Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? for those 'loving' the shazier pick

Legend

User Info Menu

? for those 'loving' the shazier pick

why didnt any of you have them in your mock draft sig?
    did anyone of you have them in the 'who is gonna be our pick' type threads?
    did anyone state how olb/ilb was one of our greatest needs?

i think OVI had him as a guess at #15 but not in his sig.
    anyone else?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I didn't see one mention of him, other than in the "worst nightmare pick" thread. I am so sick of the Steelers thinking they have to be cute and draft someone that is out of left field. They believe their own press clippings too much, about them being such draft "gurus." It simply hasn't been true for a pretty long time, but they still think they are genius. The emperor has no clothes.

Administrator

User Info Menu

If they wanted a 215 athletic ILBer then why didn't they just move Troy there permanently and fill the SS spot vacated by Troy with Shamarko?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I am so sick of the Steelers thinking they have to be cute and draft someone that is out of left field.
    Was the Jarvis Jones pick out of left field? Was David DeCastro? Cam Heyward? Maurkice Pouncey?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If they wanted a 215 athletic ILBer then why didn't they just move Troy there permanently and fill the SS spot vacated by Troy with Shamarko?
    Ryan Shazier measured in at 6'1" and 237 lbs. at the combine.

What does Patrick Willis play at? 6'1" and 240 lbs.

What about Ray Lewis back in the day? 6'1" and 240 lbs.

Dude is the same height and a whole 3 lbs. lighter than the most dominant ILB's of the past several decades.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, mostly, because Shazier is listed at 237 which is 22 pounds of muscle heavier than Troy and Troy was never a linebacker. No one put him in their mock, because no one believed that to be the direction the Steelers would be going. It seemed Fata Compli that the Steelers were taking a CB or Mike Evans if he was available. The Steelers didn't see it that way and now we'll see how it works out for the team.

144 tackles, a bunch for losses and 7 sacks is a lot of production in one of the top 3 college conferences in America. I hope it works it, I'm not sold on the pick, but I'm not going to complain about it either. Shazier seems to be a great athlete (which you need, see Seattle), a good football player and comes with a great attitude, what more can you really ask for?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

Shawn is a buckeye fan and he indicated that his playing weight was at the 210-215 area and added weight (likely water weight) for the combine.... so 237 appears to be a BS figure.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Was the Jarvis Jones pick out of left field? Was David DeCastro? Cam Heyward? Maurkice Pouncey?
    No, but this pick was. So was Landry Jones, Ziggy Hood, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Matt Speath, David Sepulveda, Trai Essex, Kendall Simmons, Troy Edwards, Jeremy Staat, Jermain Sephens, et al. The Ravens just take who makes obvious sense. Pgh has to always be tricky and cute because they think they are warlocks at drafting. They aren't. They have been stinking up drafts for 5 years now.

Legend

User Info Menu

There's quite a few of us that wanted an ILB and thought that was one of the team's biggest areas they could improve.

I thought Mosley would be the guy long before the mock draft seasons so I just stuck with him. But as we got closer to the draft I started hearing a couple people mention Shazier might be the 2nd best LB in the draft and when I saw Ovi put it in his mock and Colbert say we wanted to trade down, I had a feeling this was the guy we were locked in on.

He fits the mold of the Tomlin type pick perfectly. We seem to like OSU. It was so obvious all along looking at it 20/20.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Shawn is a buckeye fan and he indicated that his playing weight was at the 210-215 area and added weight (likely water weight) for the combine.... so 237 appears to be a BS figure.
    Watching him play, he sure doesn't look like 237. You really think this guy looks any where near 240? Does he resemble an NFL ILB? Face it, we have another project on our hands. Don't just draft someone who already fits the position; always draft players who need converted and transformed, because you guys are so super smart.