Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barr looks to be falling

Legend

User Info Menu

Barr looks to be falling

A lot of mock drafts that I've seen recently seem to have Anthony Barr falling - maybe down to the Steelers at 15. When this process began it looked like he was a 10-15 type pick. After the combine and pro day results, he was "guaranteed" to be a top 10 pick. Suddenly he seems to be the forgotten man - to the mock draft types anyway...

So, my question is this: If Gilbert and Dennard are gone, and nobody else unexpectedly falls, would you draft Barr? He looks to be an exceptional prospect as a 3-4 OLB, and is probably BPA if he does fall to 15.

Currently we have two starters in place with little depth beyond the two. Jarvis Jones had an underwhelming rookie season, but so do almost all Steeler rookie defenders. Jason Worilds has a big ticket for 2014, is not signed beyond that, and has a spotty resume at best, but came on at the end of last season. He looks to be a better prospect than Jones was, and he will be needed to start in 2015 if Worilds is not signed long-term, he runs into injury issues, or Jones fails to improve.

My thought is that I would draft him. Too many OLB starters you say? In a 3-4 D, that is not the worst problem to have. Find a CB and WR in rounds 2 & 3, and DT, DE, ILB, TE, and scatback after that. IMO Barr may be too good a player to pass on.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    A lot of mock drafts that I've seen recently seem to have Anthony Barr falling - maybe down to the Steelers at 15. When this process began it looked like he was a 10-15 type pick. After the combine and pro day results, he was "guaranteed" to be a top 10 pick. Suddenly he seems to be the forgotten man - to the mock draft types anyway...

So, my question is this: If Gilbert and Dennard are gone, and nobody else unexpectedly falls, would you draft Barr? He looks to be an exceptional prospect as a 3-4 OLB, and is probably BPA if he does fall to 15.

Currently we have two starters in place with little depth beyond the two. Jarvis Jones had an underwhelming rookie season, but so do almost all Steeler rookie defenders. Jason Worilds has a big ticket for 2014, is not signed beyond that, and has a spotty resume at best, but came on at the end of last season. He looks to be a better prospect than Jones was, and he will be needed to start in 2015 if Worilds is not signed long-term, he runs into injury issues, or Jones fails to improve.

My thought is that I would draft him. Too many OLB starters you say? In a 3-4 D, that is not the worst problem to have. Find a CB and WR in rounds 2 & 3, and DT, DE, ILB, TE, and scatback after that. IMO Barr may be too good a player to pass on.

Barr put up very consistent Sack numbers the last two seasons. But the Combine expossed a lot of Barr's weaknesses. Which are his very less then average upper body strength...Barr at UCLA, when he wasn't breaking free to the QB, he was getting Mauled. And Barr was very bad in coverage...the few times he had to do it. Now a player may be able to get away with that in college...but not in a 3-4 NFL Defense. Barr needs to be a stand up edge rusher on a 4-man line. And he can produce doing that. But not with us. I don't see him as being a good pick at all for us. Hope Pittsburgh doesn't make that mistake IF Barr is there at 15.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    Barr put up very consistent Sack numbers the last two seasons. But the Combine expossed a lot of Barr's weaknesses. Which are his very less then average upper body strength...Barr at UCLA, when he wasn't breaking free to the QB, he was getting Mauled. And Barr was very bad in coverage...the few times he had to do it. Now a player may be able to get away with that in college...but not in a 3-4 NFL Defense. Barr needs to be a stand up edge rusher on a 4-man line. And he can produce doing that. But not with us. I don't see him as being a good pick at all for us. Hope Pittsburgh doesn't make that mistake IF Barr is there at 15.
    We got a too weak to play OLB last year, do we really need another this year? I would also pass on Barr.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    Strength is not really his game. His length and speed is. Like Aldon Smith. Throw out his combine numbers. See 4.44 40 yard dash at his pro day. Anyone who gets this cat where ever they get him, is going to get a game changer.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Dude has only played defense for 2 years. Some serious upside...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Dude has only played defense for 2 years. Some serious upside...
    Yep!! And I think the fact that he is a former RB, will one day make him an above average cover man in a 3-4 zone blitz.

Starter

User Info Menu

Strengths

Exceptional take-off speed, acceleration and closing burst. Makes plays effortlessly in back-side lateral pursuit. Outstanding recovery quickness to make plays (when he is out of position). Explosive striker. Can produce "wow" plays when he triggers quickly or releases cleanly and has developed a reputation for knocking quarterbacks out of games (see USC, 2012 and New Mexico State, 2013).

Starter

User Info Menu

Weaknesses

Developing instincts -- late to locate the ball and too easily fooled by play-action and misdirection. Motor runs hot and cold -- does not always apply himself. Can be locked down too easily when engaged -- unrefined hand use. Lacks variety of pass-rush moves and relies too much on natural speed. Average eyes, anticipation and awareness in coverage — marginal feel. Average base strength -- moved off the ball too easily by tight ends (plays tall). Needs more time in the weight room -- 15 bench-press reps were tied for the fewest among linebackers at the combine.

Starter

User Info Menu

The Steelers don't need a "project" at 15

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    The Steelers don't need a "project" at 15
    Because you read his weaknesses you come to the conclusion that he is a project?

I'll say this, since I have seen him play all of his games the past two years, other than Khalil Mack, he is the most NFL ready 3-4 OLB in this draft. Some of you are missing the boat on Barr.