Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade for Zumwalt

Legend

User Info Menu

this kid's attitude is enough to get him drafted in the 6th

Administrator

User Info Menu

Zumwalt is my least favorite pick. It's just seems like a waste. Look at our current roster and tell me if you think he even stands the chance to make the roster? It's not because I dislike Zumwalt, its simply a numbers game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I did look at our current roster. Why are you so sure that he couldn't beat out Kion Wilson, Vince Willliams, Chris Carter, T. Garvin or Sean Spence? It's obvious that they see shortcomings in the current roster of LBs. Why else would they draft two?

By the way, the "undersized" Shazier is as big as, or bigger than, Garvin, Spence and Wilson. Yet when Spence was picked two years ago, most people dismissed the size issue because he was quick and had a nose for the ball. I hope he still does. Just amusing to observe the different reactions.
    Last edited by RobinCole; 05-11-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Zumwalt will provide depth and be a core ST player...worth a 6th, IMHO...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

At #192, I like this pick alot. Smart LB. Great pick if he makes the teams even if only for ST's in the next couple of years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Admittedly I didn't know much about Zumwalt before he was drafted, but after reading his bio material and looking at the Steelers roster, I think he has a solid shot to make the team. The Steelers are a 3-4 team and the heart and soul of the 3-4 are linebackers. I don't see the defense going 4-3, even when LeBeau retires. Thankfully, from my point of view. The last few years, the linebacking corps has not been an overall outstanding or deep group. When there are injuries and you have to turn to players like Chris Carter and Kion Wilson, your linebackers as a group are not a strength.

Right now the Steelers website shows 13 linebackers on the roster. Chris Carter, Terence Garvin, Jarvis Jones, Dan Molls, Ryan Shazier, Vic So'oto, Sean Spence, Lawrence Timmons, Vince Williams, Kion Wilson, Jason Worilds, Jordan Zumwalt and Arthur Moats. I think there are about five locks, Jones, Shazier, Timmons, Worilds and probably Moats. I like Garvin, he should make it. If Sean Spence can recover enough, he should make it and Vince Williams showed enough that he should make it. That is eight. I think the Steelers usually keep 9-10 linebackers. I hope they shed Carter and Wilson. I have no insight into Molls or So'oto. If Zumwalt is one of these characters with a lot of intensity and work ethic and some talent to go with it, he could stick. Not hard to see that. Have to wait and see how he looks in camp.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mel kiper gave the Steelers A- at said it was one of the better drafts.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    I did look at our current roster. Why are you so sure that he couldn't beat out Kion Wilson, Vince Willliams, Chris Carter, T. Garvin or Sean Spence? It's obvious that they see shortcomings in the current roster of LBs. Why else would they draft two?

By the way, the "undersized" Shazier is as big as, or bigger than, Garvin, Spence and Wilson. Yet when Spence was picked two years ago, most people dismissed the size issue because he was quick and had a nose for the ball. I hope he still does. Just amusing to observe the different reactions.
    The problems for all those guys listed above is that they bring nothing unique to the squad. Zumwalt, with all his shortcomings, brings a fire and motivisation that cannot be denied. If he can find his niche, he could have a nice career with the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, after such a strong start
    You failed to mention this little tidbit from the review. Apparently this guy disagrees with every other opinion that you have of this draft, but you conveniently only found his opinion of the sixth round comp pick to be important.

it is a shame to see things falling apart here at the end.
    I find it funny that he believes that a pick right at the end of the sixth round is so important that it can make an otherwise strong draft (his words) fall apart.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Zumwalt is my least favorite pick. It's just seems like a waste. Look at our current roster and tell me if you think he even stands the chance to make the roster? It's not because I dislike Zumwalt, its simply a numbers game.
    Zumwalt was brought in for a visit so he was on the radar. Can he make the roster? He's going to have to beat out a few young guys Wilson n Garvin to name 2. I would think his ability to play special teams is going to go a long way to landing a roster spot.
    I will put it this way if this guy was walking in and we were going ...."he can start" or "will have no problem making the team" then I would think our roster is not all that. Lets see what he's got at Latrobe.