Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we just draft another player to play out of his postion?

Administrator

User Info Menu

and except for the fact that they play 2 completely different positions.

David is a weakside linebacker in a 4-3. Shazier played in a 4-3 and we are "hoping" that he can play ILB in a 3-4.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Pretty much... just like when Tomlin fell in love with Timmons. He drafted him to play OLB but said he was ILB-capable. He sucked at OLB so if Tomlin evaluated him as an OLB then that was HORRIFIC scouting.

Well, I think we're all glad he was able to play ILB after 3 years worth of multi-million dollar on the job training.

Let's just hope that Shazier isn't another "athletic freak" from OSU. VERNON GHOLSTON ANYBODY?
    OMG, that would be just horrid, and it could happen.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

David is a weakside linebacker in a 4-3. Shazier played in a 4-3 and we are "hoping" that he can play ILB in a 3-4.
    Stop talking unless you know what your talking about. If David played in Pitt he would be playing inside just like Shazier will. James Farrior was an outside backer in NY....so what? Shazier played both inside and outside depending on down and distance. SHHHHHHHHHHH

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Stop talking unless you know what your talking about. If David played in Pitt he would be playing inside just like Shazier will. James Farrior was an outside backer in NY....so what? Shazier played both inside and outside depending on down and distance. SHHHHHHHHHHH
    No $hit... thats because we run a 3-4. There is no guarantee a guy can convert from a 4-3 LB to a 3-4 ILB..... completely different. David might have put up good #'s but he could be a bust in a 3-4. It's not plugin-in-play regardless of schemes and expect the same production.

Legend

User Info Menu

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes... we are supposed to love everything the team does and be happy with our 8-8 trend.

I love watching Miami's offense march up and down the field against us in the snow in a critical game. Please, can I have another?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sigh. Another case of having to HOPE a player can play something he hasn't been playing in college. I am so sick of this crap.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I could have sworn that I heard Goodell say....

With the 15th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select: Vernon Gholston

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Regardless, it's another "Tomlin project!" Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 3 years from now we might see if this guy can play or not. Don't forget, in LeBoo super complex system, this guy will be lost for years before we have any hope of production out of him.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Vernon Gholston was a workout warrior...

Shazier was the Buckeyes' leading tackler and has recorded 40+ TfL over the last two seasons...

Shazier played multiple positions for the Buckeyes, inside, outside and even as an edge rusher at times...

He will be a good player for us...I feel bad that some of you don't like the pick...I believe that he will prove you wrong...