Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Spence ready to return

Sean Spence practices Tuesday, the uphill climb for him to make it back isn't over

Just like that, he's back.

Steelers linebacker Sean Spence practiced fully today, as noted by BTSC writer Dale Grdnic, one of the rare practices the third-year linebacker has had since August, 2012.

Judging by his fearless nature on the field, even if Spence knew during practice Tuesday, Aug. 28 two days later, he would suffer a tremendous knee injury in a preseason game against Carolina, he would change anything. Even if he was told in advance that afternoon it would be the last practice he would have on a right knee that hadn't been surgically repaired, he may not have approached that game against the Panthers any differently.

But would the Steelers have been a better defense over the last two years?

Veteran LB Larry Foote went down with a torn biceps during the Steelers' Week 1 loss to Tennessee last season, bumping Kion Wilson into in-game replacement, and rookie Vince Williams into an unexpected starting role. Maybe that would have been Spence's spot, a year after the team made the smallish but fierce Miami linebacker their pick in the third round.

Perhaps he learned a lot his rookie year, taking a few lumps as rookies do, but making a few plays, like athletes similar to Spence do. Maybe the Steelers find their future linebacker last season, and because of that, pass on Ryan Shazier in this year's draft - or don't get a shot at him because they're drafting in the 20s somewhere.

Maybe none of it matters. Spence likely noticed the Steelers had Shazier starting opposite Lawrence Timmons at the first practice of the first OTAs session Tuesday in Pittsburgh. Regardless of what happened, two things are certain; Spence is back practicing fully, and the uphill climb for him to earn a roster spot after adversity few athletes ever have to face has begun.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...pth-chart-2014

Starter
    I am sure this kid will make the most of his opportunities. The tough part is behind him for the most part. Now he just gets to go out and compete for a chance to play in the NFL... which I'm sure is what kept him motivated during his rehab. If the knee holds up, I'm saying he makes the team this year... and sees the field.

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    True but they didn't prove anything on an NFL field. If we went strictly by this mindset, Ryan Leaf should be in the NFL HOF because he "tested well" and PRODUCED on the field of play.
    Who in the draft has produced anything on an NFL field?

If they picked unproductive players who were merely fast, you might have a point...

However, they didn't...they picked productive players who are also fast...

I'm not seeing a problem here...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    True but they didn't prove anything on an NFL field. If we went strictly by this mindset, Ryan Leaf should be in the NFL HOF because he "tested well" and PRODUCED on the field of play.
    I don't know where the Hall of Fame thing came from...we are talking about how GM's decide who to draft. When deciding who to draft, you evaluate game tape and then Combine tests, private workouts, interviews, etc. You are claiming that we are greater weight on things like 40 times in shorts as opposed to actual production on the field. I was claiming that guys like Shazier and Archer tested well and also had solid production on film as well. Neither is a Mamula level workout warrior, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type. You want guys who play well and work out well, and these guys do both. If our first round pick had a blistering 40 time, but did jack squat on the field when playing actual football, then that would be an issue, but it's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I don't know where the Hall of Fame thing came from...we are talking about how GM's decide who to draft. When deciding who to draft, you evaluate game tape and then Combine tests, private workouts, interviews, etc. You are claiming that we are greater weight on things like 40 times in shorts as opposed to actual production on the field. I was claiming that guys like Shazier and Archer tested well and also had solid production on film as well. Neither is a Mamula level workout warrior, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type. You want guys who play well and work out well, and these guys do both. If our first round pick had a blistering 40 time, but did jack squat on the field when playing actual football, then that would be an issue, but it's not the case.
    I'm not talking about how they decided to draft. I'm talking about how they are decided to have Shazier running with the first team defense when he and all other rookies haven't earned it yet. I'm talking about how Tomlin talks a good game and says.. "Rookies have to earn starting job" or even "playing time" but then goes against his words and hands the job to Shazier or any other rookie for that matter. What ever happened to "practicing what you preach"?

I don't mind Shazier starting but I don't like that he is being handed the job. Make him earn it in training camp. Don't hand him the job in OTAs.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    No one's being handed anything right now. There aren't even pads on yet. This is being blown out of proportion.

When they get to Latrobe and start hitting, and when they start playing preseason games, we'll see whether Shazier or Williams or Spence or whoever is playing better. Right now, these are just glorified walkthroughs, especially for those who make their money by hitting people.

ILB is going to be a fun camp battle if he's anywhere near the ILB he was before... Him, Vince and Shazier will all be learning and improving at rapid pace... I'd finally feel comfortable about the spot next to Timmons...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

I'm not talking about how they decided to draft. I'm talking about how they are decided to have Shazier running with the first team defense when he and all other rookies haven't earned it yet. I'm talking about how Tomlin talks a good game and says.. "Rookies have to earn starting job" or even "playing time" but then goes against his words and hands the job to Shazier or any other rookie for that matter. What ever happened to "practicing what you preach"?

I don't mind Shazier starting but I don't like that he is being handed the job. Make him earn it in training camp. Don't hand him the job in OTAs.
    If Larry Foote was there, he woudln't be starting. HOWEVER, when his top two guys for competition are both young and have played in fewer than 16 NFL games, I'm ok with penciling in your rookie first rounder, if for no other reason than to get him reps.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Sean Spence participating in Steelers offseason workouts

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 6, 2014

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Sean Spence in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft with the hope he would add to the lineage of standout Steelers linebackers.

However, a gruesome knee injury in the 2012 preseason has kept Spence from appearing in a single game for the Steelers the last two seasons.

Spence suffered a torn ACL and LCL, a dislocated knee cap and nerve damage when he was blocked while chasing after Carolina Panthers backup quarterback Jimmy Clausen.

Spence returned to the practice field for the Steelers last October after beginning the season on the physically unable to perform list. After practicing for three weeks, Spence ultimately landed on injured reserve, officially ending his second season in the league.

However, Spence is continuing to progress toward a return that was once thought to require a “miraculous” recovery to even be possible.

According to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Spence has participated in all six of the Steelers OTAs over the past two weeks.

“It is still a process,” Spence said. “This is just step one of coming out and competing and reacting off of other guys instead of cones. When I get to Latrobe (for training camp), I will be able to test it even more there.”

Head coach Mike Tomlin said in May he “can’t wait to watch” Spence play football again. Considering how close Spence’s career came to being over, making it back on the field for preseason games should be considered a major accomplishment. If he can make the roster, Spence may be able to give Pittsburgh an unexpected boost on defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ason-workouts/

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I am sure this kid will make the most of his opportunities. The tough part is behind him for the most part. Now he just gets to go out and compete for a chance to play in the NFL... which I'm sure is what kept him motivated during his rehab. If the knee holds up, I'm saying he makes the team this year... and sees the field.
    Actually, I think the hardest part is in front of him; he understands football, he knows how to play football, but what he has never had to do is trust a completely surgically repaired knee to the point that you need to trust it to compete in the NFL. The mental aspect of what happened to him will be the hardest hurdle for him to get over, IMO.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll