Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Donald/Kyle Fuller

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I would agree with height issue being a non issue. He seemed like a hard worker to me. That was not the issue imho. To say he didn't like to fight through blocks is something I don't understand. You can sum up Ziggy like this... regardless of how strong you are if your the last guy moving once the ball is snapped it's hard if not impossible to be very effective. His ability to stack and shed was so so at best so that led to him not being a difference maker as a 5 tech.

Regarding Dallas and Donald being on the board I would jump at a 5th round pick and let them move up a spot to grab him.

No way for a 5th. Would have to be for their 4th rounder at (119) and their 7th rounder at (231)...otherwise...No deal! It's called Supply and demand Baby. Not that it matters cause no way Donald falls to 15. I doubt he gets by either Buffalo, and Tennessee.

Rookie

User Info Menu

When you line up at the 5 tech DE, you are lined up over an OT...ideally, you want your 5 tech to have some length...

Cam Heyward: 6' 5"
    Aaron Smith: 6' 5"
    Brett Keisel: 6' 5"

That length helps keep that OT off of you and the height allows you to see over the other offensive linemen into the backfield...

Ziggy was a hard worker and the Steelers thought they could take that work ethic and help him succeed...the success was limited...

Legend

User Info Menu

This is pure conjecture which is not going to happen (because he's sure to be gone before we pick anyway), but since Donald does not fit in a 3-4 NT or a 3-4 DE, I think his best position in our base defense would be as a latter-day version of big ol' Levon Kirkland in the middle as the thumper ILB next to Timmons (Kirk was listed at 6'1" 275, Donald at 6'1" 285) and then have him put his hand on the ground to rush the passer from a DL spot in the nickel and dime packages.

Compare Donald's combine performance to that of Chris Borland, an ILB who should come off the board on day two. In spite of an almost 40 lbs. difference in weight, Donald had a better 40 time than Borland (4.68 vs. 4.83), better bench (35 vs. 27), better vertical jump (32 vs. 31), better broad jump (116 vs. 114), and better 3 cone (7.11 vs. 7.18). Very few big men are athletic to do the things that Kirkland did once upon a time, but I think Donald is one of those types of guys that are an exception.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    When you line up at the 5 tech DE, you are lined up over an OT...ideally, you want your 5 tech to have some length...

That length helps keep that OT off of you and the height allows you to see over the other offensive linemen into the backfield...

Ziggy was a hard worker and the Steelers thought they could take that work ethic and help him succeed...the success was limited...

I understand what you are saying sir. But it is not unheard of that alot of 3-4 defenses have short DE's. I mean the Ravens drafted Williams last year, and he is starting at DE for them. And he is SHORTER then Donald is. And the Chargers a few years back in round 1 drafted Corey Liuget, and he was just over 6ft, 1, 295..and he has been their starting DE in the 3-4 defense. And neither of those two players have anywhere near the strength or speed that Donald has.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    This is pure conjecture which is not going to happen (because he's sure to be gone before we pick anyway), but since Donald does not fit in a 3-4 NT or a 3-4 DE, I think his best position in our base defense would be as a latter-day version of big ol' Levon Kirkland in the middle as the thumper ILB next to Timmons (Kirk was listed at 6'1" 275, Donald at 6'1" 285) and then have him put his hand on the ground to rush the passer from a DL spot in the nickel and dime packages.

Compare Donald's combine performance to that of Chris Borland, an ILB who should come off the board on day two. In spite of an almost 40 lbs. difference in weight, Donald had a better 40 time than Borland (4.68 vs. 4.83), better bench (35 vs. 27), better vertical jump (32 vs. 31), better broad jump (116 vs. 114), and better 3 cone (7.11 vs. 7.18). Very few big men are athletic to do the things that Kirkland did once upon a time, but I think Donald is one of those types of guys that are an exception.
    You described it perfectly. Donald is not a template player but a talent that could be used in a number of different ways.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So a team that can't rush the passer and get sacks now has the luxury to pass on potentially the best pass rusher and most disruptive defensive lineman in the draft because he "doesn't fit the system?" Really? Perhaps we should continue with the approach of putting our #1 draft pick on the sidleines to watch because he isn't strong enough or fast enough. Maybe he can then produce in the final year of his rookie contract so we can "tag" him at a rate of $9M per year?

How about we mandate that our Hall of Fame, "genius" defensive coordinator find a way to use him? Radical thought I know.

if donald is the pick. thats what i would fear

ziggy hood 'learning the system' all over again

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    I think it is unfair to say Donald could not play DE in a 3-4. I mean Donald is 285Lbs at under 6ft, 1. Aaron Smith was 295 when he played DE for us, but he was 6ft, 5. So at 10 Lbs less is not a big deal when you factor in Donald's height. Also, Donald was amazingly fast, and did 36 Reps at the Combine...among the best of everyone there. So considering all that, why do you or anyone else automatically say he could not be a 3-4 DE ?
    who's the last 6'0 285 DE to play for us in this 3-4 system?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

and i believe ziggy's arm length to be a problem as well. because he was shorter (and with shorter arms)

OTs were better able to get their hands on him

again, a big reason why we look for those 6'4 -6'5 guys for that position

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    who's the last 6'0 285 DE to play for us in this 3-4 system?

Lucky Donald is 6ft 1 without shoes, and 6ft, 2 in them huh ?

Legend

User Info Menu

ok

who's the last 6'1 / 6'2 285 LB DE to play in this system?