Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: i never want to here we draft PBA again

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was a little surprised they passed on Dennard....Not Mosley. I'm am 110% happy with the Shazier pick. You tend to assume that when the grades are close "need" will trump everything. Since they passed on Dennard & selected Shazier over Mosley...You have to think Shazier was a top 10 guy on the Steeler board.

I have my draft strategy below & my Steelers board I posted. I had Shazier at #15 & Dennard at #14. What I did have was Mosely at #8. I understand the Steelers like Shazier more. Shazier is a hybrid. He will get his hat at ILB but he can rush the passer & cover. The only thing I had Mosley better at was run defense. Shazier's ceiling far surpassed Mosley's. This is about "fit" & what the Steelers want to do. Shazier has the ability to be splash guy like Troy was early on...I didn't see Mosley as that type. I saw Mosley as a plug & play 10 year starter. 3 down backer. The ability to play at a Pro Bowl level. A very solid pick at #15. Shazier has the abilities to exceed that...And I'm OK with that foresight. The Steelers passing on Mosley for Shazier may have a little to do about injury concerns. That's just something we will never know about.

Passing on Dennard tells me two things. The Steelers were VERY high on Shazier...AND they really like CBs in rounds 2-4. I'm fine with that.

Interesting enough. The Steelers sub package played 65% + snaps. It is easy to right off Spence but think about this. If Spence returns to form...You got (3) Hybrid backers you could stand up in the middle. You rush Worilds & Jones at DE & put Heyward and a player to be named later inside...I'm really liking that nickel package.

Draft Strategy:
    A. Evans
    B. Gilbert
    C. Fuller
    D. Dennard

* Trade Down

E. Mosley
    F. Ebron
    G. Barr
    H. Shazier
    I. Beckham
    J. Benjamin

My Top 20 grades on Steelers Board:
    1.Mack
    2.Clowney
    3.Robinson
    4.Watkins
    5.Matthews
    6.Evans
    7.Lewan
    8.Mosley
    9.Donald
    10.Gilbert
    11.Ebron
    12.Barr
    13.Fuller
    14.Dennard
    15.Shazier
    16.Beckham
    17.Benjamin
    18.Cooks
    19.Roby
    20.Clinton-Dix
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 05-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    well, I'm sure they believe they are right and that's why they took him. LOL...
    And I'm sure they believed they were right when they took Ziggy Hood. My point is, it's foolish to be so locked into one guy that you wouldn't even consider a trade offer, particularly where, as here, there was a hyped QB on the board and a team directly behind you that had been linked to him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    And I'm sure they believed they were right when they took Ziggy Hood. My point is, it's foolish to be so locked into one guy that you wouldn't even consider a trade offer, particularly where, as here, there was a hyped QB on the board and a team directly behind you that had been linked to him.
    Did that team behind us pick the hyped QB?

Why would a team directly behind us move up when they know damn well we aren't drafting a QB?
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-09-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We can't assume one way or the other about a trade unless we here something from the Steelers. One thing is for certain..If they liked Shazier they wouldn't have been trading back for him. Jerry Jones is on record saying Shazier was a Cowboy.

Legend

User Info Menu

How do you know they didn't consider it and have multiple discussions? If no one wants to trade why sit they and wait?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    this was a terrible reach,
    it didnt cover any of our top 5 needs.
    If he's a stud on D (pro bowl level) we can live with that. Let it play out. Speed seems to be the general need Colbert is looking to upgrade and you have to like that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    this was a terrible reach,
    it didnt cover any of our top 5 needs.
    The statement doesn't make much sense, if we operate under the assumption that the front office is completely ignorant. When teams reach in the draft, they reach for a need position, and leave better players on the board who are not at a position of as much need.

1999 is the prime example as a Steeler draft. Their biggest need was WR. First receiver off the board was Torry Holt. Next was David Boston. After that the drop off was dramatic...and the third receiver picked was the REACH Troy Edwards at 13. Other players left on the board were John Tait, Jevon Kearse, Woody, Stinchcomb, and Antoine Winfield. If LB was not a need position, they would never have reached.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Did that team behind us pick the hyped QB?

Why would a team directly behind us move up when they know damn well we aren't drafting a QB?
    I'm saying why not reach out to any of the QB needy teams, and offer the chance at Manziel before the Cowboys went on the clock. Not suggesting a trade with Dallas.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    How do you know they didn't consider it and have multiple discussions? If no one wants to trade why sit they and wait?
    Use some of the allotted time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Initially, I thought that they took more time. With so many holes, and Manziel on the board, I think it was foolish for them not to listen to offers and shop the pick. This could have been an opportunity to stockpile picks and restock the cupboard.

Rushing to grab Shazier shows a certain arrogance in the FO. An arrogance that, based on recent history (Mendenhall, Ziggy), is not as warranted as it once was.
    agreed

cleveland was itching for johnny. rumors still had the

cowboys interested as well as the cards who traded down

edit...and everyone needs to relax on the "they had him targeted all along".
    there are plemnty of people who say ebron and fuller would have been the pick if they were available...amongst others i can assure you
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 05-09-2014 at 05:23 PM.