Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Grade for this years draft: B+

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

birtikidis: Vanderbilt is in Nashville TN. The Titans play in Nashville. So Munchak says he got to see Johnson play, and he likes him a lot. That's good enough for me.

As to Richardson, one would assume that Carnell Lake was influential in that pick since he originally recruited Richardson for UCLA.

They might not make it, but I'm not going to quarrel with the ability of Munchak to evaluate an O-Lineman, or Lake's to evaluate a DB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sold on Bryant or the TE...I think Shazier if he can hang onto the weight could be very special but special in a couple years. Dri is going to be a freak. Tuitt...not sure but seems like a good value pick.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Would be great to see James back this year. Wonder what the two Bengals games would bring out in James' play, could be fun to watch.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't know if Harrison is the type that is into mentoring young players. Maybe someone else can enlighten us. If he's not, I question bringing him in for depth when we have younger guys who could use the experience and play special teams too.

Legend

User Info Menu

i thought you cant grade a draft for 3 years
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    I don't know if Harrison is the type that is into mentoring young players. Maybe someone else can enlighten us. If he's not, I question bringing him in for depth when we have younger guys who could use the experience and play special teams too.
    Personally mentoring them? Perhaps not...

Setting an example for the others? Oh, yeah...

Backup

User Info Menu

First let me say, on the whole...meanning addressing needs, with Talent, I love this draft. However, the only real Issue I had was the " Richardson " kid being our first pick in round 5. I mean I WILL support him...after all, he IS a Steeler...right

But I swear, when I heard his name in the 5th round, and saw his measureables...I could have sworn I was back in 2010...also in round 5...and heard the name " Crezdon Butler " I mean really, these guys are almost exact mirrors of one another.
    Richardson is a 1/4 inch taller, but other then that, their numbers are almost the same. And I remember back in 2010, a lot of Steeler fans were saying...Who ? And I think those same Steeler fans are saying Who once again.

I hope Richardson does well for us, but he is really my only head scratcher...not that we selected him, I know he visited us. Just when we selected him. But hey, we needed at least one more CB in the draft, and the Steelers brass and scouts definitely know more then I do...right ?

So all in all...No real complaints!

I grade it a solid " A "!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Bringing Harrison back doesn't show a lot of faith in JJ
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Mel Kiper who doesn't like the Steelers gave them one of the best grades

The [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers"]Steelers[/URL] don't usually walk away from their draft getting significant positive praise from ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. In fact, we usually write this column ripping him a little bit and defending the logic behind the players the Steelers just chose.This year, we don't have to.

Kiper gave the Steelers an "A-" grade, citing excellent picks in the first two rounds - Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier and Notre Dame defensive end Stephon Tuitt - and getting a player with "pure explosiveness" in third round pick Dri Archer.

He fairly questions whether the team did enough at cornerback, adding only Shaq Richardson from Arizona in the fifth round, but pointing out the great potential value from sixth-round pick nose tackle Daniel McCullers and fifth-round pick offensive lineman Wesley Johnson begs the question of whether the Steelers just felt better about other players where they were.

Kiper's grading scale is as follows:Grading Scale: In my mind an A means it's exceptional; a B is pretty good; a C means average, with hits and misses; a D means below average with some big questions. An F ... well, I don't see any.

An A- grade seems fair. And it seems exciting. The Steelers had a solid draft in 2013, but the feeling around this one is much more positive, almost freeing. They kept to a general plan - they wanted speed and they wanted athleticism. They took several outstanding athletes and one guy who's bigger than anyone else - and actually moves fairly well in close spaces, which is probably all you can ask a guy at 6-foot-7, 352 pounds.

It's a great grade for a team drafting three times in the top 100 - the Steelers were the only team he put in the "A" category with only three picks in the top 100. That's a huge statement.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 05-11-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Like all drafts, it's wait and see. And hope.
    This draft generally got B+ and A grades; how did it turn out again?

Evander Hood DE - Bust. Bad pick. Never should have been drafted.
    Kraig Urbik T - Cut.
    Mike Wallace WR - OK until he became a jerk.
    Keenan Lewis DB - OK, but we only got one season of play out of him. Anal Retentive LeBoo strikes again.
    Joe Burnett DB - bust
    Frank Summers RB - cut
    Ra'Shon Harris DT - cut
    A.Q. Shipley C - cut
    David Johnson - played but never should have; does nothing well.

Most of these drafts got A and B grades; did they turn out to really be that good? NOT.

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm[/url]