Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Spence ready to return

Legend

User Info Menu

Sean Spence ready to return

Sean Spence ready to return

Updated: May 5, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Sean Spence has been given "a clean bill of health" and that the inside linebacker could figure into the team's plans this season.

"We can't wait to watch him take the next step in this process," Tomlin said Monday, "which is play football."

Linebacker Sean Spence has yet to play in an NFL regular-season game after suffering what was thought to be a career-threatening knee injury during a 2012 preseason game.

Spence, a third-round draft pick in 2012, hasn't played since sustaining a career-threatening knee injury in the Steelers' final preseason game his rookie season. Linebackers coach Keith Butler said last year that it would be a "miracle" if Spence played again after he shredded several ligaments and suffered nerve damage in his knee.

But Spence is working out with his teammates in Pittsburgh's offseason program, and he is a candidate to contribute at a position where the Steelers could use an impact player.

"I'm not going to assume he's starting from ground zero," Tomlin said. "These haven't been empty days for him since he's been here in terms of the rehabilitation process and what's he's been able to do in terms of learning our system."

The Steelers drafted Spence with the hopes that the former Miami Hurricanes standout would become a long-term starter at inside linebacker. Tomlin said it is too early to tell how much Spence will be able to do on the field or whether he will be the player he was before the injury.

In other Steelers news:

• Offensive tackle Mike Adams received a vote of confidence from Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert on Monday. There had been speculation about Adams' standing since late last week, when three men were found not guilty of stabbing him last year after defense lawyers argued that Adams had been drunk and made up a story that his alleged assailants tried to carjack him. "I'll say one thing," Colbert said. "I'm just glad Mike Adams is a Steeler."

• Tomlin said the Steelers have not ruled out bringing back veteran defensive end Brett Keisel for one more season. The 12th-year veteran remains unsigned but the Steelers have been focusing on the draft, where they are expected to draft at least one defensive end prospect. "Obviously it's incomplete," he said of the defensive end position. "We've lost more than weve added. We'll rectify that."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10886324/sean-spence-pittsburgh-steelers-gets-clean-bill-health[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Would be great to have him back. However, his one outstanding quality when we saw him during his rookie training camp was his speed...hopefully this injury will not have sapped him of his one outstanding attribute. Although he hasn't had a chance to play with his teammates on the field yet, he has been able to soak up the defense during team and position meetings while undergoing his rehab, so he should at least have an understanding of the scheme as he attempts to resume his football career. I'll be rooting for the kid, for sure.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Excellent news. I think he will get every opportunity to be the starting ILB alongside of Timmons. He's a smart, fast and a very instinctive and explosive player. I just hope his knee holds up.

Starter

User Info Menu

I hope jt works out,but two years of not playing is along time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just glad the guy can walk again, let alone resume his NFL dreams. The ILB corp definitely needs him.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

I wonder if his teammates will give him the nickname "Flamingo" for that knee bend?

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I wonder if his teammates will give him the nickname "Flamingo" for that knee bend?

Ouch!!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

"Clean bill of health". This is the best news I've heard in a while! I am super excited for this kid.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

"I'll say one thing," Colbert said. "I'm just glad Mike Adams is a Steeler."
    Why on earth would Colbert say this? Is he psyched when Pgh has sh-tty players on the roster?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Just as excited as we are about sh-tty posters...