Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Not only does Shazier crush Mosley athletically, bet you didn't know ....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Oh - my mistake then. And it's reasonable to criticize Belichick for some of his drafting mistakes - he misses on his WR and CB picks with regularity. I wish he could find WR talent like the Steelers do, but not so much that I'd want to give up his acumen with figuring out how to put together an offensive line (and drafting lots of linemen and TEs over the years).
    I don't think its just the OL. He's got genuine offensive creativity (I'll give the creep his due), and the intense IQ to gameplan around the opponent. His D is not so great, but works out anyway, because the opponents are under constant pressure because of the O.

The same OL and TEs (and QB) with a lesser coach wouldn't be the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookie Watch: Joel Bitonio, Mosley lead workhorses

By Marc Sessler
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: Dec. 2, 2014

Welcome to Around The NFL's "Rookie Watch" series, a week-by-week journey ranking this year's promising collection of first-year players.

Between now and the end of the regular season, we'll chart this year's rookie class in an effort to predict which young players have the best chance at long careers in our nation's finest sport.

In recent weeks, we've unveiled our early picks for Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year, examined this year's top undrafted players, dropped the boom on a batch of first-year disappointments and made our list of late-round draft gems.

Now it's time to look at rookie workloads. Using snap counts provided by Pro Football Focus, the following is an assortment of draftees who have lived up to the billing, outplayed expectations and failed to get on the field:

The war daddies

Joel Bitonio, Browns (852 snaps)
    Zack Martin, Cowboys (804)
    Seantrel Henderson, Bills (802)
    Justin Britt, Seahawks (801)

Nobody in the league has played more snaps than Bitonio, Cleveland's mauling guard who ranks behind only Marshal Yanda at his position, per PFF. Had center Alex Mack stayed healthy alongside Bitonio and Joe Thomas, it's possible the Browns could have sent three O-linemen to the Pro Bowl. ... Martin feels like an all-star game shoo-in after anchoring the league's youngest and fiercest front five in Dallas. Like Bitonio, he hasn't missed a snap all year.

Right tackle Seantrel Henderson deserves credit for playing from wire to wire. He's struggled both as a run-blocker and pass-protector, though, with only Anthony Collins and Gosder Cherilus allowing more quarterback hits on the year at their position. ... The Seahawks have leaned on Britt from Day One to take over for the departed Breno Giacomini and Michael Bowie at right tackle. Calling Britt a "Wally Pipp story," coach Pete Carroll said last month: "He's studied like crazy, he's taken the responsiblity to heart, he's fit in beautifully with our guys and he's played really good football."

Pass-catching gold

Sammy Watkins, Bills (776)
    Odell Beckham Jr., Giants (520)
    John Brown, Cardinals (499)

Of this year's potentially historic crop of rookie wideouts, nobody's played more snaps than Watkins. The Bills playmaker has been streaky, though, following back-to-back 100-yard outbursts in Weeks 7 and 8 with 27, 32, 35 and 11 yards over his past four starts.

No first-year receiver has been better of late than Beckham, averaging 7.6 catches and 118.6 yards per outing since Week 9. His earth-rattling catch against the Cowboys two Sundays ago might have put him over the top for Offensive Rookie of the Year -- an astounding feat for someone who missed the first month of the season.

The runners

Jeremy Hill, Bengals (352)
    Tre Mason, Rams (249)

The running back class hasn't been especially potent, but gems exist. I'm impressed with Hill, who capably stepped into a lead role with the Bengals between Weeks 9 and 11 to average 120 yards per start. Advertised as a hammer-dropping inside runner, Hill has been much more with his ability to hit the edge and gain extra yardage with his quick cuts. His workload has been nearly equal to Giovani Bernard's 407 snaps.

Mason didn't earn his first start until Week 9, but he's fit in well with the St. Louis offense since. His 164 total yards and two touchdowns against the Raiders on Sunday were the product of his sneaky breakaway speed and dangerous pass-catching ability out of the backfield. Play-caller Brian Schottenheimer deserves credit for feeding Mason the ball and upping his snaps over the past month-plus.

Promise on the inside

C.J. Mosley, Ravens (817)
    Chris Borland, 49ers (387)

Mosley has been on our radar since August as a potential Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate at the inside linebacker spot. Leading the Ravens and all fellow rookies with 71 tackles, the former Alabama star trails only Bitonio in snaps played among draftees. Seeing more work as a pass-rusher in recent weeks, Mosley is arguably this season's most complete first-year defender.

Borland, though, has dazzled of late, piling up an outrageous 54 of his 69 tackles since Week 9. He ranks second among all rookies in that category behind Mosley despite 430 fewer snaps than the Ravens linebacker.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000437809/article/rookie-watch-joel-bitonio-mosley-lead-workhorses[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why are we still talking about CJ Mosley? Shazier has been hurt, CJ Mosely hasn't been hurt. The biggest thing in all of this is CJ Mosley is a RAVEN. We won't know what we have in Shazier until he stays on the field but when he was healthy he was lighting it up. He's not injury prone, just a bad stretch of luck.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How was shazier lighting it up? I barely noticed him when he was in there

As far as talking about mosley, he and shazier will always be compared because we passed on him and Baltimore grabbed him two picks later. Pretty simple

Legend

User Info Menu

injury prone: often sustaining injuries.

shazier is injury prone
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    How was shazier lighting it up? I barely noticed him when he was in there

As far as talking about mosley, he and shazier will always be compared because we passed on him and Baltimore grabbed him two picks later. Pretty simple
    I just don't see a point in keeping this thread alive on the board. We haven't seen a large enough sample size from Shazier to really pass any kind of opinion. Mosley has had the opportunity to showcase his skills, shazier hasn't and Squid his last injury was a freak accident. He got rolled up on and has been down since. He wasnt injury prone in college.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I just don't see a point in keeping this thread alive on the board. We haven't seen a large enough sample size from Shazier to really pass any kind of opinion. Mosley has had the opportunity to showcase his skills, shazier hasn't and Squid his last injury was a freak accident. He got rolled up on and has been down since. He wasnt injury prone in college.
    Doesn't matter if you see a point to it or not. Some of us like to discuss it. Mosley will forever be connected to Shazier because the Steelers could have drafted Mosley and didn't. So, any time we discuss Mosley we are discussing the Steelers FO incompetence. Also, Shazier has never lit it up at the pro level unless you want to count one preseason game.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Doesn't matter if you see a point to it or not. Some of us like to discuss it. Mosley will forever be connected to Shazier because the Steelers could have drafted Mosley and didn't. So, any time we discuss Mosley we are discussing the Steelers FO incompetence. Also, Shazier has never lit it up at the pro level unless you want to count one preseason game.
    Fine by me. The thread currently exists to knock shazier who has hardly played and draw comparison to a player that isn't on our team. It's just what our spoiled fan base needs. I'm no cheerleader but I just don't understand it, Mosley isn't going to be a Steeler and we have shazier.

Timmons is a bust
    We should have drafted Eddie Lacy
    Bustamalu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Fine by me. The thread currently exists to knock shazier who has hardly played and draw comparison to a player that isn't on our team. It's just what our spoiled fan base needs. I'm no cheerleader but I just don't understand it, Mosley isn't going to be a Steeler and we have shazier.

Timmons is a bust
    We should have drafted Eddie Lacy
    Bustamalu
    I think it's less to knock Shazier and more pointing to the lack of FO insight about recent draft picks. Shazier will be a good one with time. But, anyone with eyes could tell you that Mosley was ready for the pro game...now. And boy does this D need a now kind of talent. That is why it's relevant. And it's one more reason I would look at the GM as one of the first guys to let go.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

He wasn't lighting it up. He was a liability. He needs to get on the field to prove he's half the player Mosley is.

He wasn't very good in pass coverage (as his "athleticism" would indicate), and he was a complete liability in run defense. That is what happens when you have:

1) No Nose Tackle
    2) A 215 ILB that can't fight off a block and needs to run around o-lineman or else he gets swallowed up
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.