Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Why Shazier? This article says it best!

  1. #1
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,562

    Why Shazier? This article says it best!

    From BTSC and IMO right on the mark. Shazier will do well because he fills the need to be able to cover versus just be a "thumper" which is all Vice Williams will ever be. I also agree that Sahazier will do more sooner than Jarvis Jones. The author agrees.

    BTSC's Dale Grdnic was at the South Side facility Thursday evening when the Steelers selected Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier. In fielding quotes for the story he filed, one part sticks out.

    Writes Grdnic:

    Shazier noted that while the Steelers said he can get bigger, other coaches have told him that his weight is just fine. He also said he was timed as fast as 4.35. Shazier added that he ran a 4.36 at his pro day.He's 21 years old, and only the very lucky and the disciplined will remain around their same weight. But the Steelers don't seem overly concerned with him at 237 - his Combine weight. And they shouldn't be.

    The Steelers chose him based on production and explosion, two things he showed repeatedly on film when he was playing at around 225 pounds. The Steelers are accepting the fact the linebacker position is becoming, more or less, a hybrid S/LB spot now. They showed that literally last season when they moved safety Troy Polamalu to a linebacker role when traditionally built linebacker Vince Williams was being targeted in the passing game.If they're looking for Shazier to stay fast as opposed to bulking up - one of the reasons rookie linebackers haven't gotten on the field often for the Steelers in Dick LeBeau's defense - you're looking at what's likely the second straight year of a rookie starting in the linebackers group.

    He's the most pro-ready of himself, Jarvis Jones and Vince Williams, for what they're asking him to do. He's going to be in coverage quite a bit (the Steelers have seen a 10 percent increase in pass completions allowed since 2011, a trend that has increased each of the last three seasons) and from there, he's simply going to have to play angles against the run game and create as much churn as he can inside the box - assuming the fears of naysayers are confirmed and he simply isn't strong enough to bang around inside.

    The Steelers must feel he's at least serviceable at the 237 range, or are comfortable sticking him in an advanced weight room program, because three other numbers - 4.37 - appear to carry more weight.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,050
    Shazier can and will probably be a 3 down LBer for many years to come.
    Some of the clueless wonders on this board just love to criticise everything we do.
    I'm very happy with this pick.
    Not taking a CB who won't play for 2-3 years was the right move.
    Some keep talking about how the NFL has become a passing league and we just got a speedy LB who can cover.
    As long as DL is here CB isnt a priority.
    You know it and i know it.
    Stop ya whining, you know who you are.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Some of the clueless wonders on this board just love to criticise everything we do.
    I wouldn't call them clueless. They just buy into the whole ESPN/NFLN mock draft expert machine. And if we're told by the "experts" that a guy is a late first round talent, we're collectively going to agree (even if subconciously) and that shapes our thinking when we go back and watch tape.

    It's the trickle down from Mel Kiper. I blame that guy for all idiocy. We live in a culture where everyone is a college football expert. Being an expert at evaluating NFL talent is like being an expert at craps. No one is.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wouldn't call them clueless. They just buy into the whole ESPN/NFLN mock draft expert machine. And if we're told by the "experts" that a guy is a late first round talent, we're collectively going to agree (even if subconciously) and that shapes our thinking when we go back and watch tape.

    It's the trickle down from Mel Kiper. I blame that guy for all idiocy. We live in a culture where everyone is a college football expert. Being an expert at evaluating NFL talent is like being an expert at craps. No one is.





    Flippy, I wouldn't take Mel Kiper's word on ANYTHING....other then " Hair Products "

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,843
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Shazier can and will probably be a 3 down LBer for many years to come.
    Some of the clueless wonders on this board just love to criticise everything we do.
    I'm very happy with this pick.
    Not taking a CB who won't play for 2-3 years was the right move.
    Some keep talking about how the NFL has become a passing league and we just got a speedy LB who can cover.
    As long as DL is here CB isnt a priority.
    You know it and i know it.
    Stop ya whining, you know who you are.
    really have to wonder how they operate in real life...

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,050
    Thats why i don't listen to Kiper
    He loves the sound of his own voice.
    We all know THIS defense works when we have good solid LBers.
    1st round CB's dont play in this defense.
    Not saying i agree, but it is what it is.
    Peopel can have their own opinions, but it's the whinebashing that makes me pull my hair out.
    It's getting difficult to have a meaningful discussion on this board after sifting through all the crying.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Thats why i don't listen to Kiper
    He loves the sound of his own voice.
    We all know THIS defense works when we have good solid LBers.
    1st round CB's dont play in this defense.
    Not saying i agree, but it is what it is.
    Peopel can have their own opinions, but it's the whinebashing that makes me pull my hair out.
    It's getting difficult to have a meaningful discussion on this board after sifting through all the crying.
    It is as though this board is haunted by the ghost of Crash...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It is as though this board is haunted by the ghost of Crash...
    Oh god NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler calmkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,336
    I don't understand why people keep saying that he needs to gain weight. Farrior played at 218....
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!


    Draft 2.0

    1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Shazier can and will probably be a 3 down LBer for many years to come.
    Some of the clueless wonders on this board just love to criticise everything we do.
    I'm very happy with this pick.
    Not taking a CB who won't play for 2-3 years was the right move.
    Some keep talking about how the NFL has become a passing league and we just got a speedy LB who can cover.
    As long as DL is here CB isnt a priority.
    You know it and i know it.
    Stop ya whining, you know who you are.
    Stop trying to tell others what to feel, think and say. You aren't our dad. I don't tell you that your pie in the sky, Kool Aid drinking is off the mark. We have opinion. You have opinions. If you don't agree with ours, too bad, get over it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •