Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So what is the plan with CB position?

Legend

User Info Menu

Cornerback is certainly a need with Ike Taylor likely in his last season in the black & gold, Cortez Allen entering a contract year, and Gay being a solid slot CB who we really don't want to have to move outside if we don't have to. But a rookie CB was going to be the #4 CB this season behind Ike, Tez, and Gay. Drafting a CB high would be a futures pick, since he primary contributions as a rookie would be on special teams, unless multiple injuries hit.

On the other hand, Shazier and Tuitt can legitimately challenge to be starters right away. They won't be handed anything from day one, but they are more talented than Vince Williams or Cam Thomas, so it would not be surprising to see Shazier and Tuitt starting at some point this season. Based on this logic alone, you could argue that ILB and DE were more immediate needs for this team, whereas CB was more of a long-term organizational need instead.

Let's face it...we had needs at all 3 levels of our defense for sure, but the two guys that we got in the first two rounds are more likely to start at some point this year than any of the corners...Gilbert, Fuller, or Dennard...would have been.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

I wonder if a team (steelers) can call a FA and say..."Hey Mr. Whoever CB" ...we are getting 8 million in cap space on
    June 1. We type of offer would it take to have a verbal agreement on the table?

I would assume they wouldn't take the guys word and draft accordingly but they could at least get a good sense of who
    is interested and for what price.

I say it is more likely we look at the cuts and go from there.