Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What if Spence or Williams beat out Shazier?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Shazier will START inside next to Timmons. Bank on it. However, drafting Shazier gives the Steelers some insurance. Should Worilds walk next year Timmons COULD slide outside and Shazier and Williams/Spence can play inside.
    Timmons can't play LOLB. He struggled mightily at ROLB a few years ago. Timmons is about speed and delivering a hit. He isn't a "hold the point" guy. They will leave him inside, count on it. If Worilds leaves next year they'll bring in a FA and probably draft another one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You don't get it do you? Let me break it down for you...

1) Let's say Worilds is signed long term.
    2) Let's say that Spence gets the start and plays great. He plays good enough to where he's not going to lose his starting job.
    3) JJ shows us why he was a 1st round pick
    4) Timmons continues his solid play

Where does that leave Shazier? You don't want your first rounder to sit the bench so I'm asking what happens in a scenario that isn't far fetched.

He might not start this year. Heck, he could take a few years to develop like Timmons did. If he does develop and takes a couple years, that happens to be when Timmons will be 30 (2 yrs) and counting around 11.5 million against the cap.

If the scenario above plays out, Timmons would be the odd man out because of his age and his cap value. Thats not "hating"... that's using common sense.
    I get it... but I think Timmons will take a pay cut and be our Farrior/Foote.

I just thinks it's stupid to play the "what if everything falls perfectly into place to make Timmons the odd man out in 2 years" game right now.

We all know vets eventually get forced out by youth or injury... hell, can we at least see Spence on the field post injury?

Legend

User Info Menu

We should be worrying a whole bunch more about Jarvis Jones than Ryan Shazier. There is a whole lot more riding on Jones becoming what they hoped he was. I'm much more confident that Shazier will get the job done.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We should be worrying a whole bunch more about Jarvis Jones than Ryan Shazier. There is a whole lot more riding on Jones becoming what they hoped he was. I'm much more confident that Shazier will get the job done.
    I'm not..... but we shall see. Timmons was pathetic his rookie season but you praise him and write off Jarvis Jones. It's laughable.... Timmons had a spectacular 13 total tackles as a rookie. Now, thats spectacular play from your 15th overall pick. Damn... these facts just keep getting in the way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm not..... but we shall see. Timmons was pathetic his rookie season but you praise him and write off Jarvis Jones. It's laughable.... Timmons had a spectacular 13 total tackles as a rookie. Now, thats spectacular play from your 15th overall pick. Damn... these facts just keep getting in the way.
    Timmons also had a deep and experienced group of LBs in front of him and Jones was handed the starting job that he failed to keep. Keep working those facts.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons also had a deep and experienced group of LBs in front of him and Jones was handed the starting job that he failed to keep. Keep working those facts.
    both were monsters on ST's... I'm actually more excited about JJ because he had more reps on D his first year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am more worried about "what if none of these guys can play" than "what if all of these players become studs"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I am more worried about "what if none of these guys can play" than "what if all of these players become studs"
    Only Steeler fans would worry about too many players being good and what to do, I hope to Hades they have that problem next year, because Worilds records 13 sacks75 tackles, 4FF, 2INTs and 20 TFL, Jones records 9 sacks, 3 FF and 5 TFL, Timmons checks in with 120 tackles, 10 sacks, 2 INTs, 4 FFs and 10 TFL and Spence records 60 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF and 5 TFL and because of all that Shazier records 40 tackles on STs.
    How effing awesome would that be?
    Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

huh?

JJ had a young, mid 2nd round pick in front of him

timmons had larry (everyone wants to replace me) foote in front of him

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Shazier will START inside next to Timmons. Bank on it. However, drafting Shazier gives the Steelers some insurance. Should Worilds walk next year Timmons COULD slide outside and Shazier and Williams/Spence can play inside.
    Timmons could slide outside? He has never been any good at OLB. That is why they were forced to move him inside to begin with. What has changed since? Our OLBs MUST get pressure on the QB coming from the edge. LT is not an edge rusher.