Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the beginning of us looking UP to the Browns?

Pro Bowler

Is this the beginning of us looking UP to the Browns?

It's only one round, but they made amazing progress and we seemed to take on an experiment. Johnny Manziel will prove to be a difference maker. Gilbert and Hayden will form one of the best CB duos in the NFL. Browns are the youngest team in the NFL. If the trend continues, especially in this draft, we might be looking at the late 80's all over again, where the Browns actually beat us more than we beat them. I hope not, but the writing is starting to appear on the wall.

Are we going to be back to the days of facing a Brown's team that is clearly more talented than us? I think yesterday may have been a red letter day. I guess it was bound to happen at some point.

Amazing progress? By missing out on Blake Bortles? And Sammy Watkins? And Khalil Mack?

By missing on the player that they wanted (Bortles) or players who were the best at their respective positions?

Until Johnny Mansmell proves me wrong, I'm not buying what the Browns are selling...

My worst fear in this draft besides the Steelers drafting Roby was the Browns getting Manziel. Not so sure about Gilbert. He doesn't impress me. They should have went WR and Manziel. But, Manny will be a headache for us for many years.

Actually... I think the Browns made solid moves. They got Manziel. They now have Gilbert to team up with Joe Haden. That's 2 SOLID CBs.

And they got the Bills 2015 1st round pick and their 5th if I remember correctly.

Legend
    Didn't people say this a few years ago when they got a QB and another player in the first round?

maybe that was Cincinnati.. not sure.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Amazing progress? By missing out on Blake Bortles? And Sammy Watkins? And Khalil Mack?

By missing on the player that they wanted (Bortles) or players who were the best at their respective positions?

Until Johnny Mansmell proves me wrong, I'm not buying what the Browns are selling...
    Browns aren't selling it. The entire media is. Turn on your TV; Manziel is the biggest story of the whole draft. Bortels hasn't proven sh-t. JM has. When is the last time we had to face a real QB playing he Browns. Try to even come up with that answer. JM is the real deal. You will see, unfortunately.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Didn't people say this a few years ago when they got a QB and another player in the first round?

Nope, that was the Browns too. Cleveland has had multiple first round pick 3 times in the last 8 drafts.

In 2007, they picked OT Joe Thomas at #3 and QB Brady Quinn at #22.

In 2012, they picked RB Trent Richardson at #3 and QB Brandon Weeden at #22.

Yesterday, they picked CB Justin Gilbert at #8 and QB Johnny Manziel at #22.

You'd think they learned their lesson already about using a second 1st round pick on a QB at pick #22!!!

They now have their own first rounder and Buffalo's first rounder in 2015. Here's hoping one of those picks ends up at #22 and they take a sucky QB yet again.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

I don't ever recall that in recent years, unless you are including the Browns fans as delivering that message. I certainly wasn't afraid of any of their recent QBs - not a single one scared or convinced me the depression was over in Cleveland. What recent QB made us say the dearth was over? Brady Quinn? No. Weeden? No. Frye? No. McCoy? No. JM is different than those guys; he is special. So Brotels is big. OK, what else? His arm is weaker. He doesn't have the instincts and fire in the belly as JM. Nick Saban said he has never faced a player harder to defend than JM.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    My worst fear in this draft besides the Steelers drafting Roby was the Browns getting Manziel. Not so sure about Gilbert. He doesn't impress me. They should have went WR and Manziel. But, Manny will be a headache for us for many years.
    I think there is something to be said for TWO top CBs on one team. They had that with Minnifield and Dixon and almost made the Super Bowl, twice. Having two stud CBs is solid. And, their are PLENTY of good WR prospects left to pair with that beast, Gordon. They also need to patch the OL some, LB and RB. But they aren't as far as most think. JM is a difference maker, period. He is going to be a pain in our neck for over a decade.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I don't ever recall that in recent years, unless you are including the Browns fans as delivering that message. I certainly wasn't afraid of any of their recent QBs - not a single one scared or convinced me the depression was over in Cleveland. What recent QB made us say the dearth was over? Brady Quinn? No. Weeden? No. Frye? No. McCoy? No. JM is different than those guys; he is special. So Brotels is big. OK, what else? His arm is weaker. He doesn't have the instincts and fire in the belly as JM. Nick Saban said he has never faced a player harder to defend than JM.
    Nope.. pretty sure it was the Browns.

Every year people say they had an impressive draft but it never pans out.

I'm a little worried about JM as well because we struggle vs mobile QB's. Only thing that makes me feel better is that Cleveland cold wind. JM has never dealt with that type of weather.