Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: tOSU fan board members - What say you?

How about this...Shazier is amazing...the best LBr since Lambert. Rah rah...great pick. I have no concerns. Does that make yall feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    When Willis came out I stated here that this guy is special...the way he engaged blockers, blew up backs, his ferocity and I advocated us drafting him. Shazier isn't Willis. He is something else...a hybrid safety/LBr who hasn't proven he can play above 230 pounds yet. He is a finesse player, doesn't like to mix it up with bigger guys, doesn't have a meanness. But, hey what do I know...I didn't play ball...don't bench press 550 pounds etc and so on. I love to toot the horn of Buckeyes. I just have real concerns. I'm not saying Shazier is going to bust out but he is a guy I am worried about. Maybe he shows up stronger, bigger and faster than ever...learns the system and is ROY. But, he isn't a DeCastro...he isn't a sure thing.
    Well at least we didn't pick Lewan. Sorry had to get that in.
    At 21 no reason he can't get bigger with time but nothing is a sure thing however there is a boat load of upside there and our D looked slow in 13. Reading the Colbert tea leaves speed at corner will be addressed at some point. Grimes has to be on the radar perhaps at 97.

Shawn calm down man! No I like to hear your thoughts. Most are BS But I still read them. So he will be a project. FINE! NOT MANY PLAYERS DO NOT HAVE THERE WARTS COMING INTO THE NFL! I will take the good and bad that Shazier has at this point. The time is to man up and work out, practice, ETC LIKE A PRO. I have high hopes for this young man. Hope he does become the next great Steelers LB. Do I think he will? Maybe? Anything is possible with hard work and talent. I bet it was not easy for Farrior his first 2 seasons with the Steelers. Oh and Farrior was also a WORK OUT WARRIOR like IKE! Most great players work there butts off to be great. Also I fell a ton better just seeing OVI in on this pick and as shocked as I was with the pick! Dang OVI you really are a Steelers fan deep down in there some were! Got to LOVE defense!

I just imagine things I suppose. Watch and wait....just like with Adams when I got ridiculed for my opinion. You trust stats over my eye...fair enough. He is so fast...and gifted athletically that he can make plays without physicality. He had like a 20 tackle game...and was ridiculous. But, when a G got locked on him he got pancaked. And NFL OLmen are going to engage him...they won't be impressed with his 40 time. He has to play at his combine weight or he will get wrecked...just owned. I assure you of that. If he rolls up into the season at 210-215 and wants to play ILB in the NFL...he will get punked.
    Show me one LB in the NFL who doesnt get pancaked by a 300 lb plus guard? The great ones get around or by these guys and usually it is with as less contact as possible. 144 tackles tells me he gets to the ball carrier. 23 tackles for loss and 7 sacks coming from 7 yards off the LOS tells me his closing speed is better than the feet and quickness of these guards.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Shawn calm down man! No I like to hear your thoughts. Most are BS But I still read them. So he will be a project. FINE! NOT MANY PLAYERS DO NOT HAVE THERE WARTS COMING INTO THE NFL! I will take the good and bad that Shazier has at this point. The time is to man up and work out, practice, ETC LIKE A PRO. I have high hopes for this young man. Hope he does become the next great Steelers LB. Do I think he will? Maybe? Anything is possible with hard work and talent. I bet it was not easy for Farrior his first 2 seasons with the Steelers. Oh and Farrior was also a WORK OUT WARRIOR like IKE! Most great players work there butts off to be great. Also I fell a ton better just seeing OVI in on this pick and as shocked as I was with the pick! Dang OVI you really are a Steelers fan deep down in there some were! Got to LOVE defense!
    I got ripped in chat and here because I have concerns. It's like we are not able to have adult discussions about talent. I have never said Shazier won't be good or great. I have said...I have concerns...boom/bust etc. Yet that is "whining" and "puts bad energy into the universe". Shazier isn't a homerun pick. He is a guy who has to get bigger and better in order to be a good pro. Do I think he will? Actually I do...but Shazier was a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Show me one LB in the NFL who doesnt get pancaked by a 300 lb plus guard? The great ones get around or by these guys and usually it is with as less contact as possible. 144 tackles tells me he gets to the ball carrier. 23 tackles for loss and 7 sacks coming from 7 yards off the LOS tells me his closing speed is better than the feet and quickness of these guards.
    Ugh...ok you win. Dee Dub even though you rarely watch the Buckeyes...you know all. Thank you for your wise analysis of stats you didn't see happen. No one every said the guy doesn't make plays. I question how his game translates to the NFL. Seriously, you have a pretty poor history with draft analysis. What makes you an expert on a player you have little to no exposure to?

"YOU CAN'T JUST GO BY COMBINE NUMBERS!!!!!!"
    But he had 143 tackles and 7 sacks for OSU last year....

"YOU CAN'T JUST GO BY PRODUCTION!!!"
    But he broke records at the combine for his athletic ability....

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    But he had 143 tackles and 7 sacks for OSU last year....

"YOU CAN'T JUST GO BY PRODUCTION!!!"
    But he broke records at the combine for his athletic ability....

If production is what you measure a college talent by in terms of translation to the NFL...the Landry Jones should be ALL World. The fact is this...a player can be fast...gifted...and productive but certain deficiencies in their game keep them from being great pros. I use my eye...and I seen things in Shazier's game that concern me. If that makes you all uncomfortable...sorry. But, he will have to be able to engage blockers, sort thru trash...instead of around the trash...he needs to keep his explosiveness playing at 235+. He must get better in pass D. He is a work in progress with much upside...a finesse player who needs to get more physical if he wishes to succeed at the next level at ILB.

Not that it matters now,but if the Bears wouldn't have taken Fuller,would the Steelers have taken him over Shazier? I would love to have seen the Steelers draft board.

Legend
    Ugh...ok you win. Dee Dub even though you rarely watch the Buckeyes...you know all. Thank you for your wise analysis of stats you didn't see happen. No one every said the guy doesn't make plays. I question how his game translates to the NFL. Seriously, you have a pretty poor history with draft analysis. What makes you an expert on a player you have little to no exposure to?
    Dub's draft analysis is all sensation. I'm not that high on the pick but it's a position of need. I preferred Mosley but it looks like we don't trust Bama players.