the Steelers.

As much as we liked Phillip Gaines, we figured he would go somewhere between the second and third rounds - and he went to Kansas City with the 87th overall pick, 10 picks before the Steelers. (He also went ahead of Lindenwood's Pierre Desir... just sayin'.)

If any cornerback from this draft ends up being the comeback argument to any future Richard Sherman proclamation of singular greatness, fine. The Steelers haven't had an All-Pro level cornerback since Rod Woodson anyway.

Depth is needed, but maybe Lake is right; they already brought in the players they needed.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...14-cornerbacks

I thought they should have gotten a corner before they used the number three pick on a returner. Great for returns but a corner is needed on the field a heck of a lot more than a returner. I don't know, maybe all the good corners were taken by number three ?

The Steelers went BPA at a position of need in the 1st according to their board even though CB is more of a need than ILB. I think Coolong (writer) is inaccurate when saying:

"Depth is needed, but maybe Lake is right; they already brought in the players they needed."

Lake never said they didn't need addition players.

The Steelers ranked CB, WR and ILB as need areas.

They would have taken Gilbert and Beckham Jr over Shazier but they weren't available. Saying the Steelers didn't think CB is a need is off base. The Steelers always draft with the "BPA at a position of need" strategy in the 1st round. If Gilbert was on their board higher than Shazier, then this is clearly evidence the Steelers FO labeled CB as a "need". They simply didn't want to reach for the position which is a good thing after Gilbert was drafted so they passed on Dennard.

"The Steelers went BPA at a position of need in the 1st according to their board even though CB is more of a need than ILB. "

But this is just you thinking this along with some other fans.... Yea, I wanted them to draft a corner too. Maybe at 15, but to be honest, I've been wanting them to get a Farrior replacement for the past 2 years! First with Hightower, then last year with Teo. So, they finally get their man in 2014..

HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY KNOW THAT CB WAS MORE OF A NEED THAN ILB??? Again- it's your quote and your line of thought. The Steelers thought differently than you, and frankly, they know their players and what they have on the roster better than you or I do..
    Last edited by pfelix73; 05-12-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    "The Steelers went BPA at a position of need in the 1st according to their board even though CB is more of a need than ILB. "

But this is just you thinking this along with some other fans.... Yea, I wanted them to draft a corner too. Maybe at 15, but to be honest, I've been wanting them to get a Farrior replacement for the past 2 years! First with Hightower, then last year with Teo. So, they finally get their man in 2014..

HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY KNOW THAT CB WAS MORE OF A NEED THAN ILB??? Again- it's your quote and your line of thought. The Steelers thought differently than you, and frankly, they know their players and what they have on the roster better than you or I do..
    Actually, I believe Colbert said that ILB wasn't exactly a huge need. Google it. With that being said, they needed depth and ILB is a bit of a unknown so they pulled the trigger on BPA.

CB is a need and the Steelers think so too. Like I said in my previous post, Colbert always drafts "BPA at a position of need". The Steelers were going to draft Gilbert or Beckham Jr if they were available. Now, what does that mean? Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner! Beckham Jr and Gilbert play a position that the Steelers consider a "need". Gilbert is a CB, right? Hmmm.... See where I'm going with this?