Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: What if Spence or Williams beat out Shazier?

  1. #1
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,375

    What if Spence or Williams beat out Shazier?

    Williams has the starting experience and Spence was drafted to be the future starter at the position they just filled via Shazier. There is a lot of support for Spence on this board but obviously the injury is a concern. Spence was undersized with great speed, instincts, and "smarts". If he proves that he can, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins the starting job outright and never loses it.

    If that happens... then what? I would assume Timmons' tenure as as Steeler would be over. He would be a high dollar vet (30 years/old) in 2 years. Back in the day, we always let LBs walk at around that age.

  2. #2
    Or, Shazier slides outside after Worilds walks...

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,846
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Williams has the starting experience and Spence was drafted to be the future starter at the position they just filled via Shazier. There is a lot of support for Spence on this board but obviously the injury is a concern. Spence was undersized with great speed, instincts, and "smarts". If he proves that he can, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins the starting job outright and never loses it.

    If that happens... then what? I would assume Timmons' tenure as as Steeler would be over. He would be a high dollar vet (30 years/old) in 2 years. Back in the day, we always let LBs walk at around that age.
    you hate Timmons that much? Timmons isn't going anywhere... he's too versatile.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Great if they beat him out because they've improved and not because Shazier is doing bad. It's always great when anyone steps up on the team. We just want to win SuperBowls.

  5. #5
    Shazier will START inside next to Timmons. Bank on it. However, drafting Shazier gives the Steelers some insurance. Should Worilds walk next year Timmons COULD slide outside and Shazier and Williams/Spence can play inside.
    Trade our 1/15 to SF for 1/30, 2/56, 4/129

    1/30-Louis Nix-DT-ND
    2/46-Stephon Tuitt-DE-ND
    2/56-Jordan Mathews-WR-Vandy
    3/97-Phillip Gaines-CB-Rice
    4/118-Taylor Hart-DE-Oregon
    4/129-Lache Seastrunk-RB-Baylor
    5/157-Aaron Colvin-DB-Oklahoma
    5/173-Brandon Thomas-OL-Clemson
    6/192-Ka'Deem Carey-RB-Arizona
    6/215-Prince Shembo-OLB_Notre Dame
    7/230-Colt Lyerla-TE-Oregon













  6. #6
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,375
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you hate Timmons that much? Timmons isn't going anywhere... he's too versatile.
    You don't get it do you? Let me break it down for you...

    1) Let's say Worilds is signed long term.
    2) Let's say that Spence gets the start and plays great. He plays good enough to where he's not going to lose his starting job.
    3) JJ shows us why he was a 1st round pick
    4) Timmons continues his solid play

    Where does that leave Shazier? You don't want your first rounder to sit the bench so I'm asking what happens in a scenario that isn't far fetched.

    He might not start this year. Heck, he could take a few years to develop like Timmons did. If he does develop and takes a couple years, that happens to be when Timmons will be 30 (2 yrs) and counting around 11.5 million against the cap.

    If the scenario above plays out, Timmons would be the odd man out because of his age and his cap value. Thats not "hating"... that's using common sense.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You don't get it do you? Let me break it down for you...

    1) Let's say Worilds is signed long term.
    2) Let's say that Spence gets the start and plays great. He plays good enough to where he's not going to lose his starting job.
    3) JJ shows us why he was a 1st round pick
    4) Timmons continues his solid play

    Where does that leave Shazier? You don't want your first rounder to sit the bench so I'm asking what happens in a scenario that isn't far fetched.

    He might not start this year. Heck, he could take a few years to develop like Timmons did. If he does develop and takes a couple years, that happens to be when Timmons will be 30 (2 yrs) and counting around 11.5 million against the cap.

    If the scenario above plays out, Timmons would be the odd man out because of his age and his cap value. Thats not "hating"... that's using common sense.
    Lets go with this and say Spence( who I am rooting for) comes all the way back and plays great. Shazier has the speed+ to go outside. In this case better option do to speed then say JJ. If RS is that good move JJ in a trade. People are always looking for pass rushers provided JJ is that.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,523
    How about Shazier taking TROY's spot in the DIME at ILB next year and let TROY roam free again?
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  9. #9
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Lets go with this and say Spence( who I am rooting for) comes all the way back and plays great. Shazier has the speed+ to go outside. In this case better option do to speed then say JJ. If RS is that good move JJ in a trade. People are always looking for pass rushers provided JJ is that.
    Sure.. you could trade anyone in my scenario .. Timmons, Spence, Worilds or JJ. I just think the better option would be to cut the large contract for someone that is 30. That frees up a ton of $$$ and in the process... you stay young.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Sure.. you could trade anyone in my scenario .. Timmons, Spence, Worilds or JJ. I just think the better option would be to cut the large contract for someone that is 30. That frees up a ton of $$$ and in the process... you stay young.
    Your point is well made. Just giving another option. Lets hope Spence 2.0 is all that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •