Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dri Archer

What this pick does is give the Steelers another dimension to throw at teams, as they spend the week planning to face them. Remember ARE? He was not a great receiver, and certainly not the best on the board at the time. He was never going to unseat Ben as the QB. So why take him? Because every week, the opposing DC had to gameplan for the "what if". And that is a very legit concern when it comes to Archer. It is not that the team will put the ball in his hands every time he is on the field, but the D has to prepare for that every time they see him on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    That's the only thing bothering me. On kick-offs, 75% are non-returnable so he will never touch the ball. On punts, teams will kick away from him or out of bounds (see D Hester). So again, no chance to make a play.

.... but woe to the team that doesn't get the ball to the endzone on kickoff.
    It is very true that the value of the KR is much lower since they moved the KO up 5 yards. I wonder, and have no idea where to look this up, what the difference is on punts that go out of bounds vs. punts that get to the returner - especially those kicks that are intentionally OB, as opposed to angled punts that might bounce out. Will a punter who averages say 44 yards, with a net of 40 only punt it 35 if he has been instructed to not let the returner get to the ball?

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Didn't know Joe Cribbs also went to Kent State. If Archer can duplicate Cribbs' career we got a very good player
    Josh Cribbs was teammate with James Harrison back at Kent State back in 2001 (which also happened to be Roethlisberger's first season starting at Miami (OH) as a redshirt freshman in the same conference. Cribbs and Harrison have been seen together in Hawaii as both have been to multiple Pro Bowls.

The problem is kickoffs end up in the back of the endzone the majority of the time nowadays... so the NFL rules have really dampened the impact of KRs which I think is a shame.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It is very true that the value of the KR is much lower since they moved the KO up 5 yards. I wonder, and have no idea where to look this up, what the difference is on punts that go out of bounds vs. punts that get to the returner - especially those kicks that are intentionally OB, as opposed to angled punts that might bounce out. Will a punter who averages say 44 yards, with a net of 40 only punt it 35 if he has been instructed to not let the returner get to the ball?

i havent figured out why no coach wont simply insists that every punt be OB. you may sacrifice a few yards but never have to worry about getting a huge return against you.
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    He won't be a RB solely. He will play WR, and a returner. And, a lot of players never returned Punts in college til they did it in the NFL. Randel El never did it, neither did Deion Sanders. As for his size...how many examples do you want ? There are players in the league right now who are UNDER 150Lbs. Hell, Desean Jackson, a PRO BOWL WR was 2 inches taller then Archer, but 5 Lbs lighter....and he's made it.

You need to truly get a Clue son before you spew out your Garbage!!
    Hey *******. Jackson is 2 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier. He was also a WR and has always been a WR. Give me ONE example of a 5'8 170 lb. RB doing anything in the NFL. Just ONE. Also Randle EL did return a few punts in college. Maybe you should get a clue boy before you spew out ****. He didn't do kickoffs. Moron. Now **** off and get back to your sand box.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Josh Cribbs was teammate with James Harrison back at Kent State back in 2001 (which also happened to be Roethlisberger's first season starting at Miami (OH) as a redshirt freshman in the same conference. Cribbs and Harrison have been seen together in Hawaii as both have been to multiple Pro Bowls.

A big deal was made out of this after JH concussed Cribbs. Cribbs went against the grain and stood up for Harrison IIRC saying something along the lines of it being a football play and it happens.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Hey *******. Jackson is 2 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier. He was also a WR and has always been a WR. Give me ONE example of a 5'8 170 lb. RB doing anything in the NFL. Just ONE. Also Randle EL did return a few punts in college. Maybe you should get a clue boy before you spew out ****. He didn't do kickoffs. Moron. Now **** off and get back to your sand box.
    Just to grind it in for you Vader. Dri A. has been a productive WR as I see it. I don't see him doing much as a true NFL RB. He does not need to steal touches away from the new 2 headed monster the Steelers have. He will look great on reverses I bet though. Why are some of you guys SO against some of these draft picks? At this point it is 50/50 for them ALL! Also the Steelers have 2 big thumpers at RB. Why not add the opposite end of small and super fast? I am concerned about him as far as health but there were a few of the smaller speed backs in this draft. Heck I always was concerned about fast Wille's health. How that end up? Bad leg injury will take some of there speed which they have to have to succeed I think. Still a good pick based of college production I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Tavon Austin

Dexter McCluster

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The problem is kickoffs end up in the back of the endzone the majority of the time nowadays... so the NFL rules have really dampened the impact of KRs which I think is a shame.
    You're partially right, steelz. The first month or so, most kickoffs are out of the endzone, but as we move into late October and for the rest of the season, as the weather gets colder, a lot of those kickoffs become returnable. I think Archer is a great pickup and even with limited touches will have a positive impact this coming season.

FWIW, both Kiper and McShay loved the Archer selection.