Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: tOSU fan board members - What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Shazier is playing inside. Can you really complain about a 1st rounder potentially taking the spot of a guy coming off a catastrophic injury who's not played one down of NFL football and a 6th round draft pick who was forced to play because of an injury to Larry Foote?

Not me. Shazier was 6'1 237 at the NFL combine. You know who plays inside LB at 6'1, 240 pounds??? Patrick Willis. Is he big enough?
    Shazier had never proven he can play at that weight. His football weight is 210-220. He looks about the size of Troy on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Shazier had never proven he can play at that weight. His football weight is 210-220. He looks about the size of Troy on the field.
    Perhaps...but, he certainly didn't seem to lose any speed or explosiveness with the extra weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Perhaps...but, he certainly didn't seem to lose any speed or explosiveness with the extra weight...
    That's a good point and I must admit that makes me excited. He has a very high ceiling...just think he is a bit of a project.

Hall of Famer
    You know...I can't believe there are so many upset with the Steelers drafting a Patrick Willis type of ILB. The 3-4 is all about the backers...They just solidified the front end for at least a 5 year window & run at SBs. They get a couple cover guys in this mix...Guys...It could be special.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    You know...I can't believe there are so many upset with the Steelers drafting a Patrick Willis type of ILB. The 3-4 is all about the backers...They just solidified the front end for at least a 5 year window & run at SBs. They get a couple cover guys in this mix...Guys...It could be special.
    I would be happy with a Patrick Willis pick. The problem is we didn't draft Patrick Willis. We drafted a guy that, as Shawn points out, had a playing weight of around 220 and isn't known for his instincts and his ability to shift thru the trash and fight off blocks.... all requirements of a 3-4 ILB. For those that are even thinking about it... please don't use the "Farrior's playing weight was 220 argument".

Patrick Willis was considered a natural (and athletic) fit as a 3-4 ILB. He was plug-in-play. I just can't help to think that we drafted more of an "athlete" than a football player. Willis was both and had the instincts.

Hall of Famer
    Shazier was 237 at combine & his proday when he put up those ridiculous numbers. He also said he felt comfortable with that as his playing weight. 25 reps with 32 1/2" arms is pretty impressive. He was small early at OSU but he developed. Can't coach or find what he has in a weight room.

Shazier was 237 at combine & his proday when he put up those ridiculous numbers. He also said he felt comfortable with that as his playing weight. 25 reps with 32 1/2" arms is pretty impressive. He was small early at OSU but he developed. Can't coach or find what he has in a weight room.
    Very true. I'm excited about the guys athletic ability. With that being said, the games are played on football fields, not weight rooms.

Hall of Famer
    If he can hold that weight, he could be special. But, then why did he play mostly at 215? Certainly even ten more pounds would have helped in the Big Ten. I really hope he can hold 235 and play at that weight. That would help him a lot.

The comparisons to Willis are not justified at this point. Shazier has the athleticism, but the instincts and stoutness at the POA are not there (not really close). I have seen many of Shazier's games. Frankly, I'm excited about what the kid can do and his potential. But, many of the expectations and comparisons are not that realistic.

But, this is par for the course on the message board. Most either hate the pick and think he will be a complete bust or (conversely) they believe he will be the next all pro at the position. The truth is usually and likely somewhere in between.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend
    Farrior was about the same size during the season.

Legend
    About the same weight that James Farrior said he was playing at.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!